Beam Spring 104+SSK Reproduction Project! First Batch In Stock, Shipping early next year after New Model F Project

wobbled

10 Aug 2021, 18:17

tiltowait wrote:
10 Aug 2021, 18:12
For those complaining about the case being "generic": what would you like to see instead? Genuinely curious.
I have to agree with this.
Beamsprings have been duplicated and remade for under $1000 and the case is a problem?? :?:
I'm sure people can make their own cases if it's that big of a deal, I'm just happy to see these keyboards be available for less than the value of a used car.
Come to think of it, the cases are what made my 3278 unusable for me back when I had it. It was far too bulky.

cloudhax

10 Aug 2021, 18:22

fantastic, I'd love one.
Last edited by cloudhax on 10 Aug 2021, 19:46, edited 2 times in total.

goofy9x

10 Aug 2021, 18:24

Icemanrec wrote:
10 Aug 2021, 16:30
i would love a way to know where we are in the wait list :) this is a certain buy for me and i also have a 5251. if a HHKB option ever comes along, i will be signing up for that too
+1

depletedvespene

10 Aug 2021, 18:28

tiltowait wrote:
For those complaining about the case being "generic": what would you like to see instead? Genuinely curious.
Frankly, I'll be fine with the case. It's just that the typical beamspring cases have A LOT of presence, and a compact one that follows the lines of the "ultracompact" F77 repro is a bit "underwhelming" compared to those (then again, EVERY case, Model M keyboards included, will feel so).

shampoo

10 Aug 2021, 18:56

Hi

I am going to buy one. Only because the F77 was just such an awesome experience.
But, I know nothing about these keyboards. How does the beam spring compare to a buckling spring and say a cherry mx type switch ?

How is it in terms of noise levels ? Given that my wife and I both work from home, she's often about ready to toss the keyboard onto the street due to the noise.

I personally love it! ;-)

wobbled

10 Aug 2021, 19:04

shampoo wrote:
10 Aug 2021, 18:56
Hi

I am going to buy one. Only because the F77 was just such an awesome experience.
But, I know nothing about these keyboards. How does the beam spring compare to a buckling spring and say a cherry mx type switch ?

How is it in terms of noise levels ? Given that my wife and I both work from home, she's often about ready to toss the keyboard onto the street due to the noise.

I personally love it! ;-)
You might want to check out some typing 'ASMR' videos e.g.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjyBGUe8VMM

They're a tad louder than a Model F, but have less of a high pitched pinging and so don't get annoying as quickly.
However, if you decide to activate the solenoid while typing, then god help you. It's probably the loudest board out there.

If your wife is concerned about noise then maybe something like topre keyboards are more appropriate?

Jan Pospisil

10 Aug 2021, 19:36

tiltowait wrote:
Anything that looks more like a keyboard than a brick. Some kind of angled profile, interesting bezels, non-exposed switches.
I'm probably not gonna get one, as the F77 was a lot of money for me.
But yeah, I think the case brings the whole thing down a ton. This is probably a lot of people's dream keyboard (on paper) and it looks like that...

raoulduke-esq

10 Aug 2021, 19:51

tiltowait wrote:
One of the major strengths of the 4704 project is that the cases closely resembled the keyboards upon which they were based. Sure, no beeper or volume knob on the bottom, but from the top they're very similar. Something that closely resembled the appearance of a 3278 with the glorious swoop but a shorter overall height would be delightful.

However, this is a situation where it's impossible to make everyone happy. Some find the old form factors "unusable" while others love them. Some love white whales, others love 3278, others want to see an M/F122 layout but with beam spring switches, while others want to see a 122 layout built exactly like a 4978 so they can stick it to Jacob. All of these add cost, complexity, complaints, opportunities for error, and no matter what's done someone will cry about it. Add in the fact that Ellipse wanted to be first to market ahead of the other switch project in the works, and it makes sense that he would focus on the switches and phone it in on the case.

There are some resourceful folks in this community and I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of cases emerge, whether using the Ellipse Brick as a drop-in insert or shucking it for the switches and utilizing a custom PCB/case. I'll also just enjoy having folks be like "Nice Drop CTRL" and being like "click click click click does that sound like a CTRL to you??"

Johnbo

10 Aug 2021, 20:06

raoulduke-esq wrote:
10 Aug 2021, 19:51
others want to see an M/F122 layout but with beam spring switches
Please don't tease me like that! If ever there was an end game board for me, I imagine that'd be it.

handyman

10 Aug 2021, 20:28

I put my name on the list soon as I saw this. Beamsprings in a simple understated case? Sounds perfect to me.

