Interest Check for a GMK group buy

sherryton

09 Oct 2013, 10:34

I wanted to share our keysets to the European side of the country. Many of you might not like us (originative), because we only offer US Ansi layout for the time being. By adding euro layouts, we might achieve a lower cost.

If you are interested in a certain layout, then please add it to "Others". Most likely, I will need an explanation of the layout. I recently tried to help the UK members with ISO. I realized how close the UK layout is to Nordic, DE, and FR.

Of course there are certain keys in each set that sets them apart but if a few touch typists are fine with blanks then we can accommodate for that easily.

Here are the details:

I plan to do a group buy for 3 new keysets.
Help me decide on a third one. This third set will be limited to just 3 colors.

http://goo.gl/lis3wB

Poll ends on Friday 6:00 PM PST

I am planning to do other various small packages:

1x Blanks
6.25x/7x Space Bars:
An Eraser Pack, http://i.imgur.com/L7zpKWc.jpg, but with different legends
17 keys White on RGBY set

Greens: 2.75x, 2.25x, 1.75x, 1x Fn (Possibly 1.25x)
Red: 2 - 1.5x, 2 - 1.25x, 1x Red Esc
Blue: 2 - 1.5x, 2 - 1.25x
Yellow: 2 - 1.25x, 2 - 1x

I also like to know interest in any other small sets.
Last edited by sherryton on 11 Oct 2013, 07:22, edited 1 time in total.

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

09 Oct 2013, 14:27

I love the idea of separate bars that you don't have to buy with a set!

Edit: it's also nice to see you here at DT, sherryton!

sherryton

09 Oct 2013, 14:37

The idea of the space bar was to add a 7x space bar to the PBT set. I am not sure if anyone here has purchased the set yet, but it is from BSP.

But it would be nice to offer a few colored space bars, especially in the Handarbeit colors.

DT is a place full of collectors, and I love to collect too :)

Right now, I only have a 1800 and a 5000 though :(

pasph

09 Oct 2013, 15:01

Great offers!

LechnerDE

09 Oct 2013, 15:02

sherryton wrote:But it would be nice to offer a few colored space bars, especially in the Handarbeit colors.
Does this mean you won't offer Cherry beige or white spacebars that could be used with the vintage Cherry sets?

In a perfect world I'd buy a GMK Raindrop Mod Set + a beige spacebar from you and use my vintage BlackOnBeige Alphas :)

sherryton

09 Oct 2013, 15:06

LechnerDE wrote:
sherryton wrote:But it would be nice to offer a few colored space bars, especially in the Handarbeit colors.
Does this mean you won't offer Cherry beige or white spacebars that could be used with the vintage Cherry sets?

In a perfect world I'd buy a GMK Raindrop Mod Set + a beige spacebar from you and use my vintage BlackOnBeige Alphas :)
The space bars will be most likely what I see being voted. If it does not pass the MOQ, then it will not go into production. It is as easy as that.

damorgue

09 Oct 2013, 15:15

I did not realize I could put two options for colour if I had typed in an under Other. Feel free to add Red Alert and Raindrop under my entry as well.

LechnerDE

09 Oct 2013, 15:16

sherryton wrote:The space bars will be most likely what I see being voted. If it does not pass the MOQ, then it will not go into production. It is as easy as that.

Thanks for the fast reply.

So the spacebars will always be the color of the Mods? For example if Raindrop wins the vote you'd offer blue spacebars?

Peter

09 Oct 2013, 15:22

Of course there are certain keys in each set that sets them apart but if a few touch typists are fine with blanks then we can accommodate for that easily
That's what I thought when first infected by the cap-virus -
Or that I could live with using a German-layout set .

Unfortunately, it's not how it really works .
Somehow, the brain registers that 'something was wrong' every single time I hit one of those keys .
(The swapped 'Y' and 'Z' on German layout fex)
If I could live with a few blank keys, I could live even better with 105 blanks !
What's the point in paying for nice keycaps if they look wrong and that annoys you during use ?

The 'Dolch' SP-groupbuy had it almost right, about 40 extra caps covered layouts used by about 200 million people .
I say 'almost' because the final language-pack clearly showed that NOBODY at SP had a damn clue about the layouts in question - There where some STRANGE caps in that set !

