Price Check: How much is my _____ worth?

Excelso

12 Nov 2018, 00:08

I've seen standard IBM model M (104 keys with SDL to PS/2 cable) costing a fortune at eBay... 150-250€... are those prices real?

User avatar
zrrion

12 Nov 2018, 00:17

I paid $5 for mine, so take this with a grain and salt but I wouldn't pay more than like 50 or 60 for a standard one.

Excelso

12 Nov 2018, 00:24

zrrion wrote: I paid $5 for mine, so take this with a grain and salt but I wouldn't pay more than like 50 or 60 for a standard one.
That's what I supposed. Thanks.

davkol

13 Nov 2018, 10:16

Can I get an estimate on a Cherry G81-3000SAC (= swiss dyesubs)? Mainly the keycaps, at least relative to SAD, SAU and/or something like SAT. (For the record, the sublegends are black, not blue/red.)

User avatar
snufflecat

13 Nov 2018, 10:40

Found a guy selling a Cherry G80-5000 for roughly $580. Is that in all fairness really a realistic price to ask?

User avatar
subcat

13 Nov 2018, 14:25

snufflecat wrote: Found a guy selling a Cherry G80-5000 for roughly $580. Is that in all fairness really a realistic price to ask?
depends very much on condition and layout
for a moderately used iso one i'd say no

User avatar
snufflecat

14 Nov 2018, 10:28

subcat wrote:
snufflecat wrote: Found a guy selling a Cherry G80-5000 for roughly $580. Is that in all fairness really a realistic price to ask?
depends very much on condition and layout
for a moderately used iso one i'd say no
Pretty much what I thought. Apparently it's well used and has some scratches, and from what I can tell from the pictures the casing isn't even cleaned.

maxrunner

26 Nov 2018, 16:07

snufflecat wrote:
subcat wrote:
snufflecat wrote: Found a guy selling a Cherry G80-5000 for roughly $580. Is that in all fairness really a realistic price to ask?
depends very much on condition and layout
for a moderately used iso one i'd say no
Pretty much what I thought. Apparently it's well used and has some scratches, and from what I can tell from the pictures the casing isn't even cleaned.
I have a nib iso-PT and im considering selling it. How much do these go by these days?
Also have a couple of HHKP2 that im also considering selling.
Plus a siig minitouch blue montrey with barely any use.

User avatar
bronz

28 Nov 2018, 13:49

What is estimate value for Olivetti ANK 2463 keyboard ?

Image

User avatar
Myoth

28 Nov 2018, 13:51

I doubt they're worth a lot considering they're not interesting, they might be rare though, but rare != valuable. So I don't know, maybe 30€ ?

User avatar
seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

28 Nov 2018, 13:54

bronz wrote: What is estimate value for Olivetti ANK 2463 keyboard ?
Oh I see that's mine. :o To be honest I don't remember what I paid several years ago but it was not much. Just make sure you like the switch before you buy or risk being unhappy with it! I do remember I did not pay much, it was more of a random find.
I doubt they're worth a lot considering they're not interesting, they might be rare though, but rare != valuable. So I don't know, maybe 30€ ?
That is no more than your opinion.

User avatar
madrobby

28 Nov 2018, 14:32

Is anyone keeping track of prices over time, at least for some of the more popular boards?

Wondering just how much the market exploded and prices have gone up. On page 2 or so of this thread is someone in 2011 asking what their Beamspring keyboard is worth and the answer was “$100 to $200”. I’ve seen them go on eBay for $1,200 and more.

User avatar
seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

28 Nov 2018, 14:35

madrobby wrote: Is anyone keeping track of prices over time, at least for some of the more popular boards?

Wondering just how much the market exploded and prices have gone up. On page 2 or so of this thread is someone in 2011 asking what their Beamspring keyboard is worth and the answer was “$100 to $200”. I’ve seen them go on eBay for $1,200 and more.
Yes and there are plenty of users here that know the actual value vs. "inflated" prices. If you are not sure ask before you buy!

User avatar
Khers

28 Nov 2018, 15:01

madrobby wrote: Is anyone keeping track of prices over time, at least for some of the more popular boards?

Wondering just how much the market exploded and prices have gone up. On page 2 or so of this thread is someone in 2011 asking what their Beamspring keyboard is worth and the answer was “$100 to $200”. I’ve seen them go on eBay for $1,200 and more.
Generally prices fluctuate over time, but there has been a, more or less, market-wide trend towards steeply increasing prices over the last couple of years. Some keyboards have had their value increase more than others; with beamsprings being some of the former. There are deals to be had out there, but e.g. eBay-sellers are increasingly aware of the value of their listings - good for them, but bad for the bargain hunters.

User avatar
Myoth

28 Nov 2018, 16:09

seebart wrote:
I doubt they're worth a lot considering they're not interesting, they might be rare though, but rare != valuable. So I don't know, maybe 30€ ?
That is no more than your opinion.
Right, but at least I answered the question.

User avatar
seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

28 Nov 2018, 16:15

Myoth wrote: Right, but at least I answered the question.
There are enough answers here.

