Beam Spring 104+SSK Reproduction Project! First Batch In Stock, Shipping early next year after New Model F Project

hellothere

08 Feb 2022, 23:33

Admiral wrote:
04 Feb 2022, 22:41
I think I filled out the interest form back in August or September. I only put in for one of each keyboard I think. Is there a way to check or should I just fill the form out again?
More-or-less the same question for me. I also need to go through this thread and see what the anticipated date is.

PRIPARA_PLAYER

20 Feb 2022, 03:59

Ellipse wrote:
31 Jan 2022, 02:06
Yes I'd guess there will be a few additional layout options for the second round - what does everyone suggest? ANSI, ISO, any others?
I'd love it if it were possible to get JIS, but if not I'd happily take ISO or a split left shift/right shift/enter/backspace layout.

Ellipse

20 Feb 2022, 04:48

For the interest form, as long as you submitted the form you should be fine - no need to submit again as that will double count things. There is no email confirmation that is sent after completing the form.

For the additional layouts with split keys: different top inner assembly, PCB, and inner foam parts would be required due to the MX stems generally being in the center of the key, even for different key sizes, to my knowledge. The Model F design allowed for these keys to be split without extra parts, with one exception of the HHKB style split right shift.

I guess the question would be for those folks interested in non-ANSI/ISO standard layouts: would they be willing to split the additional tooling costs for the unique parts. It may be several hundred dollars extra per person on top of these boards which are already costly to produce.

PRIPARA_PLAYER

20 Feb 2022, 05:26

If it could be done for $100 extra or less I'd do it without question, anything extra I'd have to think about.

Admiral

20 Feb 2022, 16:55

I think I'm more interested in the ANSI layout since keycap options would be numerous and cheaper, but I am unopposed to ISO.

As for the multiple split options, as awesome as it would be, I don't want to hurt my wallet anymore than I have to for this awesome keyboard. I also don't want to add to the complexities of having to acquire special keycaps that would work with it, so I think I'll be fine with a standard layout.

I also submitted the form again as I couldn't remember if I did so beforehand. Sorry for the double count on my end.

Guppy

08 Mar 2022, 00:14

I'm unopposed to both ANSI and ISO. Also yeah, for $100 those keys would be top notch. I can't get custom keysets for $100 nowadays.
I guess my other question is: "Am I too late?", I'm really only finding out about this now having bought an F77 and thinking about a second one. I would gladly go in for beamsprings if any are still available.

Ellipse

08 Mar 2022, 02:30

Nope you are not too late - the Google form signup is still open to reserve your new Beam Spring Keyboard!

ifohancroft

08 Mar 2022, 15:42

I haven't had a chance to read all the pages yet, so I hope someone hasn't beaten me to it:

I'd love to do case and plate designs.
I've probably accumulated about at least a thousand hours on keyboard case/plate design in CAD as I procrastinate working on my keyboard's PCB, but I'd need some dimensions and back and fourth input and feedback. I'll send you a PM.

P.S. Thanks for doing this btw!
I'll sign up in the form as I definitely want one (despite the design of the case), however depending on when the keyboard is ready to ship, I may not have saved up enough money yet.

In the future will key modules be sold separetely? I am mostly interested in the modules as I want to make my own keyboards with it.

Are the keycaps in the picture/that can be purchased with the keyboard a SA profile? Is Signature Plastics going to be makimg the keycaps?

Ellipse

11 Mar 2022, 08:38

Yes that would be great! Attached is the first draft of a proposed second round case, inner assembly, and also the beam module whose injection mold was of course made already (also in standard CAD STP file format for everyone interested in offering open source case design options).

The sample keys in the first post were made by a factory I reached out to, not Signature Plastics.

This design is a compromise design with elements from various IBM beam spring cases: it combines the top curved area and near-exact overall length dimension and left and right side bezel thickness of the 3278, the gentler slope below the bottom row of keys of the 3101 and 66-key cases, a shorter profile 40mm case height given the reduced beam module height, and the interior folded sheet metal bottom plate style of the Displaywriter (to eliminate the need for additional die cast molds for the bottom case parts). Also the bottom case plate is recessed from view. Edges are rounded.

