Beam Spring 104+SSK Reproduction Project! First Batch In Stock, Shipping early next year after New Model F Project

JCMax

18 Mar 2022, 06:06

Ditto on the Tsangan bottom row and split right shift.

Could it be possible to mix different layouts together into custom ones for build?

The 5251 has a layout similar to what I was thinking of with a numpad to the right that could be programmed like the Quickfire's numpad and it also has the 5 x 2 block to the left. I am updating my recommendation to that. The key caps and default layout could be updated to be like the Quickfire, sort of like with the F77 repros.

A 122 layout like a battleship would be pretty bad ass too if you ask me. ;)

ifohancroft

18 Mar 2022, 14:23

Here's the case I designed during the stream:

In my opinion, as it is, it doesn't look good, but this is just an example after all. It can be tweaked and changed to be more appealing. I've designed just the left side, but I believe the model can easily be flipped to also create the right side.

I'll leave it up to Ellipse to decide if he'll be sharing the files themselves as I gave him full rights over them when I sent them to him.

I promised to upload the full stream to YouTube, but it has received a copyright claim because of the music, so I've stripped it and I'll be doing a voice over explaining my process of designing the case. It won't be in a day or two though, as the video is almost 7 hours.

In the next couple of weeks, I'll be designing a couple more Beamspring cases in different layouts and for different production methods.

Johnbo

18 Mar 2022, 16:47

Ellipse wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 04:29
I'd wonder how popular are the 122 style layouts, the 10 keys (5x2 block) to the left of the keyboard
Count me in for a battleship layout tooling GB if one happens! The more keys the better for me personally.

My Deko Fast Action is still my favorite layout of all my keyboards:
Spoiler:
MVIMG_20200918_164258.jpg
MVIMG_20200918_164258.jpg (193.38 KiB) Viewed 5433 times

zippolupan

18 Mar 2022, 17:03

Massive +1 there for 122-key layouts. Will place an order immediately if/when it materialises :)

ifohancroft

18 Mar 2022, 17:10

I'd like a 122-key layout as well, but honestly, I'd buy whatever layout is available as long as I have the money for it when boards start shipping, as I'd like to buy at least one board, then I'll just buy switches to make my own board(s)

cap

18 Mar 2022, 17:17

I'm very willing to compromise on my wish list of deviations from ANSI, to help form a consensus of features that a majority of alternative users want.

My strongest preference is for a UNIX/HHKB layout on the main keyboard block, the most important (to me) feature of which is split backspace: I want the backspace function directly above Enter and the \` keys in the ANSI backspace position.

I like the Tsangan bottom row mostly for visual symmetry -- it's just prettier -- but it wouldn't hurt my typing experience too much to have a standard ANSI bottom row.

Split right shift is almost necessary on a 60%. I ordered my F77 with it for consistency with my smaller boards, and because, why not, I never hit the far right of the right shift key anyway. Contrariwise, there is a reason not to do split right shift on a keyboard that has enough keys: it worsens the visual symmetry. So I could easily live without split right shift on a TKL or larger board.

The ISO left shift with ANSI enter is just something for fun to let me dabble with Colemak Mod-DH ISO, but without going ISO on the right side of the board. I built myself a custom MX board with all of my suggested features. My initial experience suggests that I will not adopt the Colemak layout for serious daily work, so my beamspring does not have to be the keyboard where I have the weird ISO-ANSI hybrid.

Baby

20 Mar 2022, 01:37

Some 40%s
Attachments
Screenshot_20220319-194220_Fusion 360.jpg
Screenshot_20220319-194220_Fusion 360.jpg (116.33 KiB) Viewed 5291 times
sb.png
sb.png (357.73 KiB) Viewed 5295 times
beam_side_done_2022-Mar-18_04-04-06PM-000_CustomizedView53879392490.png
beam_side_done_2022-Mar-18_04-04-06PM-000_CustomizedView53879392490.png (282.74 KiB) Viewed 5295 times

Guppy

21 Mar 2022, 04:37

Johnbo wrote:
Ellipse wrote:
I'd wonder how popular are the 122 style layouts, the 10 keys (5x2 block) to the left of the keyboard
Count me in for a battleship layout tooling GB if one happens! The more keys the better for me personally.

