Model F Keyboard "Authorized" Repair Persons - Any Interest?

Ellipse

05 Apr 2017, 02:45

While many of those ordering Brand New Model F Keyboards from the group buy are enthusiasts who know how to fix springs and other parts of Model F / Model M keyboards, many would prefer an expert technician instead of trying to self-repair.

I was thinking of putting together a list of DT / GH / r/MK users who would be interested in servicing Model F keyboards, whether with an original one or one of the new buckling spring projects. Payment or in-kind service would be arranged between the keyboard owner and those fixing up the keyboards. To minimize shipping/repair costs I would ask each person to list the state or country/region. Again no ongoing obligation for anyone, just anyone thinking they might be interested. Maybe this thread could serve as a place to leave feedback and recommendations on current or past work done by forum members for others.

My hope for this initiative is to ensure well-functioning Model F keyboards on a continuous basis in the years to come, long after the F62/F77 group buy finishes this year. After three years on the project including hand-testing hundreds of keyboards for this group buy I will be pooped :(.

Feel free to PM me or reply below if interested in being a repairer or if you need repair work from a community member.

taylorswiftttttt

05 Apr 2017, 03:02

removed
Last edited by taylorswiftttttt on 25 May 2022, 10:54, edited 1 time in total.

Ellipse

09 Apr 2017, 22:05

Great! If anyone else is interested or has any ideas for this initiative please let me know.

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

10 Apr 2017, 01:14

Great idea, I think would be a nice addition to the forum to have a service list similar to the vendor section that covers more than just the IBM F.

andrewjoy

20 Apr 2017, 23:53

If somone in the UK is stuck I can help out. Have quite a few model f rebuilds under my belt . My speciality is the 122 .

scottc

21 Apr 2017, 00:06

Not sure if this is the right place but I'll give it a shot anyway. I'm having some trouble converting my F122 - with hid_listen I just see an R05 error (the clock timeout error) and nothing else. I've quadruple checked my wiring and I think it's all right. Anyone here run into this before?

Ellipse

21 Apr 2017, 00:57

Yes I think this would be a good place to post about Model F related issues too! Whether or not they turn out to require repair service or can be self-repaired.

doom2

21 Apr 2017, 03:38

I also would like to know because while my Model F XT is in pretty good condition considering the age, I'd love to get it really nice including a refurb of the plate and replacing the foam (in decent condition, could be better).

andrewjoy

21 Apr 2017, 10:27

scottc wrote: Not sure if this is the right place but I'll give it a shot anyway. I'm having some trouble converting my F122 - with hid_listen I just see an R05 error (the clock timeout error) and nothing else. I've quadruple checked my wiring and I think it's all right. Anyone here run into this before?

I have had similar issues using a converter. In the end i just replaced the controller

Are you using a pre built one or did you throw one together yourself ?

Does your 122 have dip switches on the back ?

I have 2 122f i had this issue with one but not the other. The one i had issues with had the dip switches , they pull certain lines on the controller high or low. I spend ages testing traces cables and components and in the end i could not get it to work and replaced it .

My second 122F without the dip switches worked out of the box no problems whatsoever with a converter.

If its the clock you could check the crystal and any caps leading to it to see if they are out of spec.
doom2 wrote: I also would like to know because while my Model F XT is in pretty good condition considering the age, I'd love to get it really nice including a refurb of the plate and replacing the foam (in decent condition, could be better).
A plate is not an issue , sand , rust treatment if it was very bad and a blast of hammerite/rustoleum and its done.

The issue is the foam. We need to find a suppler of decent foam at a decent price that is easy to cut and stamp to the right size at home. We also need to investigate a possible tool to cut holes at the right size and in the right position. Or how about we get some sort of patterns made for say AT / XT / 122 / 104 and the 4704s and then we can have a supply of each for when a job pops up ?

Don't forget you don't want to over restore an F and make the foam "better" than it was , you want something as close to the original as you can, you don't even need to worry too much about it ( the new stuff) rotting away , many F's where abused to hell and the foam in mot of them is still passable and works after 30 years.

I usually go for a , " if it works don't touch it " when it comes to foam. Sure it would be better to replace it but its a big task and hard to get just right. However if i had a roll of the stuff i could just cut and be done with then i would be happy to replace it every time.

scottc

21 Apr 2017, 21:15

Thanks Andrew, it is the one with the DIP switches. I removed the DIP switches entirely for testing but it didn't make a difference. I spoke to emdude on Telegram and he said that his 122 with DIP switches worked fine, so first I'll see if he kept the switches plugged in and see what config he had on them. I made the converter myself, but it's a Teensy I know works fine and I'm pretty confident that the wiring is right.

I might just replace the controller entirely like you suggest though, but after I try the DIP switches. Thanks for all the info.

Did you manage to find anywhere in the UK to source foam, Andrew, even at bad prices? I looked around a few art and hobby shops in London but they only have the very thick foam board, no "art foam" sheets like you'd get in the USA. If I end up on a work trip to the USA at some point in the future I'll try to look there and can grab a few sheets for anyone in the UK or EU who's interested.
Last edited by scottc on 21 Apr 2017, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.

andrewjoy

21 Apr 2017, 21:18

Only found em in smalls sheets , too small for a keybaord

scottc

21 Apr 2017, 21:22

Apparently it's alright if you get them in A4 pages, you just use one page for the numpad and another for the main part.

Phenix
-p

14 May 2017, 23:17

I am interested.
I am located in Germany..

Fkazim

17 Mar 2020, 15:08

I can do IBM Model F repairs. I have done quite a few restorations. I'm in the UK. I can do all model F's AT, XT, F122 etc...

Here is one of my restorations: viewtopic.php?t=22111

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

17 Mar 2020, 15:43

I'm quite good with the hardware side of model F repairs, so I'm certainly down to help with that :)

Here are a few images from my Unsaver build log:
Spoiler:
0E2A8421.JPG
0E2A8421.JPG (282.5 KiB) Viewed 17661 times
0E2A8434.JPG
0E2A8434.JPG (281.81 KiB) Viewed 17661 times
0E2A8410.JPG
0E2A8410.JPG (290.39 KiB) Viewed 17661 times
0E2A8440.JPG
0E2A8440.JPG (330.23 KiB) Viewed 17661 times
Last edited by Redmaus on 17 Mar 2020, 16:08, edited 1 time in total.

Fkazim

17 Mar 2020, 15:57

Brilliant we are building a little repair force here :D

Jacobalbertus1

20 Aug 2020, 01:20

i can also do this i have rebuilt f122 F AT f XT and done some tinkering with my repro f77 i am in US-SC

kmnov2017

03 Sep 2020, 15:19

Happy to help any user in the EU...

Return to “Marketplace Help”