Not shown are the holes (for screws, bumpers, etc. - countersunk screws for the 2mm thick bottom case plate). Also not done in this file - proper LED cutouts, exact measurements of the cutouts and case height in the keys area, to sufficiently recess various profiles of MX keys into the case.

Elements not modeled in this file - most of the beam module itself (only the main piece is modeled), the 2mm thick foam planned to go on top of the beam module and below the top inner assembly, the capacitive PCB, foam or rubber PCB underlay, plastic mylar barrier between top inner assembly and capacitive PCB. I believe that the current dimensions also allow for an additional 2mm compressed foam below the inner assembly, for added sound dampening.

While the original cases were tilted significantly, to allow for fully customizable keyboard angling through bumpers the case will remain neutral. This also helps keep shipping and packaging costs as low as is feasible.

The file also includes the expected holes and beam module CAD files with the expectation that folks can order modules to make their own cases and layouts, though this would be much lower priority as the goal is to get enough cases and full keyboards ordered to keep the price feasible enough to proceed with ordering the molds. The modules are by far the most costly part of the keyboard so the overall costs for making your own keyboard will not be lower than the full keyboard cost in my estimate - I haven't finalized the cost of individual modules, though each first round beam spring keyboard does include a mini first aid kit of several spare modules as mentioned in the original post. The top inner assembly beam module holes are slightly larger than they were for the first round of the beam spring project, so as to allow for more wiggle room and more isolation between the plate and beam modules (with the goal of dampening the sound).

Draft case dimensions are LxWxH 495x248x40mm. There would also be a TKL version of the case without the right side block (and maybe with or without the LED indicators - not sure yet).

As noted before, the stabilizer insert cutouts are kind of vestigial at this time, with the exception of the space bar stabilizer which is required. I have found the non-space bar stabilizers prevent proper operation of the MX keys with the beam modules. They are all included with each first round beam spring keyboard though, in case anyone can use them.
1a.jpg
1a.jpg (327.68 KiB) Viewed 6509 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (533.53 KiB) Viewed 6503 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (181.84 KiB) Viewed 6509 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (391.3 KiB) Viewed 6509 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (228.35 KiB) Viewed 6509 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (304.84 KiB) Viewed 6509 times
6.jpg
6.jpg (108.92 KiB) Viewed 6509 times
7.jpg
7.jpg (243.17 KiB) Viewed 6509 times
Attachments
Beam assembly - 104 v2.zip
(282.08 KiB) Downloaded 128 times

inozenz

11 Mar 2022, 10:46

i think ill give this case a pass aswell.
its hard to satisfy everyone.
thank you.

t8c

11 Mar 2022, 14:16

Looks good. Would a F62/F77-like 1.5u-1u-1.5u-7u bottom row require a new plate and PCB? It would be a nice option.

Guppy

11 Mar 2022, 20:04

That case design looks excellent. I really see the inspirations in it. Love the slope design of the 3278 (Pencil tray?) along with the shorter front lip of the 3101.
What are your thoughts on adding feet options?

JCMax

11 Mar 2022, 23:08

The case design looks good. Will it be possible to do different color options like the Model F's? (I.E. Beige, Gray, Black, etc?)

TNT

12 Mar 2022, 00:49

Very unique design. I like it

thefarside

12 Mar 2022, 17:55

I like the design. What is the case material going to be?

PRIPARA_PLAYER

14 Mar 2022, 09:29

So with this new case design would it be possible to have a numpad etc on the right of the TKL, similar to the F77, and unlike the first round design that seems to only allow a nav cluster there?

Ellipse

14 Mar 2022, 18:01

Please keep the feedback coming! Now is the time to think about all these decisions.

The material will be powdercoated aluminum.

Confirmed different colors will be available. My guess is the same colors as the Model F project, but maybe without a few low volume colors like Silver Gray, dark blue, and light blue unless the additional tooling costs are paid for by those requesting it.

The photos show the standard 104 key and TKL options in the first post. Both options are available for this project. The 104 key option has the num pad block on the right of the keyboard.

Yes the 1.5u-1u-1.5u-7u bottom row would require another separate design and it seems like the 1.25U keys are more common for MX offerings. As noted before if enough people pay the tooling costs then I can offer the additional layout options. ISO will be definitely offered.