The problem with GMK is that they don't really seem to interested in our business,
they would much rather just make 20.000 sets in one layout, for one specific keyboard .

And then there's all the moaning to deal with to :
But.. I only want Icelandic caps - Why do I have to pay for the Germans caps as well ?
Because there is a 400 MOQ ! Either we ALL get them or nobody does !

NOTE : French,Italian and Spanish layout can not be done with a small language-pack ..

Besides, we apparently can't even meet MOQ for the GB by IvanIvanovitch :
http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/ ... t6551.html

LechnerDE

09 Oct 2013, 15:50

Peter wrote:
If I could live with a few blank keys, I could live even better with 105 blanks!
What's the point in paying for nice keycaps if they look wrong and that annoys you during use ?
I can't stress this enough!

Blanks are no option in my opinion because it will look like a crippled set. When 90% of the keys have legends blank keys will always look odd. I don't even care what legends are on my keys but it has to look consistent. I'd be very happy if I could buy an ANSI set from you and add those 4 essential ISO keys with legends to it (2x Modifier + 2x Alpha).

I don't look at my keyboard at all while typing so technically I don't need legends, but it's all about the looks! It's either 100% legends or 100% blank for me.

tlt

09 Oct 2013, 15:55

I agree with Peter, if I didn't care about the legends of the caps because I don't look at them very much while typing there would be no reason to get caps at all or even care about how the keyboard looks. Buying caps is all about getting as close to what you want as possible, for the reason that you want it.
Last edited by tlt on 09 Oct 2013, 15:57, edited 1 time in total.

Peter

09 Oct 2013, 15:55

..but it has to look consistent
Yes, that's the right word !

dirge

09 Oct 2013, 16:00

THAT FUNCTION ROW!

LechnerDE

09 Oct 2013, 16:03

Haha dirge,

if you'd get a Dollar everytime you post this picture you'd be freaking rich by now :lol:

7bit

09 Oct 2013, 16:08

dirge wrote:Image

THAT FUNCTION ROW!
In for 3 sets.
:-)

Halvar

09 Oct 2013, 16:56

I agree with Lechner that probably one of the more attractive things you could do for Europeans is to offer "2nd color" (modifier+nav) packs in interesting colorsets with English and/or symbol legends that look nice when combined with vintage Cherry alpha sets, especially black-on-white, which are more abundant on ebay in international layouts.

With GMK MOQs being as they are, alpha sets for non-US-ANSI users seem hardly doable at all, and even less if competing group buys try to do something in that direction at the same time.

BimboBB

09 Oct 2013, 17:08

Halvar wrote: With GMK MOQs being as they are, alpha sets for non-US-ANSI users seem hardly doable at all, and even less if competing group buys try to do something in that direction at the same time.
its perfect timing, isnt it!? ;)

sherryton

09 Oct 2013, 17:15

Peter wrote:
..but it has to look consistent
Yes, that's the right word !
So if I was to do a set in UK layout, will others accept it? It will look consistent because every key will have a legend.

I can also add a Y to the B Profile and a Z to the D Profile.
Halvar wrote:I agree with Lechner that probably one of the more attractive things you could do for Europeans is to offer "2nd color" (modifier+nav) packs in interesting colorsets with English and/or symbol legends that look nice when combined with vintage Cherry alpha sets, especially black-on-white, which are more abundant on ebay in international layouts.

With GMK MOQs being as they are, alpha sets for non-US-ANSI users seem hardly doable at all, and even less if competing group buys try to do something in that direction at the same time.
I like to offer a Modifier + NAV, but it will not be cheap. We are actually offering one as one of the three sets.

There was only 1 successful group buy. The other one is being done by Ivan again.

7bit

09 Oct 2013, 17:16

BimboBB wrote:
Halvar wrote:GMK MOQ ... at the same time.[/b]
:popcorn:
:-)

tinnie

09 Oct 2013, 17:18

BimboBB wrote:
Halvar wrote: With GMK MOQs being as they are, alpha sets for non-US-ANSI users seem hardly doable at all, and even less if competing group buys try to do something in that direction at the same time.
Sure it is. :lol: :evilgeek:

P.S. Can't wait to see the drama.

