Face U/MX-mini U replica, acrylic/alu plate, KEEP ORDERING

chzel

14 Jul 2014, 17:55

Btw is sprit1 the designer of the board (I believe BeastMask designed FaceU)?
Also since this is a modified board (ISO support) does copyright apply?
If I was to design a 60% PCB with ANSI+ISO+WinKey+WinKeyless+whatever with ATmega32 with pokerII mount compatibility,
would I have Sprit1, KBC, KBT, Vortex, the GH60 team and every other person that has designed a 60% pcb, on my back
claiming copyright because there is a lot of similarity except a few traces (since the switches are in std positions)??

If there is indeed an issue with the DESIGNERS of the board, this GB should stop, else go on full throttle!

maxrunner

14 Jul 2014, 21:32

So no new news?

Muirium
µ

14 Jul 2014, 22:06

Weigh the anchor!

quantalume

14 Jul 2014, 22:34

DanielT wrote: And the first post to be like that ? I think there are better ways to settle such things. This is a gentlemen club :)
Precisely. Gentlemen settle their disputes honorably. Who has the pistols? :lol:

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

14 Jul 2014, 22:46

I think there is a bit of misconception regarding the "piracy" issue of the PCBs. The part that is supposedly pirated is the actual PCB design meaning traces, choice of components, placement of said components and the actual work of putting it all together. The form factor (60%, 75%, TKL or whatever) along with the layout and placement of the switches (winkey, winkeyless, short right shift etc.) has nothing to do with it. It's actually a lot of work designing the actual hardware (PCB) and not the layout of switch placements.

sprit1

14 Jul 2014, 23:05

Just putting common parts, looks similar, seems identical?
If the supports may cut for the pirated unproven Taobao PCBs?
Making a dead-copy, and calling it a Replica, The Taobao Seller will help us?
MX-mini was a sole creation years ago.
Last edited by sprit1 on 14 Jul 2014, 23:39, edited 2 times in total.

chzel

14 Jul 2014, 23:35

I am not sure I understand you Sprit.

scottc

14 Jul 2014, 23:38

Neither do I.

Dubsgalore

15 Jul 2014, 00:34

:lol: :lol:
Last edited by Dubsgalore on 15 Jul 2014, 01:00, edited 4 times in total.

chzel

15 Jul 2014, 00:36

Sprit, is ps2avru open source or not???
Are you the designer of FaceU and/or MXmini?

"Just putting common parts, looks similar, seems identical?"
Spoiler:
Let's have an example of a 60% board.
You place your switches in their std locations in every permutation you want (ansi iso wkl wk etc)
where do you place the controller? - where there is space(bar) ;) .
what controller? - ATmega32 seems to be the de facto standard.
what model? - what works with your firmware.
what components? - I will go out on a limb and say "datasheet implementation" (not too many parts though,1n4148s', an xtal or osc, couple of decoupling caps, couple of resistors...want backlight? throw a mosfet or two in the mix.)
what remains? traces and firmware.
traces are not that hard...such a layout on a double sided pcb is almost fully autoroutable...
see??? I designed a board with common parts, looking similar enough...and if I was lucky enough I could make it almost IDENTICAL to yours without ever copying it.
Firmware...that's where the magic happens.
Piracy -might- be considered wrong...but in this case it seems to me that you are more interested in protecting your GB over at GH, rather than copyright and whatnot.
Especially considering your sudden interest in DT and that half your posts are on this thread, and the other half is to promote your spring GB.
If this GB falls through, I will probably get a pcb from TaoBao just for ethical reasons. :evilgeek:
Just my point of view.

scottc

15 Jul 2014, 00:40

chzel wrote: Piracy -might- be considered wrong...but in this case it seems to me that you are more interested in protecting your GB over at GH, rather than copyright and whatnot.
Especially considering your sudden interest in DT and that half your posts are on this thread, and the other half is to promote your spring GB.
:mrgreen:
chzel wrote: If this GB falls through, I will probably get a pcb from TaoBao just for ethical reasons. :evilgeek:
Just my point of view.
Same here! I hope that tinnie doesn't have to cancel this, though. I think that the plates are all done...

chzel

15 Jul 2014, 00:51

I don't see a problem with the plates!
Unless someone has copyrighted the cutouts! :idea:

scottc

15 Jul 2014, 00:58

Yeah, but it will be a pain for tinnie if some people don't want a plate without a PCB...

Zentaaa

15 Jul 2014, 01:05

chzel wrote:Sprit, is ps2avru open source or not???
Are you the designer of FaceU and/or MXmini?

