[Interest Check] Silencing Rings for Topre RF or HHKB

the_marsbar

13 Apr 2016, 20:24

No worries, Hypersphere. I'll have to wait and see what happens though. The price is certainly fair, no doubt about that. But the import costs would mean a 2x cost for me, which I can not justify at the moment.

I'd really like a set for my black HHKB at some point though :)
Last edited by the_marsbar on 13 Apr 2016, 21:29, edited 2 times in total.

scottc

13 Apr 2016, 20:38

Getting the rings into Europe is indeed a challenge. eBay doesn't make it easy for us, unfortunately. I couldn't justify the price of the rings with shipping and customs factored in, but with Mu proxying them I paid only a very small amount over the eBay item cost in total, which is fantastic. I would've just missed out otherwise because it literally did double in price.

mrt181

04 May 2016, 15:57

Any plans to offer another batch of these?
I would like to try them on my FC660C.

Or are any still available somewhere?

Hypersphere

17 May 2016, 23:21

mrt181 wrote: Any plans to offer another batch of these?
I would like to try them on my FC660C.

Or are any still available somewhere?
They are available on eBay at hypersphere2016.

No plans for another GB for those in the UK or Europe. Muirium was able to coordinate this with his trip to California.

mrt181

18 May 2016, 00:23

OK, order placed

mrt181

13 Jun 2016, 10:07

I have successfully silenced my Leopold FC660C, what a fantastic modification. Thank you for creating these rings.

the_marsbar

13 Jun 2016, 10:28

If anyone decides to import these into Europe, I'd be up for a set with 63 rings. The 36 USD price is more than fair. I just can't justify spending another 40 USD on top of that. I don't mind paying the VAT (+ 25%). But I'm not a fan of the import fee of 25 USD which is added on top of that, to all shipments with a value greater than ~10 USD.

jantari

22 Jun 2016, 14:20

Any intel on when they will be available again? There's currently no listings on ebay under the Hypershere2016 account.

kekstee

22 Jun 2016, 15:31

ebay listings do expire, but they have always been renewed so far. I'd expect them to be back soon.

Hypersphere

23 Jun 2016, 15:09

I've checked with Mrs. Hypersphere. She said that she renewed the eBay listings for the Silencing Rings yesterday morning.

phinix

26 Jun 2016, 23:24

Is there any way we could get them in Europe cheaper?

Hypersphere

26 Jun 2016, 23:46

@phinix: A potential way to help out those in the UK and Europe is for someone there who might be traveling to the US to organize a GB.

kekstee

27 Jun 2016, 21:46

USPS tracking is terrible. Listed as delivered since Saturday but nowhere to be seen. Internet search suggests this happens quite a lot. I'll report if it was in a truck already or just "delivered" to customs pick up.

phinix

30 Jun 2016, 21:26

I got my Novatouch and have to say it sounds good, no need for pads, it really sound good. Cannot hear those rattling.

the_marsbar

07 Jul 2016, 13:47

I installed the silencing rings on my black HHKB Pro 2 yesterday. I'm quite satisfied, although I'm getting some pinging noises now, which were not present before. Maybe an issue with the alignment of the rubber cups/springs. I'll look into that later. The resulting sound is quite close to the sound of the Type-S, although I think the Type-S is a bit quieter.

If you're interested, I made recordings of the "three" boards (Pro 2 before/after and Type-S), using the built-in microphone of a 15" Retina MBP. I made two recordings of each board; one with the keyboard on top of the built-in laptop keyboard, and one with the keyboard on the left side of the laptop (the microphone is located somewhere in the upper left). I typed the same text (more or less) in all the recordings, and ended the recording with three taps on my favourite key - the left shift. The recordings are available here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xx7h81gbjfc7y ... s.zip?dl=0
Last edited by the_marsbar on 07 Jul 2016, 14:05, edited 1 time in total.

cookie

07 Jul 2016, 13:56

The pinging/buzzing and slightly vibration are indeed caused by misplacement of some springs under the domes. Don't worry this will settle over time. My boards behave the same after cleaning/opening up and it will go away after some days/weeks. :)

Hypersphere

16 Jul 2016, 17:36

Maybe you could strap your keyboard into one of these paint can shakers to speed up the equilibration of the domes and springs ....
On second thought, not actually recommended.

gianni

06 Aug 2016, 17:49

Hi, any chance to bring down the cost of the novatouch orings? 0.7$ each seems high, surely justified, but nonetheless high.

When buying through ebay, what value is declared on the good?

Hypersphere

06 Aug 2016, 19:43

@gianni: My wife handles all the transactions and shipping, and everything goes through eBay -- this has proved to be the best for all concerned. We have tried to keep the price as low as possible, but our costs have increased dramatically during the past year. The declared value is handled by eBay and to ensure compliance with all applicable laws, they must declare the actual value.

gianni

08 Aug 2016, 13:54

what is the size of the o-rings? 8.40mm ID, OD?, thickness 0.5mm?
thanks

Hypersphere

09 Aug 2016, 00:02

11.0, 8.5, 0.5 mm

qead

25 Aug 2016, 09:50

@hypershphere
Dear Hypersphere,
no more sale on the ebay?
I really need it right now for my hhkb bt..

gianni

25 Aug 2016, 12:41

Me too!!! Well, if you're selling them in another website, good anyway. But please do it fast. This noise is killing me :-)

Hypersphere

25 Aug 2016, 14:53

My wife handles the Silencing Rings transactions and shipping. She has been traveling. She returned yesterday, but there was some problem with eBay and she was unable to relist the Rings packages. She will be pursuing this today and will get the Rings relisted as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience!

gianni

25 Aug 2016, 15:04

Hypersphere wrote: My wife handles the Silencing Rings transactions and shipping. She has been traveling. She returned yesterday, but there was some problem with eBay and she was unable to relist the Rings packages. She will be pursuing this today and will get the Rings relisted as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience!
Happy to hear this! Have a nice day :-)

Return to “Marketplace Help”