Potential scam on an eBay sale

Scarpia

15 Apr 2016, 16:17

Damn it... I just bought this ANSI AEKII from a UK seller on eBay and paid for everything (through PayPal inside of eBay). Now the seller is asking for my email address in broken english "for posting" (?):

"Hi can you send or taxt 074******** your email for posting thanks."

This made me suspicious, so I looked a little closer and realized he'd simply screengrabbed the auction image from a completely different U.S. eBay listing. Now I wonder if the keyboard is the model he claims it is, if it's actually in terrible condition, if it's ANSI or ISO, and quite frankly whether it even exists.

I've asked the seller to send a pic of the actual keyboard, but I'm pretty sure this one will end up in eBay court.

Any advice on how to deal with stuff like this?

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

15 Apr 2016, 16:20

If you paid with paypal you're covered against scam, mail the info's to ebay support now. Yeah that looks like the same pic. And obviously don't give the seller your email or any more info's.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

15 Apr 2016, 17:37

I don't think it's a complete scam (the seller has a feedback of 166 as a seller),
but as you say, you can't be certain whether the keyboard will be that exact model.

You should inform the legit seller that his photo has been stolen.
He will probably not be very amused and can file a complaint with eBay :mrgreen:

Scarpia

15 Apr 2016, 17:54

I don't really think it's a deliberate scam, but I'll bet it's a UK layout, not a US one; hell, it could be a Mitsumi model.

I wrote the seller, and he "guaranteed" that the keyboard he shipped was "better than the eBay one", which I assume means it's not too yellowed. Which means fuckall to me if it's an ISO or a UK layout.

Either way, I will know when the package arrives in a week or two.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

15 Apr 2016, 18:43

I would ask for a refund directly and don't try to get it. If the guy send you a fake keyboard, PayPal will ask you to go to the police to fill a report. I was in the exact same situation, and I wish someone would have told me this before I spam the seller to get my keyboards, which resulted in him sending fakes.

berserkfan

15 Apr 2016, 20:58

I don't understand. Paypal is very aggressive against potential scams. How would anyone dare to try and scam you when you've just paid by paypal? You can just file complaint easy peasy on paypal, say keyboard is not as described, and they will take sides with you.

I am ranting because I just got account limited myself:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=81369.0

Am guessing taking $1k USD in payments within the space of one month must have triggered this limitation, but now I have a headache and don't know how to resolve the paperwork.

Return to “Marketplace Help”