The Granite aftermarket thread

Muirium
µ

29 Sep 2015, 16:48

zslane wrote: This is the last Granite keycap that I am looking to buy:

I also have a full set of RGB Text mods available for trades.
You're right, I do of course have that key. Here it is playing Return on an MX impersonating Monterey K110:

Assuming you're still looking for it, tell me about these RGB text mods. I've got ANSI 2.25u Return, 2.25u Shift and 2.75u Shift. And I've even got ISO Return in blue. But I don't have 1.25u green ISO Shift, and I'm guessing it's a bit of a longshot that you would too!

I'm selling some DSA caps to someone at the moment and since I can't use that blue text ISO Return as it is now, I'm thinking of letting him have it. But he'd be stuck with the same problem of the missing ISO Shift.

scottc

29 Sep 2015, 16:57

I've got a granite ISO left shift and am painfully lacking in a PBT ISO Return...

Muirium
µ

29 Sep 2015, 17:32

What exactly have you got in mind? I might not be able to spare anything specific, but let's see…

scottc

29 Sep 2015, 17:41

Quite the opposite! I do occasionally like to indulge in ISO keyboards.

Muirium
µ

29 Sep 2015, 17:43

I've got 3 ISO Returns in Granite. One's soon to go to Plasmodium along with my Dolch set (ANSI only so he needs some extras), and the other two are blue and grey icon mods, which are probably both keepers for me!

Like you, I only indulge in ISO. But I keep on winding up with ISO boards! The IBMs I can adapt, but this MX stuff…

Khers

29 Sep 2015, 19:58

I may be able to sort you out, Scott. I seem to remember having ordered some ISO returns before turning all ANSI. PM if interested and I'll dig though my stuff.

Muirium
µ

01 Oct 2015, 13:57

Getting there!

http://deskthority.net/photos-f62/rando ... ml#p256544

Anyone with a spare Granite numpad they'd like to sell? Longshot, I know…

Plasmodium

01 Oct 2015, 16:43

What is the profile of the existing numpad keys? Is it some sort of OEM profile? They seem shorter than the red DSA one in the corner (unless the red one is SA?).

Edit: Cherry OEM - I just saw your explanation in the photos thread!

Muirium
µ

01 Oct 2015, 23:35

Nope. Not Cherry OEM. Vintage Cherry sphericals, designed for use with M8 short travel switches, but 100% compatible with MX as well. Let me dig up that picture…

(Took me ages to find that! Google Images > Geekhack > Imgur. Yet it has our logo on it? Is it in the wiki? I'd like the M8 page to include it.)

Robin at Cherry UK was clearing the cupboards and had a sellout of their old spares. I proxied them (and a bunch of other stuff) for 7bit:

Only one set was complete! My numpad misses a 5, as well as those double sized keys. They're damn nice caps, but the only way I'll finish the keyboard is with a Granite numpad set. Or a chop!

zslane

02 Oct 2015, 00:22

Numpad kits don't seem to be abundant in the FS space. I was surprised I was able to find one.

Muirium
µ

02 Oct 2015, 00:34

Ah, it's not a biggie. I only ordered a numpad kit at all in Round 5 because I was being a crazy completist, which wound up being a good idea once that G80 showed up. Generally, fullsize just is not for me.

Plasmodium

02 Oct 2015, 00:38

Ah, right...I forgot OEM was a specific profile. I just meant 'made by Cherry'. :)

zslane

02 Oct 2015, 00:48

OEM is a confusing moniker. That "Cherry OEM" profile is a lovely, if somewhat squat, spherical keycap family. Today's generic "OEM" profile is a hideous cylindrical keycap style that gets uglier every time I lay eyes upon it.

