Foldable Mech Keyboard for Sign Up for GB [Update:20181205]

John08099

21 Nov 2018, 10:47

Hi Guys,

We are planing to launch a foldable mech board, but it's really risky for us to decide the MOQ so I would love to see how many of you will be interested.
Basics:
-Low profile keys, 68 keys
-Blue Tooth,Type-c connection
-White Backlit
-Aluminium plate
-Stand is built into the top of the case
-Weight: Cherry one- 485g, Chinese switch one- 510g

-Options:
1. QMK, Low Profile Cherry(linear) switch ( GB time TBD, depends on signups, over $150)
2. QMK, Low Profile Chinese switch(clicky) (GB time TBD, depends on signups, over $110 )
3. Non QMK, Low Profile Cherry(linear) switch (estimated GB time: Late Dec. 2018, delivery time: early Feb. 2019, $100+ )
4. Non QMK, Low Profile Chinese switch(clicky) (estimated GB time: Late Dec. 2018, delivery time: early Feb. 2019, $100+- )

If you are interested in GB. You can sign up at this google form:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... A/viewform

Edit (20181205):
1. We are very likely to run a GB for the NON QMK ones in late December. Estimated delivery time is early February. Since we have our manufacturer developing the non QMK one already. Price should be less than 100 USD. I will update a video once I have a newest prototype ( like middle of Dec.) If you want a foldable Mech Board sooner, please sign up for the Non QMK one.
2. We will keep collecting signups for QMK ones since we only have tens of sign ups. GB date TBD.

If you have questions, please feel free to ask. Thank you!
Attachments
lenght.png
lenght.png (333.37 KiB) Viewed 7493 times
with surface.jpg
with surface.jpg (65.17 KiB) Viewed 7494 times
with iphone.png
with iphone.png (658.11 KiB) Viewed 7494 times
package1.jpg
package1.jpg (35.52 KiB) Viewed 7494 times
hight.jpg
hight.jpg (82.96 KiB) Viewed 7494 times
Fodable Merch Board.jpg
Fodable Merch Board.jpg (81.17 KiB) Viewed 7683 times
Last edited by John08099 on 05 Dec 2018, 11:13, edited 8 times in total.

Menuhin

21 Nov 2018, 11:23

It's good to see a low-profile clicky build - it's competitors will be those portable keyboards such as 40%, 30%, 60% 65% etc, right?
But what is the advantage of being foldable? To become "smaller" but kind of thick anyway during transportation?
Will it be unfolded to have a TKL, or 104, or 1800 layout to fully make use of its foldable capability?

Everyone's guess would be Kailh low-profile switches and made and assembled in China to meet the $100 price. Can the side profile of the case bezel be a bit higher, so that the sides of the switches are not exposed like that?

Anakey

21 Nov 2018, 11:41

i would be very worried about the exposed keys if this is offered without some sort of pouch or sleeve to contain it given that a compact keyboard like this would be built to be transportable e.g. shoved in a backpack where the keys on the edges could sheer off if put under stress and also the ribbon cable that would connect the two halves together could get damaged being exposed when folded. It would be nice to also possibly include spare hinges as those could also be a weak point if made from plastic as appears on the photo assuming that it would be easy to replace assuming all one would need to do is to remove the screws around the edge of the case.

Findecanor

21 Nov 2018, 13:52

I agree with previous posters in that I think a foldable keyboard should fold the keys inwards to protect the keys, not outwards. Most keyboards I've seen that do that also have raised edges so that they close up around the keys when the keyboard is folded.

John08099

22 Nov 2018, 03:55

Anakey wrote: i would be very worried about the exposed keys if this is offered without some sort of pouch or sleeve to contain it given that a compact keyboard like this would be built to be transportable e.g. shoved in a backpack where the keys on the edges could sheer off if put under stress and also the ribbon cable that would connect the two halves together could get damaged being exposed when folded. It would be nice to also possibly include spare hinges as those could also be a weak point if made from plastic as appears on the photo assuming that it would be easy to replace assuming all one would need to do is to remove the screws around the edge of the case.
Yes, there will be a sleeve, check the updated image :)

John08099

22 Nov 2018, 04:06

Menuhin wrote: It's good to see a low-profile clicky build - it's competitors will be those portable keyboards such as 40%, 30%, 60% 65% etc, right?
But what is the advantage of being foldable? To become "smaller" but kind of thick anyway during transportation?
Will it be unfolded to have a TKL, or 104, or 1800 layout to fully make use of its foldable capability?