I’m especially excited about getting a standard, modern, full size layout.

cloudhax

10 Aug 2021, 20:42

There is far less case, inner foam, and other materials to deaden and dampen the sound of the new Beam Spring Keyboards compared to the originals.
👀 hope to see sound example video

Pete

11 Aug 2021, 01:29

I’m really hoping for high-profile keycaps, something like this: https://matt3o.com/about-mt3-profile-and-devtty-set/

zrrion

11 Aug 2021, 03:11

Honestly, something closer to the modern case that the F77 uses would be fine.

cloudhax

11 Aug 2021, 05:58

Pete wrote:
I’m really hoping for high-profile keycaps, something like this: https://matt3o.com/about-mt3-profile-and-devtty-set/
yes I almost pulled the trigger on this matt3o devtty set plus the numpad kit in preparation for using it with this beam spring reproduction but I wasn't totally it was compatible, like the space bar sizing etc. can anyone confirm?

goofy9x

11 Aug 2021, 17:35

Will the doubleshot keycaps be made of ABS or PBT?

tiltowait

11 Aug 2021, 18:54

Pete wrote:
High-profile caps definitely fit what you would expect from a beamspring.

Ellipse

11 Aug 2021, 21:08

A general question - for 122 layouts do people prefer the grouped together function keys at top or would it be better to space apart the F1-F4 (and 4 keys above it), F5-F8, etc. as it is done on a Model M? Would an interesting 122 layout be Model M 103 plus 4 keys on top of each function key and of course 10 keys on the left side unchanged?

mmm if you see photos of disassembled beam modules, the original switch had a metal insert which attached the white part of the beam module to the key. I'd guess that if they made it shorter, the white part would not have been long enough to hold the metal part by friction fit. But I have no idea. Maybe someone could ask the inventor Dick Harris on his thread?

Yes the sound is noticeably different without all the extra material serving as significant dampening. I'll be posting some "Beam Spring QC secrets" videos later showing how you might even be able to tune the sound of each switch based on how sharp you want the clickiness, to some degree. By default the factory tuned them not to be overly snappy so that they are more like the originals, but I tuned my own new beam spring to be extra snappy. In other words the factory toned them to have less high frequency/high pitch sound but I expect that the end user can change this. The more snappiness, the more reverberant sound.

Pete the pictured caps are not spherical but they are doubleshot. I hope to make them available for purchase but they won't be a required purchase to get the keyboard. Each product line has its own serial number. A question to everyone - do people care about the serial labels? Every minute counts when shipping out hundreds of boards! I like the serial labels though.

lachmoewe yes but I hope to offer additional layouts myself with input from what people are looking for. PRIPARA_PLAYER regarding JIS and other one-off or super low demand offerings I don't know how feasible it will be for the CNC milling adjustment charges - I'd have to talk with the factory.

Thanks for the feedback tiltowait. For beam module flyplate attachment I use a scrap space bar wire from the Model F project, cut off at one end. Maybe one of these should be included with each keyboard. If you have a photo of the IBM one please share it. I've just seen them note and illustrate in the manual that a paper clip is best.

Redmaus as noted in my original post much of the Model F project timeline was spent waiting on the various factories involved as opposed to constant action, so there was much down time / spare bandwidth for both me and the factories involved. In no way is the beam project delaying the Model F project which remains the priority.

Regarding the wait list, more than half the 300 spots are currently taken, just a few days after the project was announced (though some attrition is to be expected, allowing for a wait list and a possible future round). This was completely unexpected. I may have to change the "100 keyboards at each price" initial goal because more than 100 keyboards have been reserved so quickly. I'll have to do some math on figuring out a more blended pricing so as not to reward someone managing to notice the thread and sign up a few hours before someone else - that was not the intention.

shampoo beam springs are louder than Model F's so I would not recommend them if Model F is the limit to the permissible noise in a given room.

goofy9x I believe the doubleshots are PBT but not confirmed.

darkcruix

11 Aug 2021, 21:24

Ellipse wrote:
A general question - for 122 layouts do people prefer the grouped together function keys at top or would it be better to space apart the F1-F4 (and 4 keys above it), F5-F8, etc. as it is done on a Model M? Would an interesting 122 layout be Model M 103 plus 4 keys on top of each function key and of course 10 keys on the left side unchanged?
I do like them combined but that is probably only because I am used to it. I do like the 122 key boards in general, as they allow a lot of macros (and a potential of clear keys to create printed labels?)
Ellipse wrote:
Yes the sound is noticeably different without all the extra material serving as significant dampening. I'll be posting some "Beam Spring QC secrets" videos later ...
Looking forward to a sound demo.
Ellipse wrote:
Pete the pictured caps are not spherical but they are doubleshot. I hope to make them available for purchase but they won't be a required purchase to get the keyboard. Each product line has its own serial number. A question to everyone - do people care about the serial labels? Every minute counts when shipping out hundreds of boards! I like the serial labels though.
I do love the labels - if it helps, you could just put them in the box, without putting it on the keyboard?
Last edited by darkcruix on 11 Aug 2021, 21:27, edited 1 time in total.

depletedvespene

11 Aug 2021, 21:25

Ellipse wrote:
[...]
Grouped into three 4×2 blocks, thank you very much. The contiguous 12×2 block in the battleship layout is its only real defficiency (of course, the Enhanced layout, which introduced the separation of the F keys into three groups, came in later and this particular improvement wasn't retrofitted... but could/should have been). IMNAAHO. HTH. HAND.

