Where can I still find Gateron Switches with milky bottom?

Sankart

17 Jun 2017, 20:28

Hey guys,
I've been looking for a while now and it looks like these are sold out everywhere? I guess they're not produced anymore (which might've been due to QC-issues? The ~10 switches I once had all showed chattering issues, although they came with different stems, so from different charges)
I just need enough bottom housings for a 60% keyboard. Does anyone know of a shop where they're still available?
If necessary I could probably just use Zealios housings, but I don't feel like buying Switches for 1€/piece just to sell everything but the bottom housings again :cry:

Thanks in advance to anyone who could help.

manna

18 Jun 2017, 11:40

https://opticboards.com/
If it's these you're talking about they have more than enough. The white version is the one compatible with SMD leds.

Menuhin

18 Jun 2017, 12:39

If you are talking about these Gateron milky (top and bottom) switches, they are out of production.
http://i.imgur.com/PmOG6qP.jpg

TapX

18 Jun 2017, 14:27

The only currently produced ones are those with clear top and white bottom, which you can get on opticboards or AliExpress (I think Shenzen YMD store has them, not quite sure). I did find this listing on ebay with translucent milky housings, I don't know if it's some outdated picture or something, though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281903491058

Nuum

18 Jun 2017, 14:33

If you are really looking for the milky bottoms the others posted I have some lightly used Gateron Clears. Currently they are stickered and have 65g (?) springs but I could disassemble them and just ship you the bottoms or put the old lighter springs back in.

Sankart

18 Jun 2017, 15:34

@manna
Sadly the white SMD-Version won't work for what I want to do I think. The bottom case needs to be translucent. It works best with the milky housings, but the clear housing from zealios looks okay too.

@Menuhin
Exactly those. Is there any information as of why they got discontinued?

@Solid_Snake
I'll shoot the seller a mail, maybe I'm lucky and they actually are milky switches

@Nuum
Thanks for the offer, but I feel like this would be a LOT of work for very little gain. As I said, I could use Zealios housings if necessary and sell the stems. This way I'd just outsource the work. I don't think it's worth it.

Is there any alternative to the milky Gateron housings? Are Cherry RGB switches available anywhere? The linked doyu studio shop only has about 20 left, which isn't enough for me sadly :(

TapX

18 Jun 2017, 16:27

Is there any alternative to the milky Gateron housings? Are Cherry RGB switches available anywhere? The linked doyu studio shop only has about 20 left, which isn't enough for me sadly :(
They are available on AliExpress stores, but the prices are too steep (at least for me, heh) for what they are. You should check there if you really want some though. No idea if any other store/seller has some in Europe.

Menuhin

18 Jun 2017, 18:22

Sankart wrote: ...
@Menuhin
Exactly those. Is there any information as of why they got discontinued?
Two versions of the story:
1. The top milky housing has a some chance (~10%) to not fit well with Cherry profile caps, especially those from GMK. And they have to renew the design.
2. The milky housing (translucent) does not allow light to shine through as nicely as the totally transparent material, and they decided to change the material.

Me:
Milky top is POM slippery material, which is good for linear switches; the translucent nature of milky housing actually diffuses light better. And with my limited fund, I secured some yellows, blacks, and clears, before most of them were sold out (on both eBay & Aliexpress). I have yet to compare the milky and the new version side by side. For those who are buying for the fame of Gateron switches, they may also pay attention to the latest generation of Cherry MX that are "secretly revised", people say they are buttery smooth and have noticeably less wobble than Gaterons. I am happy with Gaterons, but I may need some more switches when I am not as broke - some Gateron greens and Cherry clears.

Sankart

18 Jun 2017, 19:34

@Solid_Snake
Yeah, those prices are insane. I'm willing to pay some extra, but more than 1€ per switch with a slider I don't want and can't resell either? Nah, thanks.

@Menuhin
1. No problem for me, as I plan to use a black Cherry Top-Housing anyway. I just need the milky bottom.
2. That's exactly why I want them. A nice shine, through my 5mm frosted acrylic plate and not more.

Cherry Reds and Blacks really have been revised. Got me some of the Silent switches and boy, they're much better than regular old Cherry Blacks/Reds.

TapX

18 Jun 2017, 19:40

I don't know if these will do, I suppose they are some sort of different Cherry MX RGB variation (?), but they have some off-white, translucent (as far as I can tell from the pictures) bottom housing. Cheaper than the all-clear housing ones too.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10-Free ... 67080.html

Sankart

18 Jun 2017, 19:45

That actually looks promising, thanks! I think I'll buy some of these soon.

Return to “Marketplace Help”