Beam Spring 104+SSK Reproduction Project! First Batch In Stock, Shipping early next year after New Model F Project

dcopellino

21 Aug 2021, 15:04

Heisenberg122 wrote:
09 Aug 2021, 20:57
Thinking of reproduction of beamspring switches; it's fantastic. But the case doesn't look authentic. If I choose the beamspring, that's because of that I prefer typing feel, quality and of course authenticity. Authenticity is last but not least. Authenticity is for looking and also for feeling the history as well. It's the most important complementary component for this kind of project in my opinion. As for the Model F project those three-parameter values have been reached; typing feel, quality and authenticity (for both look and feel). This time it's a lack of authenticity. I hope Ellipse will work on another case design that is befitting to the glory of the beamspring.
While ellipse has accustomed us to the highest quality standard with the model f project, I think we can't ask him the only thing he can't give us: the authenticity or everything else involves a genuine 40 years old model b that only an original part could give in terms of nostalgic load, so to speak. Even if I am among the lucky owners of a genuine beamspring 8775, thanks to the generosity and stubborn skill of DT user Shine.
u9IVpUx.jpg
u9IVpUx.jpg (1.22 MiB) Viewed 24896 times
I stay curious about trying this revolutionary bs keycap re-engineering that even I would like to practice in a different and more refined case as I suggested to Ellipse in the interest check form.
Furthermore, i'd like to add that compared to the model f project, here the amount requested seems to me more justified. So, good luck for everything and my congrats for this new wonderful initiative.

BucklingSprings

22 Aug 2021, 00:50

Johnbo wrote:
12 Aug 2021, 00:27
depletedvespene wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 21:57
Dude, you forgot the sixth numpad row. ¿How are we going to turn the numpad into a hexapad without it? :mrgreen:
My bad, how's this? ;)
Spoiler:
B156.jpg
Cyrosran22 would approve ;)

tiltowait

22 Aug 2021, 23:25

xxhellfirexx wrote:
08 Aug 2021, 09:41
Liopleus wrote:
08 Aug 2021, 09:30
Does it have trouble registering keys pressed in quick succession like the original beamspring boards?
If you are talking about Thomas' original review video, that problem was because the solenoid extend/retract time was too slow to keep up with the keypresses. Once that setting was changed, it is fine. Beamsprings have no trouble keeping up with 100+ WPM.
Can confirm. I can hit 130wpm on my beamspring (which is my limit, not the keyboard's). I can outrace the solenoid pretty easily at my settings (if I'm copying text), but it doesn't affect the operation of the keyboard.

Jacobalbertus1

23 Aug 2021, 05:30

wating to pit one of these things against a 4978 to see what is the kind the reproduction or the original monster

Icemanrec

23 Aug 2021, 10:22

do we know at what point invoices are being sent out yet?

nickg

24 Aug 2021, 02:07

Ellipse wrote:
20 Aug 2021, 18:40
By signing up now you are reserving a spot for either the first or the next round (please specify in your reservation).

I dont remember if i mentioned it when i signed up but i would prefer round 1.

ZedTheMan

24 Aug 2021, 06:11

Wish I could wait and waffle, haha. I already spent my fun money for this year.

Yellow_5

24 Aug 2021, 19:33

Wow, I can't believe this project is being done. I registered my interest in getting a 104 yesterday, but at that time I didn't have a handle here. I was curious if I still was able to get in to batch 1, as it looked like I might be close. I typically don't post comments, or join forums, but for this keyboard, it is worth it. Hopefully I made it on the list.

You have discussed sound a few times in this thread. I'm curious if you could post a youtube video of what the board sounds like. It won't deter me, but it would be great to hear what you are hearing.

shine

24 Aug 2021, 20:12

<3
dcopellino wrote:
21 Aug 2021, 15:04
Heisenberg122 wrote:
09 Aug 2021, 20:57
Thinking of reproduction of beamspring switches; it's fantastic. But the case doesn't look authentic. If I choose the beamspring, that's because of that I prefer typing feel, quality and of course authenticity. Authenticity is last but not least. Authenticity is for looking and also for feeling the history as well. It's the most important complementary component for this kind of project in my opinion. As for the Model F project those three-parameter values have been reached; typing feel, quality and authenticity (for both look and feel). This time it's a lack of authenticity. I hope Ellipse will work on another case design that is befitting to the glory of the beamspring.
While ellipse has accustomed us to the highest quality standard with the model f project, I think we can't ask him the only thing he can't give us: the authenticity or everything else involves a genuine 40 years old model b that only an original part could give in terms of nostalgic load, so to speak. Even if I am among the lucky owners of a genuine beamspring 8775, thanks to the generosity and stubborn skill of DT user Shine.
u9IVpUx.jpg
I stay curious about trying this revolutionary bs keycap re-engineering that even I would like to practice in a different and more refined case as I suggested to Ellipse in the interest check form.
Furthermore, i'd like to add that compared to the model f project, here the amount requested seems to me more justified. So, good luck for everything and my congrats for this new wonderful initiative.

digital_matthew

25 Aug 2021, 17:56

Just registered my interest for the 104-key with great anticipation. I'll have to cull most of my collection for this, but this is definitely my destination keyboard. You are a sorcerer, Ellipse.

knight of zero

26 Aug 2021, 12:40

the verticality makes the keys - the whole mechanism - look
very vulnerable to damage.

Maybe the whole mechanism is very strong against bumping and
my visual impression is way off - I'm thinking
leaving the case on the desk and the cleaners shove it around a bit.

Personally I would turn this keyboard upside down and/or put a dust
cover over it every time I walk away.

