Buying from Japan Quick Guide

Topre Enthusiast

18 Jun 2013, 13:17

Intro:
Ok so I get the occasional PM about buying stuff from Japan, so I thought I'd throw together a quick guide to get people started.
Here's the summary:

- Create a tenso.com account
- Create an amazon.co.jp account (if you want to shop on amazon Japan)
- Buy stuff

There are other popular Japanese shopping sites (for example, Rakuten), and there are other proxy services too, but if you knew that, you probably don't need this guide. If you have specific questions about other sites, I'm happy to help.

How It Works:
Tenso.com is a forwarding service. When you register with them, they give you a unique address, which is simply a physical warehouse address that includes an ID number that identifies packages that they receive as belonging to you. When you register yourself on a Japanese shopping website such as amazon.co.jp or rakuten, you do not enter your real address as your residence, you enter your tenso address. I think you can see where this is going :) The reason for this is that many online sellers/stores in Japan will not ship internationally.

Some sites (such as amazon) allow you to enter multiple shipping addresses, but I suggest you just keep it simple and enter your tenso address unless you know what you're doing. You can always change the information later if you need to.

You make your purchase, they ship it to your address at Tenso. When your package arrives at Tenso, they send you an e-mail, you pay the handling and shipping and they send your parcel out via EMS and give you the tracking number.

Registering at Tenso:
1. Go to http://www.tenso.com
2. Click 'English' in the Top Right
Spoiler:
3. Click 'Registration (Free) on the right
Spoiler:
4. Follow the steps to complete registration (NOTE: Tenso changed their rules recently and for some countries, you are required to prove you identify with some scans or photos of ID material that proves your real residence)
Spoiler:
5. Once you're registered, check your 'My Page' tab which lists that address you use for online shopping in Japan
Spoiler:
(Other)
- Tenso will hold your items for 60 days if you wish to combine on items to save shipping.
- Tenso's fees can be found here: http://www.tenso.com/en/guide/fee/index.html

Registering at amazon.co.jp:
1. Go to http://amazon.co.jp
2. Click 'In English' at the top
Spoiler:
3. Hover over the 'Your Account' option and choose 'Start here'
Spoiler:
4. Complete your registration and when prompted for address, enter your Tenso address. There is a personalised guide for entering your Tenso address on Japanese websites such as amazon.co.jp and Rakuten on Tenso:
Spoiler:

Buying Stuff:
This really depends on where you are shopping. If you're shopping on Amazon, it's pretty straight-forward:
1. Find your item (Google Chrome + Auto Translate is your friend here)
2. Add it to your cart and proceed to checkout
3. Log in (if prompted)
4. Select your address (this is where you can edit or add new addresses to your Address Book)
5. Choose your shipping option
6. Choose your payment option (NOTE: You will need a Credit or Debit card for most purchases from Japan)
7. Place your order! 8-)

Conclusion:
So most of this guide is pretty straight-forward stuff. The good thing is that most of these online shopping site forms are pretty much the same (how many ways can you ask for someone's details anyway?) so when you know how to register at amazon or rakuten, it's the sky's the limit really. You might run into the occasional site that use images instead of text for their forms which is a bit of a pain in the arse, but stick to your Tenso guide for entering address and you should be OK.

Some other suggestions:
- Order "direct" from PFU Japan! ;)
- Sign up to http://buyee.jp and check out Yahoo Auctions Japan. Keyboards are here

Hope this is of use to some people. If I've missed anything or something isn't clear, please let me know.
Mods: Wasn't sure if this belongs here or Off-Topic. Up to you if you want to move it.
Last edited by 002 on 18 Jun 2013, 14:48, edited 2 times in total.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

18 Jun 2013, 13:23

thanks! really useful tutorial.

what about customs declaration? who does fill the form for the customs office?

Topre Enthusiast

18 Jun 2013, 13:28

Tenso will fill in all that stuff for you. It's good that you brought that up actually because sometimes certain shops will not put a cost on packages sent to Tenso. In these cases, you have to enter the value yourself. They encourage you to enter the market value of the item so how much could a junky old keyboard really be worth :evilgeek:

I'm usually pretty honest about the cost because it doesn't make a difference to me as customs here don't really care about stuff under $1000.

Muirium
µ

18 Jun 2013, 14:19

Nice stuff, 002. Might want to mention Tenso's fee system.

Customs is trickier here. I'm sure I've been zinged for as little as $50 at some point.

Had any nonsense triggered by using a foreign credit / debit card in Japan? Or even just a difference in shipping and billing addresses?

Topre Enthusiast

18 Jun 2013, 14:41

Thanks, Muirium :)
Updated the guide with a link to their fees.

Regarding the Credit / Debit Card; I've only ever had a problem when I tried to register for Yahoo Auctions Japan. They require a Japanese card for that for some reason. Everywhere else has been fine (touch wood). One thing I guess we can always be assured of is that humans will be very accommodating when they want your money...funny that, now if only they would take the same approach to sending the merchandise! :)

RC-1140

18 Jun 2013, 14:59

German customs have you pay 19% on everything what is more expensive than 25€ or so.

