<SPRiT Edition>MX Springs +LSS Lube Station +MX Stabilizers (In stock)

Stabilized

27 Dec 2014, 10:51

DanielT wrote: Compared the gold plated springs with non plated springs and there is a difference.
Hmm, I have heard people talking about the advantages of gold plated; now I am almost considering buying one set plated and one not to see the difference.
What about the plating would change the way the spring acted?

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

27 Dec 2014, 13:10

In my opinion the plating makes the spring more firm and yet soft.

Muirium
µ

27 Dec 2014, 13:13

Might have a noticeable effect on the friction. Most of a spring doesn't need to worry about that, but the ends where it makes contact with the switch shell and slider could be what you're feeling.

I'd be more negative about it if my spring order wasn't for a gold plated set! (They were the only ones in stock at the time.) I've vintage blacks here which are turning into nice light vintage reds!

DanielT

27 Dec 2014, 15:56

@Muirium:You will get in the package also a sample of normal springs 50g and 55g so you can compare ;) I have more than I will ever be able to use.
I like the gold ones more, and maybe with little lube it would make the switch even softer. But I have to get some lube first.

Stabilized

27 Dec 2014, 17:45

So what lube do you use, and do you use stickers at all?

I am really interested in trying to modify some ergo-clears/ergo-whites.

DanielT

27 Dec 2014, 18:16

Don't have a clue about lube. I have to buy some amd test.
Stickers, well I have tested and for me it's too much work for nothing. But I recommend to test it yourself and decide ;)
If you want I have some stickers I don't need, used only 2 from that sheet of ~120
Last edited by DanielT on 27 Dec 2014, 18:19, edited 1 time in total.

Stabilized

27 Dec 2014, 18:18

Whoops didn't see that comment about lube in the post above.

Thanks for the input though! Finding it hard to find a reasonably priced source of key lube in the EU.

BlueBär

27 Dec 2014, 18:20

Stabilized

27 Dec 2014, 18:25

Thanks, I will invest in some thick when it comes back into stock.

sprit1

28 Dec 2014, 01:01

andrewjoy wrote: on new vs used has anyone noticed that reds get much smoother with use ? i am guessing nowhere near vintage backs but for example my WASD keys get way more use than Pause Break and they are nowhere near as scratchy as the pause key
something to think about do liner cherry get better with age ? I think possibly they do even if the plastics for the older keys are smoother to begin with.
still feel like sandpaper vs beamspring
Hello! andrewjoy ! :)
Totally Agree! New Switches are quite rough generally as we seen, aging possibly makes the plastic surfaces smoother to a certain amount.
But heavy usage also makes the plastic surfaces damaged as we see among used boards in bad conditions, IMO.

sprit1

28 Dec 2014, 01:09

If somebody wants each 1set of 55g & 60g (= total 2 sets) together, Please tell me.

sprit1

28 Dec 2014, 01:15

scottc wrote: Yeah, there were about 97 pieces in my 62g set too. :cry:
Apology!!! scottc !
I have changed the plastic bags to smaller ones in R3, Bigger bags might cause Accuracy Errors when I weigh them on a micro scale.
I will add 2-3 more spring pieces to the R2 Bags before shipping from Now on!!
Attachments
R3 Smaller Bag 1228.jpg
R3 Smaller Bag 1228.jpg (1000.64 KiB) Viewed 5514 times

sprit1

28 Dec 2014, 01:53

Attachments
Krytox Spec 1.JPG
Krytox Spec 1.JPG (209.13 KiB) Viewed 5441 times
-  Krytox 103, 104 .jpg
- Krytox 103, 104 .jpg (443.64 KiB) Viewed 5503 times
Last edited by sprit1 on 29 Dec 2014, 02:13, edited 1 time in total.

Stabilized

28 Dec 2014, 19:14

I am sorry, I am unsure if you're recommending this lube or selling it.
If you are how much and could you put some on my order?

