The mother of keyboard controllers - Up to 384 keys

TheBug

13 Jul 2020, 16:21

KeyWarrior100 is a keyboard/mouse combo controller with a load of features.

Matrix size up to 24 x 16, 240 macros with up to 31 keycodes each, locking and sticky modifier keys, three key tables that can be selected by two FN keys, eight programmable lock-LED outputs, 2 analog and 3 PWM outputs i.e. for backlight dimming, mouse function with keys, trackball, joystick, hall sensor, force sensor etc., 16 generic I/O pins, including functions for I2C (up to 1 MHz), LCD, LED matrix.

All this is easily programmable via USB (editor tool running on Windows).

The evaluation board is now available, making it easy to use KeyWarrior100 in custom projects.

More information can be found here: https://www.codemercs.com/en/keyboard/24x16-matrix
kw100-eval_board_002.jpg
kw100-eval_board_002.jpg (344.94 KiB) Viewed 5521 times

Hak Foo

18 Jul 2020, 06:59

I like the concept of "programmable via a USB tool." I've always preferred Soarer's Controller over TMK/QMK because of the convenience of remapping.

While a lot of hobbyist keyboards seem to be 75% or smaller, there are definitely a few large-PCB projects out there, like the GH-122, Black Heart or Hyper7 that would work well with a controller this capable.

The problem as I see it is design compatibility. Most of these projects go for the Pro Micro or Teensy series of controllers, or newer clones. I suspect a big part of that is it allows the PCBs, which are already short-run and expensive, to be shipped completely unpopulated. Everything is through-hole, and if you're capable of soldering in a hundred switches/diodes/LEDs, you can handle the simple, through-hole Teensy++.

It would be a dramatic step up in complexity to use a KeyWarrior 100. The controller would either have to be added at the time of PCB manufacturing (likely expensive on short runs) or require users to do tiny, fidgety SMD soldering at home (likely to cause frustration and failures)

The evaluation board could help, but since its pinout and dimensions match nothing already on the market, the only way to use it would be to solder some adapters and find a place to mount it.

It might be interesting to see the KeyWarrior mounted on a breakout board that's designed to fit the same PCB layout as a Teensy++ or Pro Micro. It might not expose ALL possible features that way, but it would be a quicker and cleaner fit to existing designs. I wonder if some of the places that have already made "improved replacements for the Pro Micro" (like the "Proton C" and "Elite-C") would be interested in an experimental offering.

TheBug

18 Jul 2020, 16:28

The KeyWarrior100 chip would not fit onto a board with the footprint of a Teensy, the LQFP100 package is simply too big. Also you would have to drop almost all functionality, it has about 80 signals.
But all the lines for the key matrix are on the connector to the left of the eval board, it is not that hard to wire them to some existing matrix board.
And if 64 keys are sufficient we do have the KeyWarrior28, which comes as a much smaller module.
Both KeyWarriors are available as chips too, so if someone wants to make a module they are welcome.

Return to “Vendors”