Plasmodium

02 Oct 2015, 01:00

zslane wrote: OEM is a confusing moniker. That "Cherry OEM" profile is a lovely, if somewhat squat, spherical keycap family. Today's generic "OEM" profile is a hideous cylindrical keycap style that gets uglier every time I lay eyes upon it.
My thoughts precisely. :)
Coming from outside the keyboard 'world', I am used to OEM meaning literally something (sometimes proprietary) made by a given company. In my mind I use 'DCS' to mean any cylindrical cap, which is also probably inaccurate!

Muirium
µ

02 Oct 2015, 01:02

Despite what it might mean elsewhere, whenever people say OEM caps, they mean those Ducky/Filco/CoolerMaster/whoever-else-in-Asia cylindricals. Without fail. And in fact, I've heard some folk confuse "Cherry" for those "OEM" caps in general! Cherry's own caps were all lower profile, however.

Here's an excellent photo thread of Cherry's many generations:

http://deskthority.net/photos-f62/cherr ... y-t78.html

OEM profile is actually higher than SP's DCS, which in turn is higher than Cherry's distinctive low height cylindricals. I've no idea who created OEM profile. Perhaps Costar? Someone churning out stuff in China, OEM style!

zslane

02 Oct 2015, 01:07

I'm sure Signature Plastics appreciates their DCS profile becoming the generic name for cylindricals (the Xerox of keycaps?). For the most part, DCS has a lower profile than contemporary OEM keycaps (not counting the caps typically found on cheap membrane keyboards).

t8c

07 Oct 2015, 20:59

Looking for the marked ones with blue legends 8-) Winkeys and shift keys are also cool

derpingit

08 Oct 2015, 09:08

anyone got a set of granite i could buy for a tlk kb?

Kabouik

08 Oct 2015, 11:29

t8c wrote: Image

Looking for the marked ones with blue legends 8-) Winkeys and shift keys are also cool
Can't help, but I'm looking for the "E€" from the R1 (blue legends) kit, in case you have an extra, or more probably in case you have an extra in the future after you've found someone with an International R1 kit willing to sell you the keycaps you're looking for. Maybe he would agree to sell this "E€" too. :)

nathanrosspowell

12 Oct 2015, 03:39

Just want to thank Elk and lorenzfx for letting me buy some of their keys :)

Still on the lookout for an icon ISO enter (like a lot of people, I guess). It's the last key I need for my build so I am willing to offer a chunk of change for one :)

Muirium
µ

12 Oct 2015, 03:43

Not bothered about the colour?

scottc

12 Oct 2015, 09:39

WTB:
- small spacebar kit
- Icon pro mods
- ISO enter

malaik0

12 Oct 2015, 11:16

im looking for a :

- Gamer keys

nathanrosspowell

14 Oct 2015, 02:13

Muirium wrote: Not bothered about the colour?
Nope, prefer a gray, but I would take a blue if it is available :)

nathanrosspowell

14 Oct 2015, 15:11

I would like to mention that Matt3o has said there is a Granite Round 4 planned for January 2016 on Massdrop :)

Muirium
µ

14 Oct 2015, 15:22

Oh really? Any details? I'll probably need to grab a numpad kit this time.

I'd love if there were alternate coloured mods available. Like a full set of yellows or orange. Or sweet, sweet blue.

Speaking of which: I do have ISO Return in bo those colours. But… but…

Plasmodium

14 Oct 2015, 15:27

gogusrl

13 Nov 2015, 22:52

Need modifiers for these beauties :

halp

zslane

13 Nov 2015, 22:59

I might be able to help with a bunch of those, gogusri.

Which keys specifically are you looking to change over to Granite?

What size are the Shift keys and the Control key? They all look like 2u to me, but we want to be certain.

gogusrl

13 Nov 2015, 23:01

All 3 big keys are 2x. I need the full contour of the keyboard (full bottom row, shift, caps, tab, shift,enter, backspace). I can work with both ISO and ANSI.

This mod pack would cover everything (beside spacebar) http://pimpmykeyboard.com/dsa-think-dif ... eycap-set/ but it's out of stock.

Return to “Group buys”