Price Check: How much is my _____ worth?

Phenix
-p

05 Dec 2017, 19:26

tref127 wrote:I'd like a price check on:

Unicomp ultra classic. Good condition(no shine), ISO swedish/finnish layout

Corsair strafe RGB. bought two weeks ago and lightly tested. ISO nordic layout

Thanks in advance for any help!
If the Corsair purchase is <12 days try to return it: no offense but interest in Razer/Corsair is low over here

nafsasp

12 Dec 2017, 20:51

Would a Mid-90s Model M (made in UK) with Cyrillic sublegends be worth anything? I mostly collect Cherry stuff so I'm not too familiar with what IBM things are worth.

Elrick

13 Dec 2017, 00:49

nafsasp wrote: I mostly collect Cherry stuff so I'm not too familiar with what IBM things are worth.
Get with the crowd here on DT Central, Cherry is old news the Model-M is to die for.

Far better switch and it just feels better in every way when you use this style of IBM iron. Cherry is stone cold boring because it has NO soul, no life when ever you use it.

Cherry is better suited to boring number cruncher's in the office, that would rather spend time ogling Brook Logan on the Bold and the Beautiful and pretending to have a life of their own.

The Model-M are for those that appreciate the REALITY of inputting data into a Computer and LOVING it 8-) .

Gnohio

13 Dec 2017, 00:58

Elrick wrote:
nafsasp wrote: I mostly collect Cherry stuff so I'm not too familiar with what IBM things are worth.
Get with the crowd here on DT Central, Cherry is old news the Model-M is to die for.

Far better switch and it just feels better in every way when you use this style of IBM iron. Cherry is stone cold boring because it has NO soul, no life when ever you use it.

Cherry is better suited to boring number cruncher's in the office, that would rather spend time ogling Brook Logan on the Bold and the Beautiful and pretending to have a life of their own.

The Model-M are for those that appreciate the REALITY of inputting data into a Computer and LOVING it 8-) .
I think you typo'd and meant to put Model-F ;)

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

13 Dec 2017, 05:02

Elrick wrote:

I'm going to have to disagree with that :o

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

13 Dec 2017, 05:05

Elrick wrote:

Vintage MX black switches just won switch of the year.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

13 Dec 2017, 05:08

//gainsborough wrote: Vintage MX black switches just won switch of the year.
Very nice choice DTA voters :)

Elrick

13 Dec 2017, 05:23

Gnohio wrote:
Elrick wrote: I think you typo'd and meant to put Model-F ;)
Sorry when my F77 keyboard arrives then I shall indeed credit the Model-F series as the NEW world keyboard supremo.

Nothing shall even match it or even possibly surpass it in anyway :ugeek: .

The waiting is excruciating almost like passing a gall stone but hoping it will be worth all the pain and misery endured.

DustGod
Yet another IBM snob

13 Dec 2017, 10:08

Am I late for the holy war? :3

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

13 Dec 2017, 10:17

mike52787 wrote:
//gainsborough wrote: Vintage MX black switches just won switch of the year.
Very nice choice DTA voters :)
Quite a few here won't be "amused" with that. :evilgeek: Personally I can appreciate them especially when plate mounted. To everyone who's hot for nixies I say try and find Vintage MX black's.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

13 Dec 2017, 12:19

Elrick wrote:

That's probably the reason why IBM discontinued them for rubberdomes
while Cherry still produce (and sell!) their switches :lol:

depletedvespene

13 Dec 2017, 12:30

DustGod wrote: Am I late for the holy war? :3

What war? The undeniable, inescapable truth is plain and simple: while Cherry MX black and Blue Alps compete to be on the top of the world, Model M's buckling springs are heaven, and Model F's are heaven's heaven.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

13 Dec 2017, 12:40

depletedvespene wrote:

What war? The undeniable, inescapable truth is plain and simple: while Cherry MX black and Blue Alps compete to be on the top of the world, Model M's buckling springs are heaven, and Model F's are heaven's heaven.
Wasn't there something like a rivets issue on those heavenly boards? :lol:

Elrick

13 Dec 2017, 12:42

depletedvespene wrote:
Model M's buckling springs are heaven, and Model F's are heaven's heaven.
The TRUTH Sayer :!: .

Yeah, most here on DT can't yet comprehend that the PERFECT switch has already been made and everything that came after the Buckling Spring, is just an attempt to capture the feeling of using an IBM Keyboard.

Even though I am typing on a NorthGate at this very second, I still can't get the Buckling Spring out of my mind or soul. It will always be there, tempting me constantly to input more data using that style of technology.

Gnohio

13 Dec 2017, 12:43

kbdfr wrote:
depletedvespene wrote:

Wasn't there something like a rivets issue on those heavenly boards? :lol:
Only on the Model M. The Model F is flawless.

Elrick

13 Dec 2017, 12:47

kbdfr wrote: Wasn't there something like a rivets issue on those heavenly boards? :lol:
NOT with Ellipse's F77 model, he's fixed it permanently.

