Cherry MX and Matias switches

7bit

10 Dec 2012, 20:00

Soarer wrote:
7bit wrote:RC-1140 seems to be right!

I can't see much of a difference. (sorry for the bad picture, it is not 100% sharp and I should have used a tele for this. :roll: )
That's not enough. Cherry produced springs with different numbers of turns that measure pretty much the same, and there's no reason why springs with the same number of turns can't measure differently. Measure the spring rates, or you're just rehashing old ripster trolling. :roll:
Please buy yourself any number of switches you think you need for your scientific experiments, be sending your order to CherryMX today!

Both, MXBROWN and MXRED are in stock and can be delivered within a few days.

Ekaros

10 Dec 2012, 20:11

Haa I noticed an error in OP... ;D

7bit

10 Dec 2012, 20:29

Ekaros wrote:Haa I noticed an error in OP... ;D
Can't find an error.

Your package shipped!
:-)

Hope you sent the money!
:?

Ekaros

10 Dec 2012, 20:44

7bit wrote:
Ekaros wrote:Haa I noticed an error in OP... ;D
Can't find an error.

Your package shipped!

Hope you sent the money!
:?

It's in cherry boxes, one quantity is wrong... I did. I hope it goes through this week.

7bit

10 Dec 2012, 20:48

OK, fixed!

yozu

10 Dec 2012, 23:41

Soarer wrote:
RC-1140 wrote:As far as I know they are the same.
I'm not going to start that argument again! (Although, maybe now it wouldn't get spammed to death :roll: )
RC-1140 wrote:Only 7bit is making lots of jokes lately…
NEVER take 7bit seriously. Just send him your money! :lol:
Thanks for the link; I was unaware of that thread. Fascinating read. I like how the thread immediately becomes a heated debate on the science of spring measurement.

7bit has my money and my thanks.

Soarer

11 Dec 2012, 00:58

yozu wrote: Thanks for the link; I was unaware of that thread. Fascinating read. I like how the thread immediately becomes a heated debate on the science of spring measurement.
Heh, well it was a follow on to part of a thread on GH, that's since been deleted :(

TheQsanity

11 Dec 2012, 02:06

They are close enough, but if you had the money and time to change them out and compare them with each other in each other's stems you might find a difference. There needs to be a lighter spring though. Typing on reds and browns are so nice!

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

11 Dec 2012, 14:44

Finally made up my mind an paid MX 0109 :o

blighty

11 Dec 2012, 17:10

Payments from Beauthegamer, Aleksander, and Broadmonkey have been received and marked as shipped for Paypal purposes (to keep them from locking up the PP account). Invoices may or may not reflect the payments yet. Keep checking this thread for the actual ship date(s), or spam this thread/7bit via PM the message "WHERE ARE MY SWITCHES, DID YOU SEND THEM YET." This only includes payments to me via Paypal. Note that the address on your Paypal notifications/notes are not necessarily the addresses 7bit will ship your switches to, he ships to the address on your invoice.

Sailer

12 Dec 2012, 11:59

Received switches today (0125)

Thanks 7bit!

cgbuen

12 Dec 2012, 22:17

A little confused.. the second email I got told me to send the PayPal money to Acanthophis (who has asked questions in this thread about ordering) instead of blighty. Is that really right?

7bit

12 Dec 2012, 22:23

cgbuen wrote:A little confused.. the second email I got told me to send the PayPal money to Acanthophis (who has asked questions in this thread about ordering) instead of blighty. Is that really right?
Yes.
Acanthophis is taking over the job from blighty.

He did a great job over quite a long perriod of time!

cgbuen

12 Dec 2012, 23:58

Very cool, thanks!

Does the bot have any keywords to add more/remove switches to the same (unpaid) invoice? Or a way to "clear the cart" and re-add the switches? Or should I just PM a new order entirely?

Ekaros

13 Dec 2012, 13:09

BTW did you get the payment?

7bit

13 Dec 2012, 13:20

Ekaros wrote:BTW did you get the payment?
Yes! Thanks!

7bit

13 Dec 2012, 13:22

cgbuen wrote:Very cool, thanks!

Does the bot have any keywords to add more/remove switches to the same (unpaid) invoice? Or a way to "clear the cart" and re-add the switches? Or should I just PM a new order entirely?
CLEARALL
clears the order.

MXRED 100
sets the quantity of MX Red switch to 100.

MXGREEN/NW 0
sets the quantity of MX Green NW switch to 0.

You've ordered 50 MXLOCKs and want 100 more:
MXLOCK 150

Can't be simpler!

;-)

cgbuen

13 Dec 2012, 18:52

Awesome, thanks so much! MX 0130 paid to Acanthophis!

