Beam Spring 104+SSK Reproduction Project! First Batch In Stock, Shipping early next year after New Model F Project

darkcruix

08 Aug 2021, 11:53

ZyBeR wrote:
08 Aug 2021, 11:26
This is very exiting and I would very much like to get my hands on a board -- but as already been pointed out, the case (in my eyes) looks terrible and should be given some more attention. How about looking for an already proven designer to help you, like ai03 for instance? I'm sure it wont be hard to get someone onboard a projekt as unique as this!

If you want to keep cost down I wouldn't mind a layered acrylic case or even just a stl-file so we can print it ourselves.

If somehow possible, please try to use pcb mounted stabs.

FANTASTIC WORK I'm really looking forward to a typing test video 8-)
If there is a lot of dislike around the case design, why not getting a bottom plate sold with the mounted switch modules and the option to get an additional top case screwed on? Similar to the 3278 keyboards? In theory, only screw brackets need to be added to the raw case (or clip-in holes). Multiple designs could be built around it. Different designs could be sold in the store depending on the liking. Sounds easier said than done, I know, and the variations are limited to the height, but as the keys are floating already, there are possibilities ...

pveentjer

08 Aug 2021, 12:05

Similar to the 3278 keyboards?
That would be a beauty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQSAZFTyOxA

darkcruix

08 Aug 2021, 12:44

pveentjer wrote:
08 Aug 2021, 12:05
Similar to the 3278 keyboards?
That would be a beauty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQSAZFTyOxA
ha ha - indeed. My good old 3278.

Chyros

08 Aug 2021, 17:07

<gulp>

Ellipse

08 Aug 2021, 22:01

Regarding the fly plates - I did not mean to exaggerate defects of IBM beam spring keyboards, just to discuss the potential and realized pitfalls of the technology itself in terms of expected maintenance and repairability time. I will leave the question of beam spring maintenance frequency to those who use their beamsprings as daily drivers. Beyond when I was setting up my IBM beam spring keyboards after receiving and cleaning them and re-seating a key or two (many years ago I put the "I" key flipped for example - did not notice the difference in the key slope initially!) I had to reattach a number of the fly plates, but I have not had to do anything memorable after occasional testing in the ensuing years since then. They are more likely to fly out when the board is open and I am making adjustments or testing the modules not installed in a keyboard.

Case height is 24mm (not including the parts that stick out on top). Just under 47cm width and about 16.5 cm length.

Regarding the interest form, everyone should please be realistic in what they can spend later this year when considering signing up :) - one person put that they would order 500 keyboards - not likely!

webwit and others - no HHKB or ISO this time, as the keyboards are already produced. There may be another round with these options (and with additional case color options) but not likely for a while, if at all. Definitely nothing before I get the Model F project mailed out. For everyone: if you really want the beam spring and are flexible with using the US ANSI layout I recommend signing up to order it, if that is preferable to not getting a spot in the list. You can also sign up and note "only ISO" if you want to be in on the possible next round.

The doubleshot keys are expected to only be available in US and a few extra UK ISO keys (the latter for futureproofing and to allow more sets to be sold) so they will include more than 103 keys most likely - everyone would get all the keys. Nothing's finalized yet. The MOQ requires all sets to have the exact same keys.

Regarding the case design alternatives I would be happy to receive open source submissions for more stylish additional case offerings as future upgrades (I'll send to the factory for some quotations), however none would be factory installed options. The current design reflects the goal of making a Brand New beam spring keyboard with the smallest feasible footprint. The goal is to get these shipped as they are and then to allow additional stuff to be offered in the future, including case designs ranging from Model M style and modern mechanical keyboard style all the way to original beam spring keyboard case styles. Personally I'd like to see the 3278 A01 style cases with the momentary push buttons (I looked into this, but the ones of similar size are too deep to fit in the current case's interior dimensions). Also the 3101, 3277, 3278 and others are good to consider if anyone's up for making the cad files.