Everyone's guess would be Kailh low-profile switches and made and assembled in China to meet the $100 price. Can the side profile of the case bezel be a bit higher, so that the sides of the switches are not exposed like that?

Hmm, you raise very good questions. The board is 68 keys now, and we give it a sleeve to make it more convenient to carry. It's only 3*30 cm. Still more portable than normal 40%, 30%, 60% 65% etc.

If we make the side profile of the case bezel be a bit higher, the board will be thicker, so don't think will be a good idea.

Anakey

22 Nov 2018, 12:09

its actually 3.5 cm if you measure to the top of the keycap which would be the thickest point when the keyboard is folded. I do like the concept however i am still worried about the fragility of the exposed keys, even with the sleeve i can see there being sheared off switches if used for example by a college student for a term in their backpack along with all the books etc. Also having to get it in and out of a sleeve every time it is used it would more likely be discarded for a clam shell style semi rigid case anyway just because of the convenience and extra protection it would give.

Gouty

22 Nov 2018, 21:59

I really like that, It reminds me of my logitech k810 which I bought for £30 instead of getting a £100 crap type cover for my Surface Pro 2 and it was one of the best decisions I've made. If only this mechanical one was ISO!

abrahamstechnology

23 Nov 2018, 01:55

Are the Cherry switches ML or the new low profile MX?

John08099

23 Nov 2018, 02:59

Anakey wrote: its actually 3.5 cm if you measure to the top of the keycap which would be the thickest point when the keyboard is folded. I do like the concept however i am still worried about the fragility of the exposed keys, even with the sleeve i can see there being sheared off switches if used for example by a college student for a term in their backpack along with all the books etc. Also having to get it in and out of a sleeve every time it is used it would more likely be discarded for a clam shell style semi rigid case anyway just because of the convenience and extra protection it would give.
Yes, we can surely consider the shell!! You can sign up for our official update :)

John08099

23 Nov 2018, 03:00

Gouty wrote: I really like that, It reminds me of my logitech k810 which I bought for £30 instead of getting a £100 crap type cover for my Surface Pro 2 and it was one of the best decisions I've made. If only this mechanical one was ISO!
ISO?

John08099

23 Nov 2018, 03:00

abrahamstechnology wrote: Are the Cherry switches ML or the new low profile MX?
New low profile cherry switch.

abrahamstechnology

23 Nov 2018, 05:07

I'll take one if it has Kailh Choc Jade or Navy as an option.

Anakey

23 Nov 2018, 09:34

John08099 wrote:
Gouty wrote: I really like that, It reminds me of my logitech k810 which I bought for £30 instead of getting a £100 crap type cover for my Surface Pro 2 and it was one of the best decisions I've made. If only this mechanical one was ISO!
ISO?
wiki/ANSI_vs_ISO

However in its current state the ISO enter would not work due to where the fold line is as it would cut the ISO Enter key in half.

scottc

23 Nov 2018, 12:21

Looks great, but a bit expensive.

John08099

26 Nov 2018, 06:44

abrahamstechnology wrote: I'll take one if it has Kailh Choc Jade or Navy as an option.
Hmm, why do you prefer Kailh Choc Jade or Navy better? There are several people mention Kailh already.

John08099

26 Nov 2018, 06:46

scottc wrote: Looks great, but a bit expensive.
Which option do you prefer, and what do you think is a reasonable price? I mean reasonable, there maybe possibility to take down the price a bit!

abrahamstechnology

26 Nov 2018, 14:48

John08099 wrote:
abrahamstechnology wrote: I'll take one if it has Kailh Choc Jade or Navy as an option.
Hmm, why do you prefer Kailh Choc Jade or Navy better? There are several people mention Kailh already.
Thicker clickbars, more tactility.

John08099

27 Nov 2018, 03:05

abrahamstechnology wrote:
John08099 wrote:
Thicker clickbars, more tactility.
Thank you for the info. I will see if we can add this and let you know!

Return to “Vendors”