Round 5 and Round 6 kits for sale!

caligo

11 Sep 2016, 11:31

Does it really matter why things got messed up? I mean, yeah, sure, for future GBs that use SP it's probably quite relevant. A Wiki entry on how to interact with them would probably help a lot of prospective GB organizers. But for this group buy, what's delayed is delayed, no?

7bit's workflow is optimized for dealing with a group buy of quite some magnitude, using scripting and other tools that are quite apt at dealing with that kind of stuff. SP has their own work flow, geared towards dealing with graphic designers and the likes and then using a CNC router or whatever to make moulds. These two processes are bound to clash with one another in some ways. All of zslane's points are probably quite valid – there might very well be less misprints if everything was designed in AI. But that would also require doing things by hand, or setting up an entirely new workflow. Using something that works as long as you know what the pitfalls are (even if that knowledge comes at the price of some initial mishaps) is sometimes the reasonable way to go. And SP ought to be aware of the dangers inherent in using SVG files – there's no real reason for them to not double- and triple-check before making moulds.

khongthenhuvay

11 Sep 2016, 14:04

There is no secret magic, it just because their software natively support AI only and other files must be converted to AI. There are many problem when converting from SVG to AI, even AI itself can wrongly import a SVG file, in some case.

If SP can work well with your 72dpi SVG, so be with it. Software for industrial machines will not be upgraded frequently.

P.S. I still don't understand why SP cannot support PS and EPS which are the ancestors of AI

mecano

11 Sep 2016, 14:16

Are you sure they don't support it or don't want to go to the trouble for these?
Because .ai files are enhanced .eps with vector transparency basically and never had a problem inporting EPS files in AI through numerous versions (taking that the files were not fancy EPS kinda like ones) I guess you'd be pretty safe with an .eps file and this should allow you to stay in the open area.

You should be carefull when exporting/saving your work though, some programs are notorious for throwing away the vectors and only keep a bitmap rasterized version (read Inkscape here), why maybe you went into dpi troubles while vector files should be free of this problem (can be an export problem on your side or an import problem on SP side). Process can be convoluted but doable : http://blog.linuxgrrl.com/2013/08/12/ho ... -software/

You can also check Dia which is open source and can save as EPS, you can generate objects through XML and it is Python scriptable. While it is aimed at diagrams I smell you can use it for layouts, and it can also export .dxf files : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dia_(software)

Which software+version SP is using may be a good thing to know, anyone?

khongthenhuvay

11 Sep 2016, 14:28

7bit stated above that SP rejected his PS and EPS files, that's why he had to use SVG. That's pretty strange because AI will never have any problem importing them as you said.

mecano

11 Sep 2016, 16:38

Missed that :/
That's pretty weird indeed.
As zslane stated, svg is meant to be rasterized in the end, and it is not by any means an industry standard outside the web and was quiet moribund outside open source projects until raphael.js revived it (then been bought by Adobe and killed again?). Even a .pdf file would be a better option here.

7bit

11 Sep 2016, 18:09

The best option would be to generate the direct input file for the CNC machine, like Gerber or DXF or whatever they really use. AI, SVG or whatever are all intermediate fomats.

zslane

11 Sep 2016, 18:21

caligo wrote: Does it really matter why things got messed up?
I think that depends on who is asking "Why are there even more delays?", particularly when 7bit answers something to the effect of, "Because SP didn't do the right thing with my graphics." Clearing up a few technical details might be of interest to a number of invested onlookers.

Plus, 7bit is in the midst of putting together Round 7. I saw a chance to help 7bit before he repeated any of the same mistakes that have been repeated countless times in past group buys (not just his, btw). I realize he has his own workflow that works for him, but if one is interested in minimizing production mistakes and delays, my advice is to use the workflow/tools that work best for SP instead.

phinix

11 Sep 2016, 19:53

zslane wrote: Only Phase 1 is in production (the violet and cream keys, according to 7bit). Phase 2 is currently in limbo while 7bit attempts to acquire the funds necessary to pay SP for it.
Phase 2 is also in production. Hopefully they working on both.