Regarding feet, the case bottom will have 6-32 threaded holes so various bumpers should be possible, including those offered by the new Model F project except the 8-32 medium threaded bumper, as well as your own bumpers.

darkcruix

15 Mar 2022, 11:46

You have me on board - case design is approved (big time).

AnnoyedWalrus

15 Mar 2022, 12:26

The new case looks absolutely wonderful. I didn't think I would need another keyboard but now I don't know any more.

Deskthority is a dangerous place to be, especially for beam-curious people like myself.

Muirium
µ

15 Mar 2022, 12:27

Beam-curious! Beware that consequential life choice…

Bass

15 Mar 2022, 12:57

I also strongly prefer this case design to the first one proposed. Definitely not a fan of floating switches.

mmm

16 Mar 2022, 19:08

The new case design is nice. Especially keeping it flat. I sometime tend to tilt my 3278 backswards a bit as the typing angle is a bit too much.

ifohancroft

16 Mar 2022, 21:22

I'll be designing some cases and stream while doing it. Ellipse asked me to post about the stream on here when I'm about to start, so here it is:

In a couple of minutes, I'll be streaming while designing some cases (not all today) for the Beamspring reproduction project. You can watch the stream here if you want: https://twitch.tv/ifohancroft

At a later point I'd look into downloading the VOD, and recording a voice over it explaining what I'm doing and shit, and putting it on YouTube in-case it's helpful to people interested in CAD and/or keyboards

JCMax

16 Mar 2022, 22:52

Ellipse wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 18:01

Yes the 1.5u-1u-1.5u-7u bottom row would require another separate design and it seems like the 1.25U keys are more common for MX offerings. As noted before if enough people pay the tooling costs then I can offer the additional layout options. ISO will be definitely offered.
If best case scenario for enough people paying the tooling is met, how much customization would be possible to the layout? I am assuming if we ordered the 104 key option it will have to be 104 keys with nav cluster and num pad, right? Would there be an option for layouts like Colemak or Dvorak like the Model F's?

thefarside

17 Mar 2022, 02:16

It’s long shot but a Focus layout with a big ass enter and a split right shift would be awesome 8-)

Ellipse

17 Mar 2022, 02:31

Layouts that do not require physically different key positions and PCB pad positions are all possible without additional parts - switching some keys for Colemak and Dvorak would not be an issue, but making the HHKB style split right shift would not be possible for an ANSI or ISO board for example.

Thefarside thanks for your feedback - as noted before if the tooling costs can be covered I am open to additional layout options. I'd imagine it would be $500 to $1000 in additional costs (e.g. $100 per person for 5-10 people interested in something), but that is a guess for the time being.

Everyone please do post if you're interested in covering part of the tooling costs for a specific layout here that is not standard ANSI or ISO so the amount of interest can be seen.

JCMax

17 Mar 2022, 03:40

In that case I am interested in covering part of the the tooling cost for a specific layout. I was thinking of something like the Cooler Master Quickfire TKL layout with the num pad and nav cluster combined.

Basically the same numpad layout but after toggling on num lock the numeric keys turns into what is the nav cluster on most ANSI keyboards.
/ -> Print Screen
* -> Scroll lock
7 -> Insert

Apologies if the screenshot is hard to see: Image
Last edited by JCMax on 17 Mar 2022, 04:10, edited 3 times in total.

cap

17 Mar 2022, 03:41

I would be interested in paying a bit more for

- Tsangan bottom row (like the F62 and F77)
- split backspace
- split right shift (maybe)
- ISO left shift with ANSI enter (am I alone on this one?)

in any combination

t8c

17 Mar 2022, 11:17

Interested in paying for tsangan bottom row!

Ellipse

18 Mar 2022, 04:29

JCMax and cap your recommendations sound like they might just be possible if there's enough interest. It combines features that a lot of the HHKB crowd might be interested in but I'd guess that there would have to be enough folks interested in your first three points, or maybe there would be different groups - all with separate tooling - for the Tsangan bottom row, split backspace/split right shift, and other specifics. I'd guess that you might have to compromise on the ISO short left shift with ANSI enter if there's not enough interest in that specific feature, according to the custom layout requests I've come across with the F62/F77 keyboards.

I'd wonder how popular are the 122 style layouts, the 10 keys (5x2 block) to the left of the keyboard, and other variations seen with some IBM keyboard offerings.

Return to “Group buys”