Spoiler:
That might be a nightmare logistics wise but I'd be all in on a battleship model.

John Doe

22 Mar 2022, 07:30

Johnbo wrote:
Ellipse wrote:

Spoiler:

Have you ever converted it? How?

Johnbo

22 Mar 2022, 16:10

John Doe wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 07:30
Have you ever converted it? How?
It just speaks PS/2 so it wasn't too hard! You can read about it here:
viewtopic.php?t=24487

ifohancroft

22 Mar 2022, 17:16

Here are the source files for the designed case.
Shared with Ellipse's permission.

It has been archived. The extracted file is a FreeCAD project file.
Attachments
Beamspring-Case.zip
(939.29 KiB) Downloaded 115 times

jsheradin

22 Mar 2022, 17:43

Baby wrote:
Some 40%s
I would absolutely get one of those purely for cuteness factor.

vyquad

23 Mar 2022, 22:21

Possible we could get a typing test?

Baby

26 Mar 2022, 05:04

jsheradin wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 17:43
Baby wrote:
Some 40%s
I would absolutely get one of those purely for cuteness factor.
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=27066&p=501659#p501659

Version 1

vyquad

27 Mar 2022, 03:01

What about a slanted metal case design like the keymacs? (with smoothed edges) Image

CoolPenguin1

27 Mar 2022, 19:53

While I think the new case design is a overall improvement it isn't as good looking as I hoped it would be considering the price of the board.
The Beamspring repros only being available in TKL and fullsize layouts seems kinda like a response to people who complained about the F62 and F77 not having enough keys and I think most people complaining about that pretty much just wanted a Model M with Model F build quality and capacitive buckling springs, so I'm thinking if it's being designed around those complaints why not embrace that and make a keyboard that looks like a Model M but with Beamspring switches.
I also think not having a angle to the case is a mistake, most people seem to agree that the vast majority of modern MX keycaps are best used around a 5-8° typing angle and while I know you can get a angle with screw on feet having that much empty space under the board can hurt acoustics and for a keyboard this expensive I don't think there should be any compromises with stuff like that.
As for layouts I would definitely prefer a tsangan bottom row.
Last edited by CoolPenguin1 on 22 Aug 2023, 18:37, edited 1 time in total.

Ellipse

28 Mar 2022, 07:44

5 to 8 degrees tilt seems reasonable to implement? I don't think acoustics would be affected by a few extra mm higher in the back side below the board though for beam springs. My beam spring originals have pretty thick feet and the back is much thicker than the front, so the cases appear to be tilted on the inside as well as the whole case itself being tilted.

What does everyone think about an IBM Model M style case with beam spring switches? Is that preferable to the classic beam spring case design?

t8c

28 Mar 2022, 07:57

Ellipse wrote:
5 to 8 degrees tilt seems reasonable to implement? I don't think acoustics would be affected by a few extra mm higher in the back side below the board though for beam springs. My beam spring originals have pretty thick feet and the back is much thicker than the front, so the cases appear to be tilted on the inside as well as the whole case itself being tilted.

What does everyone think about an IBM Model M style case with beam spring switches? Is that preferable to the classic beam spring case design?
Classic beam spring all the way.

miloica

28 Mar 2022, 08:37

Ellipse wrote:
Yes, it is.

thefarside

28 Mar 2022, 11:12

miloica wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 08:37
Ellipse wrote:
Yes, it is.
Absolutely! The Model M layout world be perfect.

ifohancroft

28 Mar 2022, 12:45

Ellipse wrote:
Honestly, I'd be happy with either, but I think I do prefer classic Beamspring case design.

