[Interest Check] Silencing Rings for Topre RF or HHKB

Hypersphere

18 Apr 2015, 00:02

Nothing new to report yet. I've been away for a while, and work has been insanely busy. After the setback of discovering that the material I had hoped would work did not seem as good as the silencing rings in a silenced Realforce or a Type-S HHKB, I've put in an order for prototypes made from some different materials. These have arrived, but I have not had the time to do proper tests.

Thanks to everyone for being patient. I will let everyone know what I find after I find time to do the testing.

ironpup

18 Apr 2015, 04:32

I'm interested, but how is this different from ironed soft landing pads from elitekeyboards?

Muirium
µ

18 Apr 2015, 04:35

Different materials. And not needing to iron things that weren't intended for the task.

Hypersphere

18 Apr 2015, 14:31

Yes, well said, Mu. I am trying to get a good match to the material used in silenced RFs and Type-S HHKBs -- or possibly to find something even better. The materials I am considering are in the range of 0.10 to 0.30 mm thick consisting of a microcellular polyurethane foam layer with or without a solid backing layer.

derb2k2

04 May 2015, 04:18

Just wanted to get my vote in for these. I've tried 3 mods for my HHKBs to silence the upstroke clack to no avail. I would be down for two sets for HHkb.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

10 May 2015, 20:42

:duck:

I really need this. If you need someone to test, send me some. :roll:

amospalla
let's go

10 May 2015, 20:59

How does this silence the topre switch? Does it silence both pussing down and key release?

I have no knowledge on Topre, but if I enjoy the 002 Topre keyboard from his tour I will want to buy one and silence it.

chzel

10 May 2015, 21:06

It silences the upstroke. It fits between the slider and the housing.

Khers

10 May 2015, 21:14

What chzel says plus: the downstroke is inherently silenced on a Topre, it's a rubber dome after all ;)

amospalla
let's go

10 May 2015, 21:55

Oh that is great :D . Now I am even more interested in testing Topre.

derb2k2

14 May 2015, 02:09

how is this coming along? Any news?

saldot

18 May 2015, 13:00

After i got my NT i spent weeks looking for a suitable material to make the dampeners myself but couldn't find anything that was both thin and had good dampening properties so I gave up.

If you've found something I'm definitely interested. What is the price at per ring now that there seems to be a bigger interest and a possibility for you to place a bigger order?

Hypersphere

21 May 2015, 16:25

Update: I've been away for quite a while owing to extreme demands at work. I am hoping that job pressures will ease up a bit by the middle of June or so, but I will also have some travel in June.

Yesterday, I finally received a production run of silencing rings. As soon as I can find the time, I will install a complete set in one of my Topre-switch boards. If the results seem at least as good as genuine silenced Topre, I will post this and start taking orders until the supply runs out. If people find the rings satisfactory and if there is sufficient demand, I could have another batch produced.

I will keep everyone posted via this thread.

Muirium
µ

21 May 2015, 17:04

Good stuff. I've still a NovaTouch or two in need of these. Might even try them in the 55g Realforce.

AdamVIP

22 May 2015, 17:49

I would be interested in (2) sets for 104 boards.

ironpup

09 Jun 2015, 03:17

I'm in for a hhkb set

Ace
§

11 Jun 2015, 01:59

Muirium wrote: Good stuff. I've still a NovaTouch or two in need of these. Might even try them in the 55g Realforce.
Ok, this is a little off topic, but the mention of the NovaTouch reminded me: When are Bunny's sliders expected to come in?

lunarl0n

18 Jun 2015, 06:27

I'm down for 2 HHKB sets

colomb

30 Jun 2015, 16:50

I'm been searching for a donor board to silence my 55g Realforce for quite some time now. This would be fantastic!

I'm in for 3 sets of 87.

tootallforthis

30 Jun 2015, 16:55

I'd be in for a HHKB set, or just enough for a 23U.

colomb

14 Jul 2015, 16:59

Any updates on how that production run performed? I'm close to trying to punch out some rings for myself, but if this is imminent, I'll hold off.

Muirium
µ

14 Jul 2015, 17:30

Been imminent for a bit too long, I'd say. PM Hyper to see what he thinks.

Hypersphere

20 Jul 2015, 21:54

Update: I've replied to the PM from colomb. Work has been incredibly demanding with little sign of relief. However, I really want to get to the testing of the rings and, if positive, put them up for sale. I haven't decided yet on a mechanism, but given the scarcity of time, I might have my wife handle sales via eBay. If there is a good response and the first batch sells out, I would consider producing another batch.

Thanks to everyone for being patient and understanding.

Caeyden

20 Jul 2015, 23:25

I'm in for an HHKB set.

JanitorJoe

21 Jul 2015, 01:40

I'm interested in a HHKB set.

My current dampening for my HHKB was just made out of whatever I had laying around. So 400 denier PVC backed nylon. It works... a little bit. Wouldn't mind something better.

colomb

21 Jul 2015, 04:33

I am going to buy all of them.

colomb

21 Jul 2015, 15:18

On a more constructive note, matt3o seems to have a good relationship and experience with Massdrop. This sort of thing seems tailor made for them. It may be worthwhile to reach out and ask him how difficult this would be to set up through Massdrop.

Hypersphere

21 Jul 2015, 17:44

@colomb: Thanks for the suggestion. I could use all the help I can get. I am feeling overwhelmed at present from various external pressures, including my "day job", which tends to extend to most evenings and weekends as well.

Hypersphere

27 Jul 2015, 22:40

UPDATE:

At long last, I have found the time to complete my testing of the silencing rings. I am satisfied that they work at least as well as the rings used in the silent version of the RF 87U and the Type-S HHKB Pro 2.

With this, as I mentioned previously, my wife has made 3 separate listings on eBay for 63, 90, and 107 rings per set. These would be suitable for the HHKB Pro 2, RF87U, and RF104U, respectively (there are enough rings for each key plus 3 extra rings per set).

I have not done a complete test with the Novatouch keyboard, but I have verified that the rings fit the stems of the Topre switches used in the Novatouch.

If the silencing rings sell out and there appears to be high demand for more, I will consider producing another batch.

You can find the listings by going to eBay and searching for "silencing rings".

If you decide to purchase one or more sets, I hope that they work out as well for you as they did for me.

Caeyden

28 Jul 2015, 00:30

Hypersphere wrote: UPDATE:

At long last, I have found the time to complete my testing of the silencing rings. I am satisfied that they work at least as well as the rings used in the silent version of the RF 87U and the Type-S HHKB Pro 2.

With this, as I mentioned previously, my wife has made 3 separate listings on eBay for 63, 90, and 107 rings per set. These would be suitable for the HHKB Pro 2, RF87U, and RF104U, respectively (there are enough rings for each key plus 3 extra rings per set).

I have not done a complete test with the Novatouch keyboard, but I have verified that the rings fit the stems of the Topre switches used in the Novatouch.

If the silencing rings sell out and there appears to be high demand for more, I will consider producing another batch.

You can find the listings by going to eBay and searching for "silencing rings".

If you decide to purchase one or more sets, I hope that they work out as well for you as they did for me.
Just checked to buy some! I can only seem to find the 107 set and not the 63 set for the HHKB.

Return to “Marketplace Help”