Beam Spring 104+SSK Reproduction Project! First Batch In Stock, Shipping early next year after New Model F Project

Admiral

26 Mar 2023, 14:57

Rena wrote:
23 Mar 2023, 18:22
Just received my Round 1 BSSK!
Congratulations, and wow your keyboard looks nice! I do love the sleek and simple design of the Round 1 board, but I went with the Round 2 board for the 122-key style. Ugh it's so tempting to buy another one, but these aren't cheap.

dodddummy

27 Mar 2023, 14:41

Admiral wrote:
26 Mar 2023, 14:57
Rena wrote:
23 Mar 2023, 18:22
Just received my Round 1 BSSK!
Congratulations, and wow your keyboard looks nice! I do love the sleek and simple design of the Round 1 board, but I went with the Round 2 board for the 122-key style. Ugh it's so tempting to buy another one, but these aren't cheap.
I agree. That board looks great but I'm also getting the B122.

caesarcaliyugula

27 Mar 2023, 18:08

Are the extra extra 18 keys in the 122 just blank spaces to program macros?

Ellipse

27 Mar 2023, 20:54

Yes, each key can be programmed for whatever is allowed by QMK / Via / Vial. On my IBM F122 I set some of the additional keys for media functions, Explorer, and Calculator, for example.

Transparent relgendable keycaps update: I have ordered these keys from the factory. You can now order them on this add on page: https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product ... ng-extras/

I specified a set of 22 as the base set (10 keys on the left side + 12 keys in the top row). The regular key sets do not include extra keys to cover a B122 keyboard so I recommend ordering the relegendable keys. The keys are also available individually.

Please note the keycap bottom pieces are only available in black, not in the pictured tan color.
2023 03 Transparent relegendable keycaps (1).jpg
2023 03 Transparent relegendable keycaps (1).jpg (1 MiB) Viewed 119812 times
2023 03 Transparent relegendable keycaps (2).jpg
2023 03 Transparent relegendable keycaps (2).jpg (408.82 KiB) Viewed 119812 times

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

28 Mar 2023, 00:01

Quick question - will the regular solenoid on the store fit in the Round 2 122 case?

Ellipse

28 Mar 2023, 01:35

Yes confirmed daedalus. I designed the case with predrilled holes dedicated to the solenoid and solenoid driver so they do not need to be shared as with the F77/F62.

tajpapa

28 Mar 2023, 05:46

Hi I'm new to this forum, is the new beam spring keyboard round 2 has option to add the solenoid as I don't see the option? or shall I order it separately? and will it fit if I choose the SSK model. Thanks!

tajpapa

28 Mar 2023, 05:49

Also has the SSK version has the LED? I'm not sure whether I should add LED overlay or not, I want to if it's there in SSK version.

Ellipse

28 Mar 2023, 07:17

tajpapa - the BSSKs of both Round 1 and 2 do not have LEDs built into the cases, though the controllers support adding LEDs. The LED overlays can also be used with original IBM and Lexmark Model M keyboards. Yes you can order the solenoid driver and solenoid here, and they are compatible with the F keyboards and Beam keyboards, though the solenoids will not fit inside the compact case F and Beam boards (a substitute solenoid from sparkfun can be used in the compact beam cases): https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product ... ontroller/
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11015

jwsz

28 Mar 2023, 19:47

Received the round 1 keyboard. Out of the box all of the keys were working fine, and the keyboard was unscathed. The keyboard is incredible - it feels like typing on a machine gun, the beamspring mechanism on these new switches is really smooth and it has a meaty actuation click. It's really fun to use!

There's a lot to like about this keyboard. I'm very happy with MX keycap compatibility on this board, my MT3 caps feel right at home. I love the minimal aesthetic of the round 1, the case is impressively low-profile, and much lighter than my 3278 (still heavy for a keyboard though!). The ANSI TKL layout is obviously much more inviting than traditional beamspring layouts. Acoustically the keyboard sounds deep and bassy and it sounds even better with the rubber feet imo. Some of the keys I did have to readjust using the wiggle method. But overall I'm very impressed and happy with this keyboard - big thanks to Ellipse for bringing this ambitious project to life.

Ellipse

28 Mar 2023, 20:14

Thanks for your feedback jwsz - please do post a photo of your new setup if you don't mind! I have not seen the combination of MT3 caps with the beam spring boards.

clickclack

28 Mar 2023, 21:02

Woo hoo! Rescued at last from ParcelForce after paying His Majesty's Revenue and Customs their cut:
IMG_20230328_191942051.jpg
IMG_20230328_191942051.jpg (3.26 MiB) Viewed 119571 times
IMG_20230328_191213208.jpg
IMG_20230328_191213208.jpg (3.82 MiB) Viewed 119571 times
Time to do the mandatory training ...

Muirium
µ

28 Mar 2023, 22:15

Mind if I ask how much was high rolling Charlie’s cut? Those unicorn robes for his coronation won’t buy themselves. Plebs cough up!

clickclack

28 Mar 2023, 23:39

£118.42.

£106.42 of VAT (sales tax) @ 20%
£12 clearance fee (which the receipt helpfully points out is "zero rated for VAT")

Muirium
µ

29 Mar 2023, 00:22

Owch! One could buy a good Dodo feather for the missus’ cape for just a thousand of those. She’ll look good in that.