If the design isn't trying to match an existing Beamspring or Buckling Spring case, I personally would prefer no slant though as I prefer my keyboards flat/parallel to the desk.

RaoulRod

28 Mar 2022, 13:11

Ellipse wrote:
Prefer either a modern style case or model M to a big hulking “classic” beamspring style case

ifohancroft

28 Mar 2022, 14:40

RaoulRod wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 13:11
Ellipse wrote:
Prefer either a modern style case or model M to a big hulking “classic” beamspring style case
How about something like a 7 column by 5 row ortho? I.e.
Attachments
71zxvq1IjSL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
71zxvq1IjSL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (89.36 KiB) Viewed 4446 times

JCMax

28 Mar 2022, 19:14

Ellipse wrote:

Tough question. I think I prefer the beam-spring redesign case you did earlier but with the 5 to 8 degree slant.

An IBM Model M with beam-springs would be cool, but l would find it preferable if it had some of the features from the Beam-spring case built into it to make it unique. Like a similar pencil tray or lip.

CoolPenguin1

28 Mar 2022, 21:58

To expand a little on what I said earlier. Personally I don't like the current design because I feel like Beamspring style cases don't really look all that good without them being massive like original Beamspring boards. And for what I imagine are cost or production issues we're not going to get anything similar to something around their size.
I'm also not suggesting a one to one copy of a Model M case but more like something that looks similar and maybe with some cues from other IBM or Beamspring boards kinda like what JCMax suggested.
Last edited by CoolPenguin1 on 22 Aug 2023, 18:38, edited 2 times in total.

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

28 Mar 2022, 21:59

Ellipse wrote:

I like the idea of a Model M style case, FWIW.

CoolPenguin1

28 Mar 2022, 22:35

I'd also like to share this. On the DT discord a user named JOHN quickly made these when the design was first revealed to see how certain changes would look.
unknown.png
unknown.png (872.83 KiB) Viewed 4265 times
Removed the dip at the back, made the front more rounded and added a slight angle.
unknown1.png
unknown1.png (290.96 KiB) Viewed 4265 times
Something similar to the keymacs kinda like vyquad suggested. He reduced the height on this one which I don't think would work considering the height of the switches but it gives you an idea of how something like this may look.
Last edited by CoolPenguin1 on 22 Aug 2023, 18:54, edited 2 times in total.

vyquad

29 Mar 2022, 02:57

What about a M0110A type case? it seems to work well with modern boards Image

JCMax

29 Mar 2022, 05:03

CoolPenguin1 wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 22:35
I'd also like to share this, on the DT discord a user named JOHN quickly made these when the design was first revealed to see how certain changes would look.
unknown.png
Removed the dip at the back, made the front more rounded and added a slight angle.
unknown1.png
Something similar to the keymacs kinda like vyquad suggested, he reduced the height on this one which I don't think would work considering the height of the switches but it gives you an idea of how something like this may look.
The top one was sort of what I was thinking of with a Model M taking cues from a beam-spring case. But more with The M's pencil tray and the trademark M "curve" in the main body.

For the front I think I preferred the less rounded one. It gave it a more "tank" like appearance, but I like the slight angle. Something that is basically the shape and layout of an M with the same dimensions. But then modified with subtle tweaks added to give it the unmistakable robustness and distinctive look of a beam-spring case here and there like in the front.

I could get onboard with Model M inspired Beam-spring! :)

PRIPARA_PLAYER

29 Mar 2022, 10:58

I think something like the pingmaster case shape might match what people here are asking for, given that it's got the slant and the pencil holder. But also I just really like the pingmaster.

I'd also like to add my support for ortholinear, since it seems there aren't that many people interested in JIS or a split shift/enter/backspace keyboard, ortholinear seems like my best bet for getting a lot of keys.

Return to “Group buys”