And keep the EF block as-is! :mrgreen:

raoulduke-esq

11 Aug 2021, 21:44

Ellipse wrote:
A general question - for 122 layouts do people prefer the grouped together function keys at top or would it be better to space apart the F1-F4 (and 4 keys above it), F5-F8, etc. as it is done on a Model M?
It looks great to have a space between!!
IMG_0796 copy.jpg
IMG_0796 copy.jpg (1.74 MiB) Viewed 68592 times
Ellipse wrote:
A question to everyone - do people care about the serial labels? Every minute counts when shipping out hundreds of boards! I like the serial labels though.
Please keep the birthday/serial number. This is such a fun part of IBM keyboards.

Johnbo

11 Aug 2021, 21:55

Ellipse wrote:
Would an interesting 122 layout be Model M 103 plus 4 keys on top of each function key and of course 10 keys on the left side unchanged?
Yes, absolutely. While I love my M122 for all the extra keys, I have always wished it was more... standard ANSI + the extras. Basically this:
Spoiler:
keyboard-layout-122-modified.jpg
keyboard-layout-122-modified.jpg (107.44 KiB) Viewed 68584 times
Of course, personally I'd take it a step further and fill in the extra spaces :D :
Spoiler:
keyboard-layout-extreme.jpg
keyboard-layout-extreme.jpg (114.16 KiB) Viewed 68584 times
But that's coming as someone who daily drove a Deko Fast Action for a year :lol: I'd be more than happy with a blend of standard 103 layout + the extra keys the 122s come with.

depletedvespene

11 Aug 2021, 21:57

Johnbo wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 21:55
Of course, personally I'd take it a step further and fill in the extra spaces :D :
Dude, you forgot the sixth numpad row. ¿How are we going to turn the numpad into a hexapad without it? :mrgreen:

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

11 Aug 2021, 22:00

As much as I would love a 122-key beamspring, my main concern would be finding keycap sets which include the necessary keys :(

But since we're playing the game: I would love to see something like the F107 layout with 24 function keys laid out like the Japanese terminal keyboard posted above :)
Ellipse wrote:
Regarding the wait list, more than half the 300 spots are currently taken, just a few days after the project was announced (though some attrition is to be expected, allowing for a wait list and a possible future round). This was completely unexpected.
For me, the only surprise is that the list isn't filled yet ;)

tiltowait

11 Aug 2021, 22:45

I also like the serial numbers, but they aren't a make-or-break for me.

RE: Switch tool. I could swear I saw an illustration of one in a service manual. Unfortunately, most of the manuals in the wiki are no longer up, and the ones I was able to check didn't have anything. It's possible I'm conflating it with some other tool. It's been several years since I saw it.

mmm

11 Aug 2021, 23:57

Ellipse wrote:
Yes the sound is noticeably different without all the extra material serving as significant dampening. I'll be posting some "Beam Spring QC secrets" videos later showing how you might even be able to tune the sound of each switch based on how sharp you want the clickiness, to some degree. By default the factory tuned them not to be overly snappy so that they are more like the originals, but I tuned my own new beam spring to be extra snappy. In other words the factory toned them to have less high frequency/high pitch sound but I expect that the end user can change this. The more snappiness, the more reverberant sound.
Thank, looking forward to seeing those!

Personally I enjoy the serial, as it makes the product feel more unique, for some reason.

For people looking into the mt3 profile, they are also taking orders for a set inspired by the 3277 https://drop.com/buy/drop-matt3o-mt3-32 ... keycap-set

darkcruix

12 Aug 2021, 00:27

tiltowait wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 22:45
I also like the serial numbers, but they aren't a make-or-break for me.

RE: Switch tool. I could swear I saw an illustration of one in a service manual. Unfortunately, most of the manuals in the wiki are no longer up, and the ones I was able to check didn't have anything. It's possible I'm conflating it with some other tool. It's been several years since I saw it.
Also time for a Brand New Manual ;)

Johnbo

depletedvespene wrote:
Dude, you forgot the sixth numpad row. ¿How are we going to turn the numpad into a hexapad without it? :mrgreen:
My bad, how's this? ;)
Spoiler:
B156.jpg
B156.jpg (141.39 KiB) Viewed 68504 times

depletedvespene

12 Aug 2021, 00:29

Johnbo wrote:
depletedvespene wrote:
My bad, how's this? ;)
Spoiler:
B156.jpg
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEW. It's
Spoiler:
ANSI.

Pete

12 Aug 2021, 01:03

Johnbo wrote:

My bad, how's this? ;)
Spoiler: