Cherry replica dyesub + blank white pbt 104 keysets

IvanIvanovich

05 Apr 2013, 17:34

Several legend options for language layouts and/or colors will be available again next time, determined by voting. Windowed Cherry profile PBT keycaps are not available from this manufacturer.

ideus

05 Apr 2013, 17:53

It will be awesome anyway. Please keep all of us posted, I am pretty sure many will be interested in an awesome set like this,

What profile these PBT caps have?

I have found SP cherry like profile (DCS) to be slightly shorter than actual cherries and the caps leave a 1 mm gap extra over the normal cherry clearance, thus they look a little bit more apart in between and as if they were floating.
IvanIvanovich wrote:Several legend options for language layouts and/or colors will be available again next time, determined by voting. Windowed Cherry profile PBT keycaps are not available from this manufacturer.

IvanIvanovich

05 Apr 2013, 18:10

These PBT sets are pretty much an identical copy of Cherry keycaps. They only differ a bit on the inside/underside.

ideus

06 Apr 2013, 00:36

Does this example prove that double shots are better choice, after all?
mbodrov wrote:BTW it appears that even genuine Cherry dyesub keys, despite their reputation of durability, can get quite worn with heavy use. Here's what a Cherry keyboard I recently encountered looked like: (GB/RU layout, 3000SAG)

maxmalkav
dye hard

06 Apr 2013, 01:39

ideus wrote:Does this example prove that double shots are better choice, after all?
mbodrov wrote:BTW it appears that even genuine Cherry dyesub keys, despite their reputation of durability, can get quite worn with heavy use. Here's what a Cherry keyboard I recently encountered looked like: (GB/RU layout, 3000SAG)
I totally rewrite my comment. Mbodrov pointed that it's a G80-3000SAG if I'm not wrong. Not sure, it doesn't even look like a mechanical one, no PCB nor plate looming behind the keycaps (rule of thumb learned in DT ;) ). Not sure which kind of "heavy" usage it's necessary to reach that degree of shining, but looks quite extreme :S

IvanIvanovich

06 Apr 2013, 02:22

Everything wears eventually. I saw some pictures once of a novelists (someone famousish but can't remember who) G80-5000 that had the doubleshots worn to holes through the keycaps.

mbodrov

06 Apr 2013, 02:58

It's a G83, non-mechanical as you correctly noticed.
Doubleshots are not without their own drawbacks, but if I were using purely a us-ansi layout, I'd prefer doubleshots over dyesubs, for their greater durability and better contrast. But in order to also have Cyrillic legends in red, you need triple-shots (not available from Cherry), dyesubs, or pad printing. And dyesubs certainly beat pad printing.

ideus

06 Apr 2013, 04:03

Wow! I would like to have the opportunity to see something like that, holes trough plastic, made by touching it.
IvanIvanovich wrote:Everything wears eventually. I saw some pictures once of a novelists (someone famousish but can't remember who) G80-5000 that had the doubleshots worn to holes through the keycaps.
Last edited by ideus on 06 Apr 2013, 04:13, edited 1 time in total.

ideus

06 Apr 2013, 04:06

I write in English and Spanish, but I do not need a different alphabet to do that, only some accented characters I easily invoke with the alt gr mod, then I am using a double shot cherry, which has a really good contrast, I hope it last long enough to get a replacement before it totally runs out.
mbodrov wrote:It's a G83, non-mechanical as you correctly noticed.
Doubleshots are not without their own drawbacks, but if I were using purely a us-ansi layout, I'd prefer doubleshots over dyesubs, for their greater durability and better contrast. But in order to also have Cyrillic legends in red, you need triple-shots (not available from Cherry), dyesubs, or pad printing. And dyesubs certainly beat pad printing.

IvanIvanovich

26 Apr 2013, 22:07

For anyone that may be interested, here is a preview of the options that will be available for PBT round2 groupbuy:
Hollow - US standard - ANSI

Red - US standard - ANSI | DE - ISO

Black and Charcoal - Colemak extended - ANSI

Irish - US Intl. - ANSI | GB Intl. - ISO

Ural - US/RU - ANSI

Miami (Odessa Mix) - US/UA - ANSI | ES/UA - ISO

Morocco - FR/AR - ISO

Scandinavia - Nordic - ISO

However, ISO set will not be complete as there is still no mold for ISO enter but it will have the appropriate 1.25 left shift and the additional 1x alpha keys on rows B and C. I hope it is better than nothing since it is the best we can do at present.

Acanthophis

26 Apr 2013, 23:47

IvanIvanovich wrote:[...] there is still no mold for ISO enter [...]
What about 1.5 mods?

realex

26 Apr 2013, 23:57

oh lord, that miami!

IvanIvanovich

27 Apr 2013, 00:03

I do not think 1.5 mold is done yet either :( maybe someone make a mini BSP buy for RGB 1.5 since there still have not been ISO RGB yet could be a good plan.

Acanthophis

27 Apr 2013, 00:18

IIRC, you mentioned tooling cost of $7000 for ISO enter?
Same price for a 1.5 mold?

pasph

27 Apr 2013, 01:03

you are going to kill my wallet...

IvanIvanovich

27 Apr 2013, 01:43

It's ok. Just give me your account details and I put you on the automatic subscription LOL.
This one will probably run a bit longer to allow some recovery.

I will have some further discussion about what it takes for mold making process and perhaps we can do some additional fundraising for them.

Kurk

28 Apr 2013, 09:51

No Dvorak this time?

IvanIvanovich

28 Apr 2013, 15:37

There was barely any interest last time, so I dropped it for now and give the Colemak people a shot. If there are too few orders it may be dropped too. They don't like setting up for less than 20 sets.

t!ng
Awake Sheep

28 Apr 2013, 16:30

Those new styles look awesome. Cant wait for 2nd round.

Return to “Group buys”