SSK PACKAGE DEAL 11 FOR 1850 USD SHIPPED!

Muirium
µ

13 Nov 2013, 13:38

JBert wrote:Is the exterior made from metal? I would guess it's more of that heavy opaque plastic used in the model F AT, meaning it is tough but brittle. Even the model F XT whose internals are built like a tank comes with such a top cover, and this cover is prone to cracking.

Then again, I'm sure you'll inspect them, and they might not have suffered much.
It's hard to tell just from pictures, but Kishy's looks pretty heavy duty:
In fact, I just put my XT on a scale and it comes to 2701g, all-in. But the little Kishsaver beats it!
So I'm guessing there is a lot of metal in these guys, including the case. Sweet!

xbb

13 Nov 2013, 14:29

I once received a terminal model F in a tight box without any padding, I was afraid the plastic broke but it didn't, just some keycaps went off.

webwit
Wild Duck

13 Nov 2013, 15:02

I once received a terminal model F in a tight box without any padding, and the plastic broke. :cry:

GeorgeK

13 Nov 2013, 15:57

Nut driver arrived today so I've begun the disassembly of my SSK - rather unsurprisingly when I opened it up I found 22 broken rivets and another 9 that broke just by me picking at them! Bearing in mind that there are only 49 in total it's no surprise that it's not working!

I can't seem to unplug the ribbon cables from the pcb however - I've tried wiggling and even using pliers but no joy... If I'm careful will it be ok to leave it on as I mod it?

tinnie

13 Nov 2013, 16:01

GeorgeK wrote:Nut driver arrived today so I've begun the disassembly of my SSK - rather unsurprisingly when I opened it up I found 22 broken rivets and another 9 that broke just by me picking at them! Bearing in mind that there are only 49 in total it's no surprise that it's not working!

I can't seem to unplug the ribbon cables from the pcb however - I've tried wiggling and even using pliers but no joy... If I'm careful will it be ok to leave it on as I mod it?
:cry: :cry:

GeorgeK

13 Nov 2013, 16:02

Actually I was being an idiot - ribbon thingys now unplugged :)

Edit: Why the :( tinnie?

Muirium
µ

13 Nov 2013, 16:05

Hmm… wonder what made them as sticky as that. Were you just being too cautious?

Each ribbon goes to a different layer of the membrane sandwich. You can actually keep them together when handling it, if you like. Once the metal backplate is cleanly off, everything's fairly friendly in there.

I bolt modded my 122 key Terminal Model M to fix the unresponsive E key, and to clean everything up in there as it had a whiff of old curry to it. I found the culprit was the rubbery layer directly under the buckling springs and hammers, which softens their wear on the conductive membranes. So I soaked it in coffee, as you do…

http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/how- ... lit=coffee

tinnie

13 Nov 2013, 16:54

GeorgeK wrote:Actually I was being an idiot - ribbon thingys now unplugged :)

Because yours has so many broken rivets. :(

GeorgeK

13 Nov 2013, 18:17

tinnie wrote:
GeorgeK wrote:Actually I was being an idiot - ribbon thingys now unplugged :)

Because yours has so many broken rivets. :(
Not to worry - parts for a bolt mod are on their way to me as I type :)
Muirium wrote:Hmm… wonder what made them as sticky as that. Were you just being too cautious?
Not cautious - it was just me being a complete idiot - I was trying to pull the black plastic thing off the PCB rather than the ribbon out of the black plastic thing... :lol:

tinnie

14 Nov 2013, 13:26

Prepare your wallet, going to invoice the shipping very very very soon. :)

Neal

14 Nov 2013, 23:44

GJ at finding these.

ninjadoc

15 Nov 2013, 12:11

tinnie wrote:Prepare your wallet, going to invoice the shipping very very very soon. :)
How about you invoice me for an SSK!
I wish! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

tinnie

15 Nov 2013, 12:45

Clam down dude clam down! :twisted:

By the way, shipped 17 kishsavers today.

Muirium
µ

15 Nov 2013, 12:48

Were they all in one package? Did you need a forklift truck!

tinnie

15 Nov 2013, 12:56

Muirium wrote:Were they all in one package? Did you need a forklift truck!
they're in 2 package. And I'm tired as f already. :(

P.s. Need a NL and GB proxy.

Muirium
µ

15 Nov 2013, 13:02

Britain you say? How many are coming here?

Kurk

15 Nov 2013, 16:31

NL proxy? How many? ETA well before christmas?

tinnie

15 Nov 2013, 17:06

Kurk wrote:NL proxy? How many? ETA well before christmas?
Webwit x2
Kurk x3
Nourather x1

Kurk

15 Nov 2013, 17:22

I can do that. PM me any details.

tinnie

17 Nov 2013, 09:47

Paypal locked my account :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Muirium
µ

17 Nov 2013, 10:40

Bugger. Did they say the reason?

A lot of :shock: and a growing hatred for Paypal, and soon you'll turn into 7bit! We'll know when you tell us to PM a bot to make orders. :roll:

tinnie

17 Nov 2013, 10:58

Muirium wrote:Bugger. Did they say the reason?

A lot of :shock: and a growing hatred for Paypal, and soon you'll turn into 7bit! We'll know when you tell us to PM a bot to make orders. :roll:
Well, they said they'll resolve it in coming week.

P.S. Won't ship any stuff before paypal unlock my account, sorry.

rindorbrot

17 Nov 2013, 11:31

Damn that sucks! Hope you get your money soon!

webwit
Wild Duck

17 Nov 2013, 13:43

Payhell strikes again. :cry:

Muirium
µ

17 Nov 2013, 14:37

Accesses the web from MORE THAN 2 COMPUTERS? That's more than an account lock, that's a red light for the authorities. Clearly the customer is a drug baron, warlord and computer hacker! Who else could possibly do that.

iAmAhab

17 Nov 2013, 19:06

Hopefully this will be resolved quickly.
Any updates on the new SSK batch?

Daniel

17 Nov 2013, 20:18

I feel very sorry for you! Paypal is really nice as a buyer, but a nightmare as a seller. :(

GeorgeK

17 Nov 2013, 20:29

Rubbish news about the paypal crap tinnie :(

Update on my SSK - as I was dismantling it today I realised that the barrel plate had a HUGE crack in it directly under the home row and about 6" long... Some superglue seems to have sorted it as, after a bolt mod, I have a fully functioning board! The only issue that has arisen is that the c key needs a good hard press to make it work - I'll have to dismantle it again and see what's up - has anyone got any thoughts as to what could be the matter? Anyway - some pics:

Cracked barrel plate

Post repair - you can make out the superglue line just above the home row - maybe it was even more than 6"...

Finished! The case and keycaps need a clean but I thought I'd make sure it all worked first before making everything shiny again

Never a more beautiful sight

snoopy

17 Nov 2013, 20:39

try to loosen the screws a bit in the area of the c key

Muirium
µ

17 Nov 2013, 20:53

Yup. The bolts can be too loose or too tight. That sounds tight. Did you bolt mod it with nuts and bolts, or go the old fashioned route with bolts alone?

Congratulations on doing a sterling repair job in less time than it takes me to write up mine!

Return to “Group buys”