I registered interest yesterday but am hoping we can get slightly deeper cases
or some rigid risers of some kind to make it less easy to damage
Last edited by knight of zero on 26 Aug 2021, 13:06, edited 2 times in total.

knight of zero

26 Aug 2021, 12:43

Oh, yeah- suggestion: ditch the solenoid, ship these with a driver board, a
complementary air compressor and a jackhammer.

knight of zero

26 Aug 2021, 13:11

In one of chyros' reviews he claimed that the original beamspring designs
were very susceptible to dust, and this was one reason Harris moved
to buckling springs.

Has there ever been verification of this dust sensitivity, and if so, how could
we protect ourselves from this if we get one (or more) of these beauties?

y11971alex

26 Aug 2021, 18:56

Well isn’t this a game changer if ever I saw one. It would certain section the market for vintage beamsprings a bit.

inmbolmie

26 Aug 2021, 19:12

knight of zero wrote:
26 Aug 2021, 13:11
In one of chyros' reviews he claimed that the original beamspring designs
were very susceptible to dust, and this was one reason Harris moved
to buckling springs.

Has there ever been verification of this dust sensitivity, and if so, how could
we protect ourselves from this if we get one (or more) of these beauties?
As susceptible as they are to dust (that's why the keyboards came originally with an anti-dust sheet covering the switches) they are also very easily dismounted and cleaned, so that is compensated in some way.

It would be nice to have available an "original" dust cover for them though. I feel it is enough to leave them covered when unused to keep them clean and in working condition.

raoulduke-esq

26 Aug 2021, 19:13

I found that this fits perfectly over an 87-key 327x when not in use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DTGG1NW/

inmbolmie

26 Aug 2021, 19:27

raoulduke-esq wrote:

That's a possibility, but I would prefer a solution where you can actually see the keyboard like plexiglass or some other moulded transparent plastic. The problem with those is that you will need some exact measurements and it is unpractical to find any standard off-the-shelf solution that fits a particular keyboard.

Vizir

27 Aug 2021, 06:37

@Ellipse,

I submitted my interest for 1-2 84 key keyboards. But there wasn't any space to enter more detail. I would like to be in for 1 in this round, and 1 with custom colors and possible hhkb layout, if there's a round 2. :)

dcopellino

27 Aug 2021, 08:46

inmbolmie wrote:

That's a possibility, but I would prefer a solution where you can actually see the keyboard like plexiglass or some other moulded transparent plastic. The problem with those is that you will need some exact measurements and it is unpractical to find any standard off-the-shelf solution that fits a particular keyboard.
I found this on eBay which is the closest to your description. It's so much the 90s....
I wish ellipse could include it in the deal, given the price. (jokes aside)

inmbolmie

27 Aug 2021, 08:58

dcopellino wrote:
27 Aug 2021, 08:46
inmbolmie wrote:

I found this on eBay which is the closest to your description. It's so much the 90s....
I wish ellipse could include it in the deal, given the price. (jokes aside)
That would be a possibility, although I am confused with the bigger dimensions they declare, 475 x 150 x 48 mm. Nothing I have would fit into that!

PRIPARA_PLAYER

27 Aug 2021, 14:07

It's pretty cheap to get a large sheet of transparent plastic on Amazon, so usually I just cut the plastic to shape manually.

darkcruix

28 Aug 2021, 18:11

inmbolmie wrote:
raoulduke-esq wrote:

Solution I am using with my original Beam Spring
IMG_8240.jpeg
IMG_8240.jpeg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 23640 times

arcanius

28 Aug 2021, 21:36

Have been away for a while due to life being lifey; I really hope I saw this in time to get a reservation before they're all gone. This is what I've been waiting for for too long, without being ready to spend $2K on an original IBM Beam Spring.

Pete

29 Aug 2021, 00:06

arcanius wrote:
28 Aug 2021, 21:36
This is what I've been waiting for for too long, without being ready to spend $2K on an original IBM Beam Spring.
Me too. It’s an exciting project. Hopefully you made it onto the reservation list.

Wintermute1974
Tessier-Ashpool S.A.

29 Aug 2021, 08:12

A modern keyboard with my dream switch in it.
I have signed up for the ANSI now and would buy it again in ISO later on, if ISO becomes available.
Thanks for announcing the beamspring keyboard in the Model F August Update email message — People like me would have missed the news otherwise.

daphnis

30 Aug 2021, 16:26

Interesting! I would buy this if it came in a colour that wasn't black and the case was more classical and perhaps based on an original design. Blank key caps and happy-hacking layout would also be nice. Or even better: a beam-spring space cadet.

Wintermute1974
Tessier-Ashpool S.A.

30 Aug 2021, 17:43

daphnis wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 16:26
Interesting! I would buy this if [...]
Yes, yes, yes, but are you not excited at all by the very fact that modern beamsprings exist?
This is big news. Many of us have either tried a beamspring keyboard at a meetup or bought a single switch off eBay. Now there's a chance to get something even better than retrofitted new old stock.

FXT
XT

30 Aug 2021, 19:49

I’ve owned 3 different beamspring boards (2x Displaywriters and a 3278) but never held onto them because they were too valuable and I felt nervous even using them. I can’t wait to get my grubby hands on a new beamspring keyboard.

tiltowait

31 Aug 2021, 02:23

To a certain extent, it does seem as if some people are poo-pooing it for somewhat silly reasons. Not buying modern beamsprings because of the case color or the fact it uses a standard, mass appeal layout is a bit of a head-scratcher.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

31 Aug 2021, 03:00

Two concerns.

1. The included key caps look like double shot SA profile. SA is a far cry from the sphericals that originally shipped on these boards. MT3 is a better approximation.

2. What metal alloy are you choosing for the beam springs? IBM chose something special back in the day. I haven't seen any discussion on this (maybe I missed it).

Return to “Group buys”