Price Check: How much is my _____ worth?

DustGod
Yet another IBM snob

14 Dec 2017, 09:21

These will make a nice sticker album for Telegram :D

Elrick

14 Dec 2017, 12:57

seebart wrote: At least just have some style about this kbdfr! :mrgreen:
young-steve-jobs-giving-the-finger-to-an-ibm-sign-16543284.png
The reality here, guess who's now dead and feeding the worms yet the IBM iron is still here and being used everywhere, 25 years after production :lol: .

Some times the IBM just keeps on kicking whilst detractors and the ignorant have all lapsed away, almost poetic yet quite appropriate.

Remember, you can always rejuvenate a destroyed Model-M but could anyone dig up Jobsie and resurrect him ;) ?

depletedvespene

14 Dec 2017, 13:16

Elrick wrote: … but could anyone dig up Jobsie and resurrect him ;) ?
And even if they could, they SHOULDN'T! Or do you want home row indicators on the D and K keys again? Or boardchow showcasing keyboards? Or an L-shaped cursor cluster? Or ... ?

kbdfr
The Tiproman

14 Dec 2017, 13:50

Elrick wrote: […] Remember, you can always rejuvenate a destroyed Model-M […]
A Model M will by design be a destroyed Model M at some time, so it’s not that you CAN rejuvenate it - you HAVE TO :lol:

Your praise of the Model M reminds me of the infatuation of some for the Trabant, the legendary car of the GDR whose inferior design and low quality gave rise to jokes like:
  • What's the best feature of a Trabant? — There's a heater at the back to keep your hands warm when you're pushing it.
  • What is the longest car on the market? — The Trabant, at 12 meters length. 2 meters of car, plus ten meters of smoke.
Thinking of it, Isn’t there quite a similarity between the sound of a Model M and the exhaust noise of a Trabant?
I’m not going to make a lot of friends, I fear :lol: :lol: :lol:

davkol

14 Dec 2017, 18:23

kbdfr wrote: Trabant, the legendary car of the GDR whose inferior design and low quality
Trabant was actually a great piece of engineering work, especially considering the restricted socioeconomic conditions. However, they stopped production decades too late. It's even mentioned in the linked wiki article:
It was a relatively advanced car when it was formally introduced the following year [1958], with front wheel drive, unitary construction and independent suspension.

Its greatest drawback was its largely unchanged production; the car's two-stroke engine made it obsolete by the 1970s, limiting exports to Western Europe.

The Trabant's designers expected production to extend until 1967 at the latest, and East German designers and engineers created a series of more-sophisticated prototypes intended to replace the P601; several are on display at the Dresden Transport Museum. Each proposal for a new model was rejected by the East German government due to shortages of the raw materials required in larger quantities for the more-advanced designs. As a result, the Trabant remained largely unchanged for more than a quarter-century.

Elrick

14 Dec 2017, 23:31

kbdfr wrote: Thinking of it, Isn’t there quite a similarity between the sound of a Model M and the exhaust noise of a Trabant?

Actually I love noise due to working in various workshops repairing diesel trucks and equipment. Hence your analogy of the Model-M as some old and used vehicle from long ago might be appropriate here.

YES, you will make a lot of friends that now would include me, which I suspect may disgust you ;) .

kbdfr
The Tiproman

15 Dec 2017, 08:03

davkol wrote:
kbdfr wrote: Trabant, the legendary car of the GDR whose inferior design and low quality
Trabant was actually a great piece of engineering work, especially considering the restricted socioeconomic conditions. However, they stopped production decades too late. It's even mentioned in the linked wiki article […]
You're of course right. I just could not resist making the comparison :mrgreen:
Elrick wrote:
kbdfr wrote: Thinking of it, Isn’t there quite a similarity between the sound of a Model M and the exhaust noise of a Trabant?

Actually I love noise due to working in various workshops repairing diesel trucks and equipment. Hence your analogy of the Model-M as some old and used vehicle from long ago might be appropriate here.

YES, you will make a lot of friends that now would include me, which I suspect may disgust you ;) .
Oh, I'm perfectly OK with fine jokes, and I certainly appreciate others who feel the same :mrgreen:

I guess we can now return to topics :lol:

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

15 Dec 2017, 18:05

How much is this unconverted AZERTY Apple M0110 in good condition worth?

wiki/Apple_M0110

clickityClackity

15 Dec 2017, 18:30

seebart wrote:How much is this unconverted AZERTY Apple M0110 in good condition worth?

wiki/Apple_M0110
Maybe $40-$50 in good condition, 75+ in great condition.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

15 Dec 2017, 18:40

clickityClackity wrote:
seebart wrote:How much is this unconverted AZERTY Apple M0110 in good condition worth?

wiki/Apple_M0110
Maybe $40-$50 in good condition, 75+ in great condition.
Thanks, how about my M0118 from a page back?