User avatar
elecplus

29 Nov 2018, 21:24

I have 3 of these, 2 complete and 1 missing 3 caps. What is the value of the caps? The are double shots. Check out the legends!
IMG_6914.JPG
IMG_6914.JPG (692.45 KiB) Viewed 835 times
IMG_6915.JPG
IMG_6915.JPG (1002.43 KiB) Viewed 835 times
IMG_6916.JPG
IMG_6916.JPG (1.01 MiB) Viewed 835 times

rymut

09 Dec 2018, 18:33

How much Apple Extended Keyboard II - M3501, BCGM3501 manufactured in Ireland, with German layout, might be worth?

User avatar
Keybug

10 Dec 2018, 09:48

@rymut: roughly between 25 and 250$, depending on condition, the latter being NIB.

@elecplus: What mount on those caps? With that degree of yellowing, I doubt they'd fetch a lot, though, even if Cherry or ALPS mount.

User avatar
Keybug

10 Dec 2018, 09:50

What might be the market value of a board with vintage Cherry MX white switches in decent condition, neglecting all characteristics of the keyboard (i.e. let's say conversion impossible, no collector's value etc.)? So really just as a container for the switches to be desoldered and used in some project? Thanks.

User avatar
hansichen

10 Dec 2018, 13:09

MX whites aren't sought at all from what I've seen. I don't think they have any decent value outside of their boards. Maybe 20-30€ if you find someone who is curious to give them a try.
Keybug wrote: @rymut: roughly between 25 and 250$, depending on condition, the latter being NIB.

@elecplus: What mount on those caps? With that degree of yellowing, I doubt they'd fetch a lot, though, even if Cherry or ALPS mount.
They are DCS doubleshot caps

User avatar
Keybug

11 Dec 2018, 09:54

hansichen wrote: MX whites aren't sought at all from what I've seen. I don't think they have any decent value outside of their boards. Maybe 20-30€ if you find someone who is curious to give them a try.
Why ever not? Going by my first impressions, they're way nicer than blues /greens and should be at least on par with Whateverstotles. Might have to put in a somewhat lighter spring, though. I consider them the NEC oval blues of the Cherry universe...

User avatar
Elrick

11 Dec 2018, 10:24

Keybug wrote: I consider them the NEC oval blues of the Cherry universe...
Always avoided them for some strange reason being (due to Geekflack criticisms) they were made in China but now since EVERYTHING is made there, I might pick up a keyboard with Whites (today).

Have to see up close if they are in fact the 'NEC styled switches' of the Cherry Kingdom.

User avatar
Keybug

11 Dec 2018, 10:39

Are you sure they were made in China (the vintage variety with the little prick)? This is mid-80s stuff after all...

User avatar
hansichen

11 Dec 2018, 10:48

Keybug wrote:
hansichen wrote: MX whites aren't sought at all from what I've seen. I don't think they have any decent value outside of their boards. Maybe 20-30€ if you find someone who is curious to give them a try.
Why ever not? Going by my first impressions, they're way nicer than blues /greens and should be at least on par with Whateverstotles. Might have to put in a somewhat lighter spring, though. I consider them the NEC oval blues of the Cherry universe...
That's the first time that I hear something like that. My mx white switch from a TA typewriter just feels like a normal, bad, clicky Cherry switch. I think most people share this opinion, therefore the market for such stuff is rather small.

User avatar
Keybug

11 Dec 2018, 11:12

Did some reading. Apparently many people who are annoyed by the blue / green click really like them at first (as they really sound and feel somewhat similar to heavier Aristotles) but there seems to be a fat inconsistency problem in manufacturing that makes the soft click unreliable. That inconsistency has put a lot of people off of them...

davkol

11 Dec 2018, 21:10

That's probably the same inconsistency problem as with MX Blue/Green before retooling. (In 2013 or so, Geekhack was full of complaints about it.)

Vintage whites shouldn't be affected, and retooled whites are supposedly great too.

User avatar
Elrick

12 Dec 2018, 06:41

davkol wrote: Vintage whites shouldn't be affected, and retooled whites are supposedly great too.
Thanks for the clear up.

Should one of these days, get a keyboard with current made Whites in them to compare with the Greens and see if there is really a big difference between them.

User avatar
Keybug

12 Dec 2018, 08:57

FYI, couldn't find a complete board anywhere in EU shops, some on Amazon.com. Found switches on mechanicalkeyboards.com and aliexpress, not sure whether these qualify as re-tooled, though...

Paco666

13 Dec 2018, 01:07

Hello everyone first post here but have been using this site as a reference for some time. I recently got very interested by vintage keyboards and such after randomly finding an IBM 5251.

Now I’ve found these blue keys from an IBM selectric I and from what I have seen are pretty rare. How much are these worth exactly on their own?
Attachments
CA69C4FC-20B2-4F8E-874D-63782D738936.jpeg
CA69C4FC-20B2-4F8E-874D-63782D738936.jpeg (724.08 KiB) Viewed 357 times
2DB4533E-1259-4AED-8F2F-CF7F7461F68C.jpeg
2DB4533E-1259-4AED-8F2F-CF7F7461F68C.jpeg (1.65 MiB) Viewed 357 times

Post Reply

Return to “Marketplace Help”