Aleksander

13 Dec 2012, 19:16

7bit wrote: You've ordered 50 MXLOCKs and want 100 more:
MXLOCK 150
Now, what would anybody possibly need 150 MXlocks for?

Make the worlds most annoying keyboard, with NKRO and all lock-switches?

I imagine some very interesting forum posts would be written on that..

presence

13 Dec 2012, 20:39

I had a sticky "H" key on my filco majestouch2 and in the attempt to clean it (by removing the cap) I pretty much destroyed it. I guess you can't remove the brown switch covers on the filco like the other MX models.

If its feasible to solder on a new switch, I'll buy a set to be back to working (20 switches to be safe), thus:

Anyone know if replacing a switch is reasonable? I can solder sure, but am I going to have to destroy the board to get the old one off?
Are there mx browns available?
Is it still feasible to order them?
Is 20 a possible quantity?

Just hoping...be sad to toss a nice keyboard like this away due to a single switch failure.

Kevin

Ekaros

13 Dec 2012, 20:50

presence wrote:I had a sticky "H" key on my filco majestouch2 and in the attempt to clean it (by removing the cap) I pretty much destroyed it. I guess you can't remove the brown switch covers on the filco like the other MX models.

If its feasible to solder on a new switch, I'll buy a set to be back to working (20 switches to be safe), thus:

Anyone know if replacing a switch is reasonable? I can solder sure, but am I going to have to destroy the board to get the old one off?

Just hoping...be sad to toss a nice keyboard like this away due to a single switch failure.

Kevin
I don't know if feeling will change, but I replaced switches on one older plate mounted board without much problems.
Also you could swap new switch from some of the old ones on board and place new one on that.

Anyway there is likely some of them still stocked atleast I ordered some lately.

presence

13 Dec 2012, 21:03

I'm assuming the Filco Majestouch 2 has plate mounted switches and not pcb mounted ones. Can anyone confirm this for me?

Ekaros

13 Dec 2012, 21:04

presence wrote:I'm assuming the Filco Majestouch 2 has plate mounted switches and not pcb mounted ones. Can anyone confirm this for me?
Majestouch 1 is plate, I believe 2 is also. It's easy to check if there is metal next to switch it's plate mounted.

7bit

13 Dec 2012, 21:18

presence wrote:...

Kevin
Just order any quantity you like. Shipping is alwats $5, no matter how many you order!

I ship 1 brown if you like, but you can also order more ...

Ekaros

13 Dec 2012, 21:19

7bit wrote:
presence wrote:...

Kevin
Just order any quantity you like. Shipping is alwats $5, no matter how many you order!

I ship 1 brown if you like, but you can also order more ...

He should do It like a semi-man. Like I'm going to do replace entire alphanum-cluster ;D

Water and MX don't mix well... One thing I learned...

presence

13 Dec 2012, 21:23

It appears that there is plastic where the switch is seated, but perhaps metal below it? The research I have done on the net says plate mounted, so I guess thats what I need.

Anyone replace an MX Brown plate mounted switch? It seems like its worth the chance of recovering it for a few bucks instead of tossing it.

7bit

13 Dec 2012, 21:25

Water is absolutely no problem.

You must do something wrong!

Every Tipro keyboard I use has taken an intensive bath. I've let them dry for 3 days and they where fully functional afterwards!

Ekaros

13 Dec 2012, 21:27

presence wrote:It appears that there is plastic where the switch is seated, but perhaps metal below it? The research I have done on the net says plate mounted, so I guess thats what I need.

Anyone replace an MX Brown plate mounted switch? It seems like its worth the chance of recovering it for a few bucks instead of tossing it.
Basicly heat the solder remove it with what ever device is called or other method. Then use screwdriver or like to press the "pin" at middle of switch and it should pop out. Might need to use tad force and heat the solder bit more. Then just replace and add new solder.

Ekaros

13 Dec 2012, 21:27

7bit wrote:Water is absolutely no problem.

You must do something wrong!

Every Tipro keyboard I use has taken an intensive bath. I've let them dry for 3 days and they where fully functional afterwards!
The switches feel different... Or then there is still some sugar left...

7bit

13 Dec 2012, 21:32

Ekaros wrote:Water and MX don't mix well...

The switches feel different... Or then there is still some sugar left...
Now you talk about sugar!
Sugar is not a good idea. I clean them with Pril and hot water.

My G80-1501 survived a vinegar-bath which was necessary to get the bad smell out of it. Some switches where a bit sticky and scratchy afterwards, but I could rub off the crystals from the contacts with a screw driver and after some typing they felt like new.

Image Image

Return to “Group buys”