Another benefit to the extra big case would be the additional sound deadening offered. As there's nearly no deadening material or pounds of extra case, and the tolerances are far tighter, the new beam springs do reverberate noticeably more, like the Model F, as opposed to the dead sound of my original beam springs with nearly zero reverberation sound.

zrrion if you'd like to facilitate the ability to easily create plates and PCBs for various layouts as you mentioned, that would be great but I don't know if the demand for beam springs in various additional layouts would warrant the effort.

nickg SSK style num pads should be possible with the QMK and Via firmware but others would have to chime in on this. And again as noted above, the feel and sound are close to but still different from the original beam spring keyboards in the ways I mentioned. If you are looking for the 100% same experience you will not find it without turning to an original keyboard.

Regarding floating case designs, the goal was to minimize the additional parts of the original beam spring keyboards so the cost would not be even higher, which is why there is no additional interior top or bottom plate. I could imagine this keyboard itself becoming a drop in "inner assembly" for a larger case, maybe like an original IBM style case if someone wanted to mod their keyboard after it is delivered.

ZyBeR as noted in my initial post stabilizers are included but not needed or recommended outside of the space bar. Given the height of the beam modules it is impossible to mount the stabs on the PCB, which is why they are plate mounted.

shine

08 Aug 2021, 22:44

What? :shock:

zrrion

08 Aug 2021, 22:55

Ellipse wrote:
08 Aug 2021, 22:01
zrrion if you'd like to facilitate the ability to easily create plates and PCBs for various layouts as you mentioned, that would be great but I don't know if the demand for beam springs in various additional layouts would warrant the effort.
I would absolutely be open to collaboration in this respect if you are genuinely interested. toss me a PM and we can discuss it.

ReiNikochan

08 Aug 2021, 23:09

A freestyle 2, m15, or utron split layout would be great!

depletedvespene

09 Aug 2021, 01:00

Holy shiRt.

mmm

09 Aug 2021, 01:15

+1 for ISO and alternative case options! Very interested!

I assume the original switch had its height for a reason. What are the downsides to making it shorter, if any?

How significantly will keycaps affect the sound? Does the smaller case make the effect more pronounced?

Unqualified theoretical responses more than encouraged :D

jason

09 Aug 2021, 07:57

letss go beamsprings are back

Pete

09 Aug 2021, 10:01

Will it include the awesome spherical caps? I really want those and haven’t found any for my Model F.

Pete

09 Aug 2021, 10:09

Ellipse wrote:
07 Aug 2021, 07:19

This project is based on reservations. You need to sign up on the interest form to reserve your Beam Spring Keyboard so please sign up if interested. I expect to offer these keyboards first come, first served based on the timestamp of when you signed up on the interest form!

Will serial numbers start at 1, or will they continue on from the Model F serial numbers?

Gnho

09 Aug 2021, 14:34

Automatic buy if there's a HHKB version of this board. Please. Please. Please.

chayu

09 Aug 2021, 15:01

Another project! The MX stem compatibility is huge! I do wish the case was high profile vs low profile though and more compact versions available rather than standard TKL and 104 key layouts- I've gotten used to split backspace with a 1.5u backspace. Chances are I will still pick one up for the hell of it.

lachmoewe

09 Aug 2021, 15:26

Are you also planning on selling the key modules separately? Then everyone with a bit of diy experience (or enough money to pay someone) could fulfill their custom layout needs and build the keyboard from scratch.

PRIPARA_PLAYER

09 Aug 2021, 15:30

I put myself down as interested in an SSK, but if there's a chance of JIS I'd much rather wait for that, especially if it'd be possible to get the JIS tiny space bar which wasn't possible on the F77.

nickg

09 Aug 2021, 15:40

Oh awesome fully programmable ssk beamspring. Ohh I cant wait... glad i signed up early.

depletedvespene

09 Aug 2021, 15:51

nickg wrote:
09 Aug 2021, 15:40
Oh awesome fully programmable ssk beamspring. Ohh I cant wait... glad i signed up early.
I have to wonder how many of us have already.