Keybug

16 Dec 2017, 10:33

NIB (it seems - still in transit) Model M, ANSI with both English and Russian legends. Mhhhh.
Attachments
RussiaM.jpg
RussiaM.jpg (57.39 KiB) Viewed 5686 times

Myoth

16 Dec 2017, 12:14

Keybug wrote: NIB (it seems - still in transit) Model M, ANSI with both English and Russian legends. Mhhhh.
19€ ;)

depletedvespene

16 Dec 2017, 12:17

Keybug wrote: NIB (it seems - still in transit) Model M, ANSI with both English and Russian legends. Mhhhh.
Once you get it post detailed pictures of the keycaps, please. :-)

Chyros

16 Dec 2017, 12:24

Spacebar looks yellowed. Probably not NIB, then.

hansichen

16 Dec 2017, 12:30

Could be temperature yellowing, in that case it could be nib. But yeah, it's rather unlikely to be nib

Chyros

16 Dec 2017, 13:54

hansichen wrote: Could be temperature yellowing, in that case it could be nib. But yeah, it's rather unlikely to be nib
What the hell is "temperature yellowing", how does that actually happen? xD

hansichen

16 Dec 2017, 14:09

Wrong storage can probably have some effects too. Eg some of my cherry boards are heavily yellowed but not the abs caps, UV as the origin of this yellowing is unlikely as the caps would have yellowed too. Some reports about the yellowing of things that were retrobrighted could be due to that too, or retrobright is shit

Chyros

16 Dec 2017, 14:13

hansichen wrote: Wrong storage can probably have some effects too. Eg some of my cherry boards are heavily yellowed but not the abs caps, UV as the origin of this yellowing is unlikely as the caps would have yellowed too. Some reports about the yellowing of things that were retrobrighted could be due to that too, or retrobright is shit
ABS is cast at high temperatures, how would it not come out like a banana afterwards then? :p

Keybug

16 Dec 2017, 14:36

Myoth wrote:
19€ ;)
Hehe, big Myoth is watching you...

I agree it's probably not NIB then, maybe that's not even the original box it's in. I'll update when I have it.

fohat
Elder Messenger

16 Dec 2017, 15:18

Chyros wrote:
All US-made Model Ms have PBT space bars that do not yellow.

Greennock apparently switched to ABS space bars somewhere in the mid-1990s, and those do yellow.

Supposedly yellowing is from UV, but I feel that age was often enough.

Chyros

16 Dec 2017, 19:00

fohat wrote:
Chyros wrote:
All US-made Model Ms have PBT space bars that do not yellow.

Greennock apparently switched to ABS space bars somewhere in the mid-1990s, and those do yellow.

Supposedly yellowing is from UV, but I feel that age was often enough.
I know the Greenock ones are ABS, but I don't buy it that these just yellow on their own. I have plenty of NIB boards with ABS caps and space bars and they're pristine.

Wolf123rt

17 Dec 2017, 17:57

How much would a NIB NCR G81-3077 SAU go for?

Myoth

17 Dec 2017, 17:59

Wolf123rt wrote: How much would a NIB NCR G81-3077 SAU go for?
around 300usd I'd say

(not "5 bucks" as the other /mkg/ idiot said)

scottc

17 Dec 2017, 19:23

$300 for NIB, ANSI dyesubs AND with the grey NCR case? I don't know.

You could probably get like $400-500 for it, if you find the right buyer.

That said, I am absolutely not the right buyer, I wouldn't pay nearly that much. But I know that people that would exist. :)

wobbled

17 Dec 2017, 23:10

Myoth wrote:
Wolf123rt wrote: How much would a NIB NCR G81-3077 SAU go for?
around 300usd I'd say

(not "5 bucks" as the other /mkg/ idiot said)
Lmao just seen that thread, /mkg/ is pretty terrible.

Claraval23

19 Dec 2017, 14:29

Price check: NIB Model M ISO (1391506) 140€?
Last edited by Claraval23 on 21 Dec 2017, 19:10, edited 3 times in total.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

19 Dec 2017, 14:39

What is /mkg/?

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

19 Dec 2017, 14:51

ramnes wrote: What is /mkg/?
shitty 4chan /g/keyboard thread

kbdfr
The Tiproman

19 Dec 2017, 15:55

And what is 4chan /g/keyboard?

wobbled

19 Dec 2017, 16:03

/mkg/ is a thread on 4chans technology image board.

Return to “Marketplace Help”