BlueBär

28 Dec 2014, 19:20

The lube I linked is also a Krytox mixture.

scottc

28 Dec 2014, 19:26

sprit1 wrote:
scottc wrote: Yeah, there were about 97 pieces in my 62g set too. :cry:
Apology!!! scottc !
I have changed the plastic bags to smaller ones in R3, Bigger bags might cause Accuracy Errors when I weigh them on a micro scale.
I will add 2-3 more spring pieces to the R2 Bags before shipping from Now on!!
Don't worry about it. I just used stock MX black springs on the spacebar and some numpad keys that I don't use often. :)

Khers

28 Dec 2014, 19:36

55g R3 already out of stock!? :o

Stabilized

29 Dec 2014, 00:51

BlueBär wrote: The lube I linked is also a Krytox mixture.
I noticed, but I would rather buy one with my spring order to cut down on shipping if I can.

DanielT

30 Dec 2014, 11:31

Just some feedback for the springs. I have been typing for a week on 50g MX Blacks, the feeling is amazing. The keys feel light and soft, and that is without any lubing. The switches feel much lighter than the MX Reds, with a nice bottom out sound, the feeling is close to my HHKB without the rubber cup feedback. I'm really pleased with the feeling. Next on the list are the 55g springs also with the MX Black combo.
I plan to test also some lubing when I get my hands on some.
Compared to other 50g Korean springs the gold plated ones feel nicer and lighter, I sold for these :P I'm glad I bought enough to cover all my boards and still have some for future build if it will be the case.
So go ahead and order while you still have the chance ;)

Stabilized

01 Jan 2015, 10:46

Sounds really good, looking forward to getting mine :D

Did you use vintage blacks? I have heard that it is something to do with the plastics that are used in them that makes them feel different; although I think Cherry denied this.

BlueBär

01 Jan 2015, 13:02

It's unknown why, but vintage blacks are smoother than new blacks. Reason could be different plastics or molds. Usage is probably a factor as well, but even NIB vintage blacks are smoother.

andrewjoy

01 Jan 2015, 13:32

they dont have to be true vintage backs ( lighter spring ) to be smooth , with blacks i find the older the better even old blacks that are not vintage are better than modern blacks and reds

Khers

01 Jan 2015, 13:38

Just out of curiosity; how do you distinguish vintage blacks from mere old ones? And when does a black switch become an old one rather than a new one?

Stabilized

01 Jan 2015, 13:51

This is a image post from GH about the identification:
With row 1 being new blacks, and row 2 & 3 being vintage.
Here's the thread:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38921.0

Just reading about them and even with lubing modern black/red switches, they apparently don't give you the same 'smooth' feeling like the old ones (described by quite a few as being like 'butter')

Muirium
µ

01 Jan 2015, 13:54

Nixdorfs are butter smooth. Vintage blacks aren't, but they are what MX blacks should be. Moderns are shite, like reds.

Of course, I find it's only noticeable when I look for it. But I'm glad I have a good supply of vintage blacks to go with Daniel's 50g springs. And one Nixie to compare them with.

Khers

01 Jan 2015, 14:00

Basically, the best way of identifying a vintage black switch then is to look for chamfered edges? Forgive me my ignorance, but say that I would like to try a vintage black keyboard, what is my best bet?

Muirium
µ

01 Jan 2015, 14:14

I just go by the logo style, and feel of course. (I don't understand everything going on in that photo. Needs a legend and much better lighting!) Moderns don't slide as cleanly, like there's gunk inside.

No idea which keyboards come with them specifically, other than simply age!

Stabilized

01 Jan 2015, 14:25

Yeah the picture isn't great, but it was all that I could find; it would be great if there were a good guide to all the types of old blacks that are classified as 'vintage'.

@Muirium: Where did you get your vintage blacks from? Got any spare?

DanielT

01 Jan 2015, 14:26

Best boards to harvest vintage blacks are old Wyse boards, any board manufactured before 1994 ha vintage blacks.
Also with vintage blaks there are variations, older like 84-89 and "newer" 90-94.
I tested all types also compared the housings and sliders and logos. The vintage black housing has a smooth finish inside, there are a lot of small details.
Also old blacks are nice, not at smooth as vintage ones but still nice, all my board are built with those and they feel nice, and with some lube I think they will feel even better.
I have also some vintage blacks that I will use for a next board.

Now the famous Nixies, in my oppinion those switches are overated, they are as smooth as any vintage black switch, I have a few and was able to test, aside the cool clear top there is nothing impressing about them. Just like any vintage black switch, nothing more nothing less. But still there is the coolness factor in them :P

Stabilized

01 Jan 2015, 14:30

Right, so time to scour eBay?

Return to “Group buys”