If they got you on 20% of what you actually paid, then fair’s fair in love and taxes I guess. It’s when they throw darts at the wall and come up with their own figures you’re in real trouble.

clickclack

29 Mar 2023, 00:26

Yeah. It was pretty much bang on what I was expecting. So I can't complain. Well. I can.

dodddummy

29 Mar 2023, 00:45

Ellipse wrote:
I specified a set of 22 as the base set (10 keys on the left side + 12 keys in the top row). The regular key sets do not include extra keys to cover a B122 keyboard so I recommend ordering the relegendable keys. The keys are also available individually.
I'm curious, why not sell them in sets of
10 - for those who just want the 10 f keys
12 - for those who want just one row of pf keys
22 - for those who want the 10 f keys and 12 pf keys
24 - for those who just want the pf keys
34 for those who want them all.

or sets of 10 and 12 and let people come themselves?

caesarcaliyugula

30 Mar 2023, 06:33

Really tempted to switch my order to a B122 if it wasn't physically too large for my keyboard tray. I might just spend several days with my present keyboard shifted over to the right to see if I notice the reduced mouse space.

dodddummy

30 Mar 2023, 14:54

caesarcaliyugula wrote:
Really tempted to switch my order to a B122 if it wasn't physically too large for my keyboard tray. I might just spend several days with my present keyboard shifted over to the right to see if I notice the reduced mouse space.
I, on the other hand, have a hard time understanding the seeming need to have keyboards that take no space. What in the heck are those folks doing with their mice?

As a mainframer I've come to depend on the 24 pf keys.

Muirium
µ

30 Mar 2023, 14:56

Everyone else must share the weight of your extra keys, no matter we don't touch them. :P

Big keyboards don't disgust those of us who like smaller layouts. But, for whatever reason, our very existence seems to get you guys wound up as an inexplicable Great Injustice! :lol:

caesarcaliyugula

30 Mar 2023, 16:58

dodddummy wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 14:54
caesarcaliyugula wrote:
I, on the other hand, have a hard time understanding the seeming need to have keyboards that take no space. What in the heck are those folks doing with their mice?

As a mainframer I've come to depend on the 24 pf keys.
Oh don't misunderstand, I would very much like the large keyboard--I simply have a surface of 27x11.5" to work with. So far having 6" of horizontal for the mouse doesn't seem to be an issue, not even when gaming, so I may make the jump upwards regardless, but it's still a factor I have to weigh.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

30 Mar 2023, 17:38

caesarcaliyugula wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 16:58
[…] I simply have a surface of 27x11.5" to work with. […]
Perhaps with that much vertical space, you should consider using a Rollermouse: wiki/RollerMouse

PeterQuines

31 Mar 2023, 23:07

Ellipse, do you have an estimate for when the few keyboards with modified F77 style numpads will be shipping relative to the rest of the Round 2 keyboards?

Ellipse

31 Mar 2023, 23:27

All Round 2 boards should be on the same container shipment, expected to go out later this year, so there should be no delay among any of the models.

tajpapa

31 Mar 2023, 23:48

When do you think the latest "safe" time to order round 2 to go out this year? Still managing finance and would prefer to order it last minute/days if possible

Muirium
µ

01 Apr 2023, 22:02

That’s not how rolling deadlines work.
Spoiler:

caesarcaliyugula

01 Apr 2023, 23:05

Ellipse wrote:
Yes, each key can be programmed for whatever is allowed by QMK / Via / Vial. On my IBM F122 I set some of the additional keys for media functions, Explorer, and Calculator, for example.

Transparent relgendable keycaps update: I have ordered these keys from the factory. You can now order them on this add on page: https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product ... ng-extras/

Please note the keycap bottom pieces are only available in black, not in the pictured tan color.

Is there something particular about the relegendable keycaps on your add-on page that are unique or superior to the possible alternatives? Do they match the profile of the keycaps that come with the board, etc? Browsing keycap sets I've noticed many come with "extra" keys with legends for volume, media controls, etc, as well as similar products from third-party retailers.

Ellipse

02 Apr 2023, 03:45

tajpapa the Round 2 boards should be fine to order later this year as I am making a lot of them ahead of the actual number of orders, but the pricing may increase.

caesarcaliyugula nope, you can probably use any MX keys including any relegendable keys or media keys, etc. The relegendable keys are not designed to match any particular key set.

Obin

02 Apr 2023, 05:17

Two questions:

1. If I ordered a round 2 BSSK now, what case would it come in? The 5251 inspired case or the 3278 inspired one with the weird swoop in the back? There doesn't seem to any selection and the product page has images/renders for both types cases.

2. The render of the plate for the BSSK shows a F77 style nav cluster. Is that a feature of all SSK plates (specifically ISO)? Are the keys covered by the PCB? So if I bought an ISO BSSK and additional modules and modified the case, I could make this work, right?

Ellipse

02 Apr 2023, 07:14

1. It will be the one shown in the rendering on the product page (not 3278). The sample case design (3278 style) in the photos on the product page did not have sufficient interest.

2. Yes they are CNC milled and the PCB has the pads for them, so you can add modules to them. Some folks even custom ordered the case with extra area cut out. It is not this way with the B122 though due to lack of pads.

Return to “Group buys”