"Just putting common parts, looks similar, seems identical?"
Spoiler:
Let's have an example of a 60% board.
You place your switches in their std locations in every permutation you want (ansi iso wkl wk etc)
where do you place the controller? - where there is space(bar) ;) .
what controller? - ATmega32 seems to be the de facto standard.
what model? - what works with your firmware.
what components? - I will go out on a limb and say "datasheet implementation" (not too many parts though,1n4148s', an xtal or osc, couple of decoupling caps, couple of resistors...want backlight? throw a mosfet or two in the mix.)
what remains? traces and firmware.
traces are not that hard...such a layout on a double sided pcb is almost fully autoroutable...
see??? I designed a board with common parts, looking similar enough...and if I was lucky enough I could make it almost IDENTICAL to yours without ever copying it.
Firmware...that's where the magic happens.
Piracy -might- be considered wrong...but in this case it seems to me that you are more interested in protecting your GB over at GH, rather than copyright and whatnot.
If this GB falls through, I will probably get a pcb from TaoBao just for ethical reasons. :evilgeek:
Just my point of view.
Just wondering how will you get a pcb from taobao i cant read chinese xD

sprit1

15 Jul 2014, 03:21

OK! Guys, Let's get to the Point! - The Concept of Metal, Water, SiO2 is Not Private.

- This PCB calls 'FaceU Replica' : a dead-copy Taobao Piracy stuff
- This PCB is pirating "The Open source Hardware' Agreement and it's Logo
- It's prirating All the efforts, Ideas, and Achievements of the GH and DT members http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=50580.0
- No guarantee on necessary supports for the People by the Taobao seller.

(Added)
- The part of the Firmware is open-source based, but not all the Softwares.
- And this has been declared from the begining.
This is for the community members who are willing to work together to share the benefits, Not for the dead-copy Pirates.
Last edited by sprit1 on 15 Jul 2014, 09:30, edited 5 times in total.

maxrunner

15 Jul 2014, 03:41

Will you sell these at dt with good prices?

spopepro

15 Jul 2014, 04:23

I come from the audio world where people like Nelson Pass will nearly tell you how to build what he sells... So much of this seems silly.

But.

Using the FaceU and MX-Mini names is surely a mistake. Call it something else, say it's like or inspired by one of those designs and you're ok. Putting the name on there without permission seems to imply an attempt to piggy back on a brand. The use of the open hardware logo is more problematic. If that's true, then surely someone can point me towards the gerber files so I can review them. If so, then all is fair. If not... that's a real serious problem, and it's probably refund time unless changes are made.

Findecanor

15 Jul 2014, 08:44

But these aren't just inspired, are they, they are direct copies of the circuit design?

Anyway.... Red Scarf II > Face U. If that GB just could get going... ;)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

15 Jul 2014, 08:48

no they are not actually copies.

anyway I talked with Tinnie on IRC and he has some good news. so everybody calms down :)

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

15 Jul 2014, 09:06

I'm calm :D

tinnie

15 Jul 2014, 09:40

Talked to the original creator(showjean/winkeyless.kr). Paid a fee and he's cool with that now. I'll show the proof on request.
Last edited by tinnie on 15 Jul 2014, 09:46, edited 1 time in total.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

15 Jul 2014, 09:45

tinnie let me know if you need some funds to cover the fees. I must say that tinnie managed this like a sir.

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

15 Jul 2014, 09:57

Yes Tinnie, if you need funds to cover the fees I'm in, just have to say the word :) As one of the first to jump on this boat I'm more than happy do to this!

Medowy

15 Jul 2014, 10:07

macmakkara

15 Jul 2014, 10:45

DanielT wrote: Yes Tinnie, if you need funds to cover the fees I'm in, just have to say the word :) As one of the first to jump on this boat I'm more than happy do to this!
Echo

sprit1

15 Jul 2014, 14:38

tinnie wrote: Talked to the original creator(showjean/winkeyless.kr). Paid a fee and he's cool with that now. I'll show the proof on request.
So, at last All the Pirates acknowledge and trying to solve this? Would You please show the results for us? :
- This PCB calls 'FaceU, MX-mini Replica' : a dead-copy Taobao Piracy stuff without any previous agreement

How about these issue? :
- This PCB is pirating "The Open source Hardware' Agreement and it's Logo
- It's prirating All the efforts, Ideas, and Achievements of the GH and DT members http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=50580.0
- No guarantee on necessary supports for the People by the Taobao seller.
- It will Never be tolerated pirating W versions of PCBs.

Do The Pirates admit this?
(Added)
- The part of the Firmware is open-source based, but not all the Softwares.
- And this has been declared from the begining.
This is for the community members who are willing to work together to share the benefits, Not for the dead-copy Pirates.

Medowy

15 Jul 2014, 14:59

Just because this group buy is doing better than your services that doesn't mean you have to come here and accuse tinnie (or someone else) of pirating.

Issue has been resolved (atleast for my knowledge)
Last edited by Medowy on 15 Jul 2014, 15:06, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

15 Jul 2014, 15:01

Next time: slap a CLOSED SOURCE logo on it, for clarity.

Last edited by Muirium on 15 Jul 2014, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.

tinnie

15 Jul 2014, 15:01

Here's the proof.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (57.41 KiB) Viewed 5333 times

scottc

15 Jul 2014, 15:02

Gentleman as always, tinnie. ;)

Return to “Group buys”