Besides I have a NIB Model-M which I bought off Ellipse and it has no problem rivets which I suspect due to it's age, resides in air conditioned spaces for most of it's life and it still is.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

13 Dec 2017, 13:13

So if I understand correctly,
in order to have a functioning Model M you have to either mod/fix it or permanently keep it in an air conditioned space.
That’s an interesting definition of "heaven" :lol:

But well, as Blaise Pascal put it some 350 years ago,

:mrgreen:

DustGod
Yet another IBM snob

13 Dec 2017, 13:53

depletedvespene wrote: What war? The undeniable, inescapable truth is plain and simple: while Cherry MX black and Blue Alps compete to be on the top of the world, Model M's buckling springs are heaven, and Model F's are heaven's heaven.
CHURCH.
kbdfr wrote: So if I understand correctly,
in order to have a functioning Model M you have to either mod/fix it or permanently keep it in an air conditioned space.
That’s an interesting definition of "heaven" :lol:
I don't know if I've been lucky or what, but of the 6 or 7 Model M I've had, only two had broken rivets. Both worked fine, they only had a weaker tactility. Those two boards were intensely used for 20+ years.

Are we really judging switches based on how much maintenance they need after 20 and more years of daily typing? If so, all and every Alps switch should be in the 'distilled shit' tier.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

13 Dec 2017, 14:26

DustGod wrote: […] I don't know if I've been lucky or what, but of the 6 or 7 Model M I've had, only two had broken rivets. Both worked fine, they only had a weaker tactility. Those two boards were intensely used for 20+ years.
To put it a somewhat less positive way, almost a third (~28.5%) of your Model Ms ended losing their tactility due to faulty technical design.
Not really a reason to praise them being "heaven", I would say :mrgreen:
Are we really judging switches based on how much maintenance they need after 20 and more years of daily typing? If so, all and every Alps switch should be in the 'distilled shit' tier.
You are certainly right. On the other hand, I still am searching where switches were "judged", and "based on" what, in the post that triggered my answer:
Elrick wrote:

Reminds me somehow of Credo quia absurdum :mrgreen:

gogusrl

13 Dec 2017, 18:44

It seems there's a lot of "deaf'ish" single people working from home around here considering the love for BS.

seebart

13 Dec 2017, 18:50

What is a clean working Apple M0118 ISO with SKCM Salmon worth?
IMG_20170827_103809.jpg
IMG_20170827_103809.jpg (825.14 KiB) Viewed 4951 times

JP!

13 Dec 2017, 19:14

gogusrl wrote: It seems there's a lot of "deaf'ish" single people working from home around here considering the love for BS.
WHAT?, I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THIS TYPING.

seebart

13 Dec 2017, 19:39

JP! wrote:
gogusrl wrote: It seems there's a lot of "deaf'ish" single people working from home around here considering the love for BS.
WHAT?, I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THIS TYPING.
Right, and I thought that's what the whole point of this gig was !?! :lol:
yawning-to-deaf-people_o_719131.jpg
yawning-to-deaf-people_o_719131.jpg (48.2 KiB) Viewed 4917 times

Elrick

14 Dec 2017, 00:17

Sorry to break your illusion here but even married people, still love the authenticity of the Buckling Spring.

Those who keep on spruiking Cherry based keyboards, are definitely alone :lol: .

kbdfr
The Tiproman

14 Dec 2017, 08:45

IBM proselyte.png
IBM proselyte.png (197.56 KiB) Viewed 4835 times

seebart

14 Dec 2017, 09:04

744.jpg
744.jpg (17.27 KiB) Viewed 4817 times

DustGod
Yet another IBM snob

14 Dec 2017, 09:07

kbdfr wrote: To put it a somewhat less positive way, almost a third (~28.5%) of your Model Ms ended losing their tactility due to faulty technical design.
Not really a reason to praise them being "heaven", I would say :mrgreen:
I'm not in depletedvespene mind, but I interpreted his "Model M's buckling springs are heaven" as "the typing feel of a Model M is heavenly", and I agree (in decent conditions). If we have to incorporate the design in the equation, membrane BS fare a little worse still better than average I think. The plastic rivets are, undoubtedly, a fault on the design of the boards.
kbdfr wrote: [...] I still am searching where switches were "judged", and "based on" what, in the post that triggered my answer
I'm not in Elrick mind either, but I think that's because that was bait. :?

And now I'm gone wildly off topic :mrgreen:

kbdfr
The Tiproman

14 Dec 2017, 09:10

seebart wrote: Image

:lol:

Chyros

14 Dec 2017, 09:12

That looks like a giant overheating router or something :lol: .

seebart

14 Dec 2017, 09:13

At least just have some style about this kbdfr! :mrgreen:
young-steve-jobs-giving-the-finger-to-an-ibm-sign-16543284.png
young-steve-jobs-giving-the-finger-to-an-ibm-sign-16543284.png (186.28 KiB) Viewed 4767 times

Return to “Marketplace Help”