GMK 85|15 groupbuy CANCELLED

HzFaq

08 Dec 2014, 12:10

IvanIvanovich wrote: The layout is 'bitshift' same as on the very first MX model in the picture :D It harkens back to the days before nationalized keyboard layouts became more commonplace on many consumer level home computers in the early '80s. You've probably seen it before on some of the really old boards.
This is the reason for the vintage legends. It also nicely sidesteps the ANSI/ISO argument :D.

Muirium
µ

08 Dec 2014, 12:32

Ah, I see now. So similar to ANSI-US for the most part, but then you look at the right hand side, where ; lives with + etc.

I could live with that! In fact I pretty much already do with some of the IBM caps I use, instead of modern Unicomp ones. Helps that the only keys I ever look down at are the number row and its shifted symbols. I know "where" they are, but I'm all too often not sure of my alignment, as they're just far enough away from home row and don't have the function row's smart boundaries.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

08 Dec 2014, 12:34

What about spacebar random color? I don't understand:
one each 6.25 and 7 units in a random color

Nuum

08 Dec 2014, 12:46

When Ivan did the purple modifiers GB, he had that option also. Basically GMK made spacebars of random colors they had currently in stock. There were some pretty interesting colors, I myself own a orange 7u and a green 6.25u spacebar (bought later, not from the GB), but there were also pink, cyan, black and white ones. See it as kind of a surprise bag for spacebars.

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

08 Dec 2014, 13:01

On GH thread is better explained the space bar stuff. GMK has leftover plastic, from those leftovers they will produce space bars. One thing is for sure, the colors will not be the same as the last time, GMK will produce space bars from the leftover materials, we will know which colors will be available only after they are produced, it could any of the colors available from GMK (except what was produced the last time). Based on what is available Ivan distributes the space bars, first color than the next one and so on. The space bars don't have a MOQ.

Now on the layout, for me it's close to impossible to type if I don't have the legends, especially on the shifted symbols, it's a problem I have :( All my boards have the exact same layout, it makes my life bearable :(

vsev

08 Dec 2014, 16:43

I promissed myself not to spend a cent anymore this year on caps till I saw this color pack...
Shame on you Ivan !

IvanIvanovich

08 Dec 2014, 17:56

You can keep you promise to yourself. This buy won't collect payment until 2015. :p

HzFaq

08 Dec 2014, 17:59

I keep promising not to spend money on caps, even convincing myself that I was only getting a Dolch set to help hit the MOQ and would sell it afterwards and yet here I am with a Dolch set I'll never use, balls deep in yet another GMK group buy :D.

scottc

22 Dec 2014, 17:28

I'm sure you could find someone to take the Dolch set off of your hands :evilgeek:

Mr.Bean

22 Dec 2014, 19:22

scottc wrote: I'm sure you could find someone to take the Dolch set off of your hands :evilgeek:
I would

IvanIvanovich

28 Dec 2014, 04:17

Deadline extended. I hope it allow more people to recover from holidays so can participate.

Madhias
BS TORPE

29 Dec 2014, 15:22

I thought like now that's a GMK set i will buy, because of the lovely color theme and i'm in for a set, but unfortunately the numbers don't look very good! I think some people are waiting for more fancy colors like Miami or similar, but this color theme seems to be too boring for a lot of people. But it is the most classy of all!
Spoiler:

Muirium
µ

29 Dec 2014, 15:26

Yeah, it's a nice set, with good options. But once again I'm all spent and can't swing it.

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

29 Dec 2014, 15:45

Yep with the upcoming GMK Hyperfuse and the Holidays season and all of that the numbers don't look good. It's a shame. I'm broke, also have more caps than boards and don't plan on buying more for now :(
But I think after the 5th of January thing will start to move as people will be back from the Holidays.

One thing is for sure, I will take at least some spacebars, for me these are like novelty caps :) I have collected all the crazy colors from the previous GB and it's so much fun to swap them on the board, a big ass spot of color.

IvanIvanovich

29 Dec 2014, 17:02

I would have thought European guys would like the numrow. It is very much closer to many ISO layouts than US ANSI.

IvanIvanovich

11 Jan 2015, 20:46

We need more orders for sets!

BlueBär

11 Jan 2015, 22:00

You still need more than twice as many orders to get anything but the spacebars above the MOQ and you have 4 days to do that, do I read this right?

IvanIvanovich

12 Jan 2015, 16:38

Yes... which is really too bad. I thought people needed the mods pack, and that it would interest people to be able to get a bunch of stuff that hasn't been produced since the mid 80's in the full set... but I guess not.

BlueBär

13 Jan 2015, 01:59

A real shame, it's a nice set. I'm a especially sad the color pack didn't make it.

IvanIvanovich

13 Jan 2015, 17:40

My big question is was this just too close to the holidays and people just can't afford it right now? Would extending the deadline do any good?

pasph

13 Jan 2015, 20:31

You know the answer
Base set: a plain and simple 108 Ansi winkey set
Mod set: winkey bottom row + tsangan kit + 4 ISO Keys

sad but true

tlt

13 Jan 2015, 20:49

I find it hardest to get hold of GMK:
* win keys (don't have to be windows logo on them)
* space bars in standard colors e.g black
* center stemed Caps lock (of all colors and legends)
So it would be nice to have those a future mod pack.

IvanIvanovich

13 Jan 2015, 21:37

OK... so I will be extending the deadline and I put in a request for revision and reprice. Stand by.

IvanIvanovich

15 Jan 2015, 17:03

I'm also going to see what kind of damage adding the keys to support Danish, German, Norwegian and Swedish does to the price on the full set... it's not that many extra keys... especially taking advantage of using side pad printing for 'minor' differences. This will be on top of bitshift, US and GB keys... I will be replacing the B profile duplicates, and some of the extra blanks and etc in order to do all this. In theory the price should stay fairly close to what it is now.

IvanIvanovich

23 Jan 2015, 21:22

Forgive the terrible looks of this, I did this pretty hastily... but you get the idea. Of course all the legends will be Cherry doubleshots and the same color as all the rest. I'm mostly interested in seeing what you think of this layout wise. I already posted it at GH and the reaction has been fairly negative so far...
unnamed.png
unnamed.png (783.67 KiB) Viewed 4567 times
This adds support for several languages including US, GB, Danish, German, Norwegian and Swedish/Finnish. For arguments sake lets just say it will cost the same price as what is currently in the OP.

IvanIvanovich

24 Jan 2015, 02:24

Or... how about the trimmed down version? Best guess is it should be somewhere around €10-15 cheaper than what's in the OP.
This would be my preference otherwise and will be my last attempt to save this buy.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

24 Jan 2015, 11:22

I'd rather take the trimmed version. And I'd rather take a potential 60% version with just the damn 1.75u shift!

Nuum

24 Jan 2015, 11:27

I liked the version with the different language options more, you can clearly see from the Geekhack comments that they are very US-centric, barely any appreciation for foreign layouts. It's a shame that the extended set got so much negative feedback.

honoka

02 Feb 2015, 18:03

Yup, I've said it in the GH thread aswell, but if the support for other languages does not raise the price, it's a done deal.
The trimmed down version is good aswell.

IvanIvanovich

04 Feb 2015, 19:41

Will most likely be going with the lighter version. I'm still waiting for them to get back to me on pricing for those changes.
One of these days I hope we can manage to push through some additional language support.

Return to “Group buys”