7bit

11 Sep 2016, 20:07

They better finish phase 2 quickly, so I can ship the first load and can sell the extras to speed up phase 2.
:roll:

BTW: Round 7 starts in a few days, if not hours ...
:cool:

khongthenhuvay

11 Sep 2016, 20:20

Just curious, no offense, why do you have to make so many kits?

IMHO I think less number of kits will help you collect money and complete your GB more quickly

eddible

11 Sep 2016, 20:34

7bit wrote:
I'm not ready. [LOUDLY CRYING FACE]

phinix

11 Sep 2016, 20:46

7bit wrote: They better finish phase 2 quickly, so I can ship the first load and can sell the extras to speed up phase 2.

I hope they making phase 2 as we speak, not leaving it aside, waiting for money?
Do you have a good contact with them? Can you ask them what is going on?

maximm

11 Sep 2016, 21:14

I think 7bit was pretty clear before. Hes missing a lot of money to be able to pay them.

Griffy

11 Sep 2016, 22:01

Wait a minute.....they have been in production since 2013?

I hope my order helps with some more money then:

HONEYB/TKLISOBASE/GREY (TKL ISO base white kit | $79)
HONEYB/TKLISOBASE/WHITE (TKL ISO base white kit | $79)
HONEYB/ALPHAINT/WHITE (ALPHAINT white kit | $36) 2
HONEYB/INTER/WHITE (Inter kit (DE,DK,NO,SE) | $39) 2
HONEYB/ESCAPE/RED (ESCAPE (row 1, 1 unit) | $2)
HONEYB/JRET/RED (ISO-RETURN key | $8)
HONEYB/KBDRUNNER/RED (keyboard runner (row 1) | $3)
HONEYB/CAPSLOCK175S/GREY (CAPS LOCK (r 3, 1.75 u) | $6)
HONEYB/F1TOF12/BLACK (F1-F12 (row 1, 1 unit) | $16)
HONEYB/CURSORBASE/BLACK (Cursor base black kit | $12)
HONEYB/NUMNUM/BLACK (Numpad black kit | $25)
HONEYB/NUMOP/WHITE (Numpad white kit* | $19)
HONEYB/SPACE625/WHITE (Space (6.25u; white) | $5) 2

:?:

7bit

11 Sep 2016, 22:09

No, they started production in May 2016.

But thanks for your order!
:ugeek::

BTW: If we don't let them ship the keys. we have almost the funds to let them make the phase 2 keys.
Just about $5000-$600 are missing.
:o

eddible

11 Sep 2016, 22:20

GriffDeLaGriff wrote:Wait a minute.....they have been in production since 2013?

I hope my order helps with some more money then:

HONEYB/TKLISOBASE/GREY (TKL ISO base white kit | $79)
HONEYB/TKLISOBASE/WHITE (TKL ISO base white kit | $79)
HONEYB/ALPHAINT/WHITE (ALPHAINT white kit | $36) 2
HONEYB/INTER/WHITE (Inter kit (DE,DK,NO,SE) | $39) 2
HONEYB/ESCAPE/RED (ESCAPE (row 1, 1 unit) | $2)
HONEYB/JRET/RED (ISO-RETURN key | $8)
HONEYB/KBDRUNNER/RED (keyboard runner (row 1) | $3)
HONEYB/CAPSLOCK175S/GREY (CAPS LOCK (r 3, 1.75 u) | $6)
HONEYB/F1TOF12/BLACK (F1-F12 (row 1, 1 unit) | $16)
HONEYB/CURSORBASE/BLACK (Cursor base black kit | $12)
HONEYB/NUMNUM/BLACK (Numpad black kit | $25)
HONEYB/NUMOP/WHITE (Numpad white kit* | $19)
HONEYB/SPACE625/WHITE (Space (6.25u; white) | $5) 2

:?:
When did you place this order?