LechnerDE

09 Oct 2013, 18:08

sherryton wrote:So if I was to do a set in UK layout, will others accept it? It will look consistent because every key will have a legend.
Of course I can't speak for everyone, but I would buy it if I like the color scheme.
sherryton wrote:I agree with Lechner that probably one of the more attractive things you could do for Europeans is to
I like to offer a Modifier + NAV, but it will not be cheap. We are actually offering one as one of the three sets.

There was only 1 successful group buy. The other one is being done by Ivan again.
We could get vintage Cherry sets rather cheap. So most of us already have BlackOnBeige Alphas in good condition. So if Mod+Nav Pack was in the ~60$ range it would be ok I guess.

Jmneuv

09 Oct 2013, 18:46

What's with the stealing.. just place a juicy order with Ivan.

Peter

09 Oct 2013, 19:01

sherryton wrote:So if I was to do a set in UK layout, will others accept it? It will look consistent because every key will have a legend.
I would spend the cash on buying a bunch of TA-typewriters instead,
can't stand not having my ÆØÅ ..
But I'm pretty certain all the UK-layout guys would love it .

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

09 Oct 2013, 19:29

Peter wrote: Somehow, the brain registers that 'something was wrong' every single time I hit one of those keys .
(The swapped 'Y' and 'Z' on German layout fex)
If I could live with a few blank keys, I could live even better with 105 blanks !
I completely agree with you that having a different layout fuck with your mind, even those pesky Ä and Ö along with wrongly placed Æ and Ø that they insist on mixing in on our laptop keyboard fucks with my head and prevents me from ever learning to touch type properly.
I do however think that blank legends is better than wrong legends, but it have to be on insignificant keys like the ¨^~ and the ´` key. Numrow has to be either only numbers or have the right shift characters.
I have a numrow with only number legends, and it works pretty well, I can remember where the different shift characters is and nothing tries to tell me that my memory is wrong. It also looks way better that with shift characters.

I say that something like what Dirge posted with the colorful F-row should be made with only number legends so that it could be used as a numrow too. Instant buy and makes it more euro friendly.

Paranoid

09 Oct 2013, 20:39

Like many of the EU people I also have my country's native keyset language (be azerty). After a lot of luck and searching I have managed to acquire a few black on beige dyesubs and one white on black doubleshot set.

I'm not really sure how to put this in your interest form and not even sure if this is what you're after so I'm just going to write it here.

So basically the only thing I would be interested in is a space bar, modifiers and possible a NAV pack. This can be black or beige or a really nice different color to accentuate the set.

Another thing is of course a full blank set in awesome colors. I would be in for that as well. And of course let's not forget a windowed F-row. I'd buy that in a heartbeat. With or without symbols on it.

The only thing that stays difficult is that the MOQ is ridiculously high. Even Ivan current GB seems to be having a really hard time getting there as mentioned before.
I have a numrow with only number legends, and it works pretty well, I can remember where the different shift characters is and nothing tries to tell me that my memory is wrong. It also looks way better that with shift characters.

I say that something like what Dirge posted with the colorful F-row should be made with only number legends so that it could be used as a numrow too. Instant buy and makes it more euro friendly.
And I agree on this as well :)

sherryton

10 Oct 2013, 00:13

BimboBB wrote:
I am definitely here not to ruin any group buys. I have talked to Ivan, and hopefully we move in the right direction.

dirge

10 Oct 2013, 08:18

The right direction being a black on yellorange function row.

sherryton

10 Oct 2013, 08:26

dirge wrote:The right direction being a black on yellorange function row.
Lol, if that set is made, and it is not called the dirge set then something is wrong.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

10 Oct 2013, 08:55

I can't say it enough. The only way to have an international GMK GB is by putting all ISO languages together into one megamoth set (of 5/6 languages).

mauri

10 Oct 2013, 10:18

matt3o wrote:I can't say it enough. The only way to have an international GMK GB is by putting all ISO languages together into one megamoth set (of 5/6 languages).
And it'd be extremely confusing, symbols have a tendency to jump places so there'd be 2-3 of the same symbol in different locations

Return to “Group buys”