depletedvespene

09 Aug 2021, 15:53

chayu wrote:
09 Aug 2021, 15:01
Another project! The MX stem compatibility is huge! I do wish the case was high profile vs low profile though and more compact versions available rather than standard TKL and 104 key layouts- I've gotten used to split backspace with a 1.5u backspace. Chances are I will still pick one up for the hell of it.
My MT3 keycap set has already been reserved for this.

tiltowait

09 Aug 2021, 18:45

As someone using a beamspring (Displaywriter) as a daily driver, this is pretty much an auto-buy for me, and I'm stoked. I'm really curious how the sound profile/feel will differ from my vintage keyboard. Prediction: I will prefer certain aspects of my current board (primarily sound; my solenoid is loud, and I love it), but the ANSI layout and far lower profile will be more than enough to get me to switch.

My dream would be a split beamspring keyboard, but I try to keep my expectations realistic. A beamspring repro is already beyond the bounds of what I ever expected to happen!

RE: Flyplates. It's possible for them to come undone through normal operation, though I haven't personally experienced it. I only know they can, because I had to reassemble two switches when I first got my board. They are very easy to come apart when not attached to the keyboard, however (as I learned to my chagrin when I accidentally dropped the board about 3 inches).

Switch reassembly is obnoxious. IBM used to have a tool to make it easier. Are there any plans to make something like that? I'd buy one for the right price (probably $15-$20).

Random: Thank you so much for using Torx screws. (Seriously.)

Scarpia

09 Aug 2021, 19:37

Case wise, I also thought the modern case looks a little cheap / dull considering how exotic these are inside. But I would still get one, because beamspring!!!

However, if the plate-switch assembly could be transplanted into future case options, I would jump on that for sure.

I would love to put these switches inside something like the original IBM cases @Ellipse mentioned (3278 etc) or possibly something like the Symbolics model 364000.

As for the Dolch-style keycaps, that’s a ‘meh’ from me. Don’t get me wrong, Dolch is a great colorway with both vintage and modern appeal, but for a beamer I would go with a classic BoW/WoB combo in SA or MT3 profile - anything else just feels wrong. Luckily the MX compatibility makes this totally up to the owner, yay!

Heisenberg122

09 Aug 2021, 20:57

Thinking of reproduction of beamspring switches; it's fantastic. But the case doesn't look authentic. If I choose the beamspring, that's because of that I prefer typing feel, quality and of course authenticity. Authenticity is last but not least. Authenticity is for looking and also for feeling the history as well. It's the most important complementary component for this kind of project in my opinion. As for the Model F project those three-parameter values have been reached; typing feel, quality and authenticity (for both look and feel). This time it's a lack of authenticity. I hope Ellipse will work on another case design that is befitting to the glory of the beamspring.

Johnbo

09 Aug 2021, 21:18

Oh heck yes! I've been hoping that this project was secretly in the works. I'm so glad you're offering full sized keyboards too, the more keys the better for my personal workflow.

TNT

09 Aug 2021, 22:21

Awesome! Will wait for different Layouts tho.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

10 Aug 2021, 06:41

I'd have to agree on the case criticism, looks like someone just modeled a rectangle in blender and called it quits.

Definitely a neat and promising project, I just wish you would finish the project that's had delayed orders going on years before starting a new project. Especially when "cost overruns" were a constant justification for said delays.

chayu

10 Aug 2021, 12:57

depletedvespene wrote:
09 Aug 2021, 15:53
My MT3 keycap set has already been reserved for this.
My thinking exactly! This project and the profile are meant to be.

Icemanrec

10 Aug 2021, 16:30

i would love a way to know where we are in the wait list :) this is a certain buy for me and i also have a 5251. if a HHKB option ever comes along, i will be signing up for that too

wobbled

10 Aug 2021, 18:09

Icemanrec wrote:
10 Aug 2021, 16:30
i would love a way to know where we are in the wait list :) this is a certain buy for me and i also have a 5251. if a HHKB option ever comes along, i will be signing up for that too
Same here, hoping I got on the list early.

tiltowait

10 Aug 2021, 18:12

For those complaining about the case being "generic": what would you like to see instead? Genuinely curious.

Return to “Group buys”