7bit

11 Sep 2016, 22:33

After my post. So it is now $115 less.

eddible

11 Sep 2016, 22:46

7bit wrote:After my post. So it is now $115 less.
Am I missing something here? Hardly any of those sets are on the leftovers list. The TKLISOBASE kits at the least have been unavailable for ages.

7bit

11 Sep 2016, 22:54

Headded some keys to his order, worth $115.
;-)

If everybody would follow his heroic example, things would be much better.
:evilgeek:

eddible

11 Sep 2016, 22:55

7bit wrote:Headded some keys to his order, worth $115.
;-)
Ooooh, that makes more sense. I thought I'd got things all wrong!

lukenukum

11 Sep 2016, 22:57

if you add keys to an order that's already been paid... does some magic happen to calc the cost difference or does it all get a bit messy with delivery etc?

7bit

11 Sep 2016, 23:02

Not at all!

You can add stuff all the time until everything is sold out.

You get a new invoice. However, it might be the case that your previous payments not yet show up.

Mashby, do you read this?!

lukenukum

11 Sep 2016, 23:08

ahh ok... cool. :)

Griffy

11 Sep 2016, 23:32

This is confusing.

If you read here:
wiki/Round_6#HONEYB.2FTKL.2FSPH_.28TKL_ ... _.24129.29
(scroll up)

It says:
Please look at this list to see what is still available:

— Round 5 Leftovers for sale! —
— Round 6 Leftovers for sale! —

To the list of available kits: HoneyB kits

And if you click the "HoneyB kits" it takes you to:
wiki/Round_6#HoneyB_Kits

And the tkliso is on that list.

If I misunderstood then where is the page with whats still available?

Virtureal

11 Sep 2016, 23:40

Griffy

11 Sep 2016, 23:54

Ok so this was actually a new order, so I gotta go back and remake this.
It looks like I can have everything from that list except: black f-row, red esc and black/grey numpad.
Should still be able to make a tkl and a 60% plus a separate numpad (but in other colors).

I can alsways use the funny black ones instead of the f-keys but damn no red escape haha.

Griffy

12 Sep 2016, 00:58

1 question (wich is split in two).

1a) I dont understand what grey Round 6 actually has. It Says GPA but the info on the right with the pics has the sample of the blue and also the grey GD?

1b) Can I mix grey caps from leftovers round 5 and 6 and they will be the same grey?

Omg they are beautiful.

ischeinfeld

12 Sep 2016, 01:33

Are the kits listed in wiki/R6_leftovers#HoneyB_Kits still available?

zslane

12 Sep 2016, 01:58

GriffDeLaGriff wrote: 1 question (wich is split in two).

1a) I dont understand what grey Round 6 actually has. It Says GPA but the info on the right with the pics has the sample of the blue and also the grey GD?

1b) Can I mix grey caps from leftovers round 5 and 6 and they will be the same grey?

Omg they are beautiful.
There are two different greys in Round 6: GD, which 7bit calls "SPH grey" because they go with the BLUE keys to create the Space Cadet colorway, just like Round 4 SPH did, and GPA which is the "Honeywell" grey and matches the grey found in Round 5 HONEY kits.

So, yes, you can mix Round 5 and 6 grey keycaps as long as you stick to the GPA GREY keycaps from Round 6, not the GD SPH keycaps.

7bit

12 Sep 2016, 07:03

GriffDeLaGriff wrote: 1 question (wich is split in two).

Omg they are beautiful.
SPH-grey (GD) matches BFP and GREY-grey matches white, red, black.
:-)

If they are the same color thety should look the same even if produced at different times, except SP messed up some of the red keys in Round 5 a slightly bit.
ischeinfeld wrote: Are the kits listed in wiki/R6_leftovers#HoneyB_Kits still available?
Yes, except they are sold out because someone ordered something since the last update.
;-)

Return to “Group buys”