[IC] Set to complement vitage WoB Cherry DS

tlt

18 Feb 2014, 15:29

I have been looking for caps to complement a WoB Cherry DS set to have it on a Filco, but they are hard to come by. Colorful 1.25 Control and Alt are available in different group buys but there are other caps needed to complete a board. One cap I think many are missing is a center stemmed Caps Lock (I only have a purple one) but Windows keys and black 6.25 space bar is also hart to find.

Is there enough interest for a GMK GB here?

WoB from GMK, for example:
1 x center stemmed hand bag cap
3 x blank 1.25 (for Windows keys)
1 x 6.25 black space bar

BimboBB

18 Feb 2014, 15:59

very interested!

But last attempt, when Ivan recently tried to get running a WoB modpack, failed and it was stuck at 100 orders or something.

damorgue

18 Feb 2014, 16:11

That failed one was just a weird interpretation of a moogle imo. There are three GMK moogle interest checks going on at GH for a proper GMK moogle, so this will probably be done in not too long.

tlt

18 Feb 2014, 16:19

Ok, sound good!
Could you post links. I can't find them.

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

18 Feb 2014, 17:13

I can't really spot any other serious IC for a white on black moogle set, so I think this is as good a place as any to start. Maybe increase the increase the number of keys a bit, to both make the shipping worthwhile and act as a full moogle kit. something like this and not much else (maybe shift, idk):
Moogle kit.png
Moogle kit.png (15.3 KiB) Viewed 6333 times

damorgue

18 Feb 2014, 17:14

Hmm, I just found two and they were both to complement Cherry vintage BoW, not WoB. I was sure I read one which was WoB somewhere, but can't seem to find it. tinnie mentioned running a vintage moogle with both at some point though.

damorgue

18 Feb 2014, 17:16

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

18 Feb 2014, 17:22

If you prefer to stay on DT ;)

IvanIvanovich

18 Feb 2014, 18:15

What Broadmonkey post is essentially what I was thinking about offering in next minipacks, also in addition the nav 6 keys, 2 units numpad zero and 2 units + key since most people source set from 1800/7000 keyboards and those are missing/wrong profile for 3000/Filco et all style layouts. I was also debating on trying an international pack again in white/black as I think it may have a higher chance of success.
I haven't talked about it much since I wanted to wrap up the other things I have open first. But of course if someone else wants to take care of it first...

snoopy

18 Feb 2014, 19:19

I would buy a set :)

BimboBB

18 Feb 2014, 20:11

Alt Gr would be nice again.

@ANSI folk

Are you using both ALT keys the same or are you usually just use one "main" ALT key (left or right) and the other one is rather unused?

tlt

20 Feb 2014, 09:45

Broadmonkey wrote:Maybe increase the increase the number of keys a bit, to both make the shipping worthwhile and act as a full moogle kit. something like this and not much else (maybe shift, idk):
Moogle kit.png
I think it makes sens to have a full moogle kit with the caps lock and the whole bottom row. But do we need support for 1.5 modifiers? People who want 1.5 are they not using vintage keyboards that vintage sets already fits on?
IvanIvanovich wrote:What Broadmonkey post is essentially what I was thinking about offering in next minipacks, also in addition the nav 6 keys, 2 units numpad zero and 2 units + key since most people source set from 1800/7000 keyboards and those are missing/wrong profile for 3000/Filco et all style layouts.
This is exactly what I'm after. A WoB GMK moogle kit that enables you to put a G81-3000 or G80-1800 set on a Filco. I think there is a lot of these vintage sets out there in the community that could be put to good use for a reasonable sum if this kind of kit was available. You could for example use some old keyboard parts and a kit like this to make a nice modern keyboard to give to a friend without spending to much on caps.
IvanIvanovich wrote: I was also debating on trying an international pack again in white/black as I think it may have a higher chance of success.

I would order a international pack
IvanIvanovich wrote:I haven't talked about it much since I wanted to wrap up the other things I have open first. But of course if someone else wants to take care of it first...
I have been thinking of helping out in group buys but I'm in Sweden which is not ideal for it as we don't have euros and shipping is kind of expensive, Germany seems to be the best place in Europe for GBs.

You are great at running GB Ivan and if you are planing a GB like this that's perfect. Tell me is I can help out in any way.

damorgue

20 Feb 2014, 09:51

tlt wrote:
Broadmonkey wrote:Maybe increase the increase the number of keys a bit, to both make the shipping worthwhile and act as a full moogle kit. something like this and not much else (maybe shift, idk):
Moogle kit.png
I think it makes sens to have a full moogle kit with the caps lock and the whole bottom row. But do we need support for 1.5 modifiers? People who want 1.5 are they not using vintage keyboards that vintage sets already fits on?
I want 1.5u. That is one of the main reasons why I am interested. Old sets with pad printed off center stemmed 1.25u bottom rows are common. I want a proper doubleshot 1.5u bottom row.

Edit. Broadmonkey's suggested pack looks great. I personally would like to add windowed and/or stepped caps lock, but as long as the bottom rows are there.

BimboBB

20 Feb 2014, 10:12

tlt wrote:
Moogle kit.png
Yes, 1.5 support is needed. Most BoW sets you wont find in common vintage layout (1.5-7-1.5). Its either G81's with their useless mods or 1800er boards with 1u mods.

tlt

20 Feb 2014, 10:19

damorgue wrote: Old sets with pad printed off center stemmed 1.25u bottom rows are common.
I don't think anyone here likes those and they are not useful on for example a Filco.

So what keyboard with 1.5 mods are you using?

damorgue

20 Feb 2014, 10:24

tlt wrote:
damorgue wrote: Old sets with pad printed off center stemmed 1.25u bottom rows are common.
I don't think anyone here likes those and they are not useful on for example a Filco.
I think you have misunderstood me. Of course I am not saying that anyone wants those. I am saying they are common.

That is the reason why I want this set to include 1.5u. I am not in any way saying that this set shouldn't include 1.25u. I am simply stating that to explain that 1.5u vintage boards aren't common and that most have 1.25u pad printed legends. I wrote it to answer this:
tlt wrote:I think it makes sens to have a full moogle kit with the caps lock and the whole bottom row. But do we need support for 1.5 modifiers? People who want 1.5 are they not using vintage keyboards that vintage sets already fits on?

tlt

20 Feb 2014, 10:52

I misunderstood you. :-)

I'm curious about which 1.5u keyboards are popular. Vintage G80-3000 with pad printing maybe?

damorgue

20 Feb 2014, 11:21

Customs and vintage boards probably.

There are also modern board such as the Filco Minila which use 1.5u to varying degree, but I'd say that they are not very prominent around here.

quochung1989
Vintage Cherry Collector

20 Feb 2014, 14:06

So. I think you should include both 1.5u & 1.25u ;)

IvanIvanovich

20 Feb 2014, 16:39

White/black doubleshot sets with 1.5 mods are not easy to find. I have only seen them available few times in the few years I have been interested in Cherry stuff. 3 time it was an 1800 model which I bought, just for the 1.5 keys really. Other times it was a winkeyless 3000 model but it was located in Italy so was not feasible for me to buy it, and someone had a DE set but wanted too much for it for me at the time.
The most common are US G81-7000 and G81-8000 both of which have generally useless bottom rows and stepped caps lock, The most useful common boards are US G80-8*** series models which do have 1.25 mods and fulltouch caps lock but then only have relegendable function and nav keys typically... so currently in general you have to buy at least 2 sets to outfit your average standard layout 87/88/104/105 keyboard in full doubleshots from existing Cherry boards and you still don't get a spacebar that works without a stem mod. Anything asides from US layout seem to be quite challenging to find. I've only seen other layouts like IT, ES and DE a couple of times.

tlt

20 Feb 2014, 17:35

Sounds like 1.5u is motivated as there seems to be interest in them.

I think this kind of GB would be good for the community.

blighty

20 Feb 2014, 20:09

In case anyone wants to know, the G81-1800HQAUS has 1.5/1.5/7/1.5/1.5 keys. I got mine off of taobao. One day, the keys will live on a MX-mini (if/when the pcb I ordered ever ships... LOL).

Daniel

20 Feb 2014, 20:17

I'd definitely be interested in the white on black moogle kits.

Halvar

20 Feb 2014, 20:56

Interested too!

Josh

20 Feb 2014, 22:19

Why not do the whole set

damorgue

20 Feb 2014, 22:50

blighty wrote:In case anyone wants to know, the G81-1800HQAUS has 1.5/1.5/7/1.5/1.5 keys. I got mine off of taobao. One day, the keys will live on a MX-mini (if/when the pcb I ordered ever ships... LOL).
Are they center-stemmed?

blighty

21 Feb 2014, 00:46

damorgue wrote:
blighty wrote:In case anyone wants to know, the G81-1800HQAUS has 1.5/1.5/7/1.5/1.5 keys. I got mine off of taobao. One day, the keys will live on a MX-mini (if/when the pcb I ordered ever ships... LOL).
Are they center-stemmed?
They are doubleshot center-stemmed 1.5u "control" and "alt" keys. The 7u spacebar works with MX setups too. I think I paid around $90 USD shipped (taobao to proxy to me in NY/USA).

Medowy

21 Feb 2014, 11:17

Interested!

tinnie

21 Feb 2014, 11:39

Josh wrote:Why not do the whole set
wow
such idea
much moq
so best

P.S. I will organise a moggle kit gb in 60 days. Stay tuned.

tlt

21 Feb 2014, 11:50

A GB like what we are discussing here ?

Windows 8 symbols look cleaner those should be used.

Return to “Group buys”