Topre Enthusiast

18 Jun 2013, 15:04

19%...That's pretty ruthless :(

Muirium
µ

18 Jun 2013, 15:24

Welcome to Europe. 20% in Britain. We don't complain about DER ZOLL / Her Majesty's Customs & Excise for nothing, alas.

nnelg74

18 Jun 2013, 16:43

Thank you. :D

quochung1989
Vintage Cherry Collector

18 Jun 2013, 18:16

Amazon.co.jp don't shipp something to Vietnam?

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

18 Jun 2013, 18:20

Anybody know how Tenso compares with Smart Imports, with regards to fees?

Muirium
µ

18 Jun 2013, 18:27

They work differently.

Smart Imports example, HHKB:
http://www.smartimports.net/products/Ha ... nal2-.html

They act like a separate store, where you can see all their prices right on their site. You buy from them, and they ship to you directly.

Compare with Amazon.co.jp:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/PFU-Keyboard-Pr ... words=hhkb

With Tenso + Amazon, you have to buy from Amazon yourself, ship it to your address at Tenso, and then pay Tenso's fees and shipping to finally reach you.

Muirium
µ

18 Jun 2013, 18:33

By the way 002, even being from Britain, Tenso says I have to go through the rigmarole of sending in ID.
Tenso wrote: From 1st April 2013 Japanese law has changed to require all forwarding companies such as Tenso.com to obtain proof of identity from their users. The legislation detailing these changes is known as the 'Prevention of Transfer of Criminal Proceeds'. More details are available on the National Police Agency website.

http://www.npa.go.jp/sosikihanzai/jafic/index_e.htm

In order to continue to use forwarding services such as Tenso.com, you must submit a form of personal identification which shows your [ Name ], [ Date of Birth } and [ Current Address ]. Please submit a copy of your government-issued identification, such as a Passport, Driver's License, Certificate of Employment, National ID Card (etc.)
Looks like everyone who registered after the change in Japanese law has to do it.

Halverson

18 Jun 2013, 20:42

Muirium wrote:By the way 002, even being from Britain, Tenso says I have to go through the rigmarole of sending in ID.
Tenso wrote: From 1st April 2013 Japanese law has changed to require all forwarding companies such as Tenso.com to obtain proof of identity from their users. The legislation detailing these changes is known as the 'Prevention of Transfer of Criminal Proceeds'. More details are available on the National Police Agency website.

http://www.npa.go.jp/sosikihanzai/jafic/index_e.htm

In order to continue to use forwarding services such as Tenso.com, you must submit a form of personal identification which shows your [ Name ], [ Date of Birth } and [ Current Address ]. Please submit a copy of your government-issued identification, such as a Passport, Driver's License, Certificate of Employment, National ID Card (etc.)
Looks like everyone who registered after the change in Japanese law has to do it.
I registered before this, and I had to do it as well. The odd thing, I have been using Buyee for Yahoo auctions Japan, and they didn't require me to do this.

Topre Enthusiast

18 Jun 2013, 23:15

Halverson wrote: I registered before this, and I had to do it as well. The odd thing, I have been using Buyee for Yahoo auctions Japan, and they didn't require me to do this.
Buyee is run by the same people as Tenso. They might just cross-reference your Buyee and Tenso accounts and if you've got the same e-mail registered on both sites?
quochung1989 wrote:Amazon.co.jp don't shipp something to Vietnam?
A lot of items on amazon (especially those sold second-hand) won't ship outsite Japan at all. The easiest way to check is just add something to your cart and go to checkout. Get to the point where it asks you for your shipping address and if you chose your direct address in Vietnam, it will prevent you from completing the purchase if they don't ship there.

Elrick

19 Jun 2013, 02:40

RC-1140 wrote:German customs have you pay 19% on everything what is more expensive than 25€ or so.
Bloody hell......I knew your Government was greedy but this is absolute criminal charging that much for such a low amount.

Here in Australia we get taxed at anything over $1000.00 AUD. Even then it's at 10%. You have to thank John Howard for introducing that, I still love that old bastard :lol: .

Topre Enthusiast

19 Jun 2013, 14:03

Even > $1000 you can still get away with no custom duty sometimes. Come to think of it, the last time I had to pay customs tax was back when the Playstation Portable (PSP) first came out and I bought a white one from lik-sang.com (RIP). On ~$400 it was something like $80 on top.

RC-1140

19 Jun 2013, 14:06

I had to pay about 15€ for the DSA caps, which were marked at 75€.

quochung1989
Vintage Cherry Collector

19 Jun 2013, 15:49

Are you live in Japan? Can you help me ship to Vietnam?

Muirium
µ

19 Jun 2013, 16:39

quochung1989 wrote:Are you live in Japan? Can you help me ship to Vietnam?
Nope. This is about using your own proxy, in Japan.
002 wrote:Even > $1000 you can still get away with no custom duty sometimes. Come to think of it, the last time I had to pay customs tax was back when the Playstation Portable (PSP) first came out and I bought a white one from lik-sang.com (RIP). On ~$400 it was something like $80 on top.
Ah, lik-sang. A friend bought the first GameCube any of us has ever seen through them. Back when shopping on the Internet seemed the height of brave!
Elrick wrote: Here in Australia we get taxed at anything over $1000.00 AUD. Even then it's at 10%. You have to thank John Howard for introducing that, I still love that old bastard :lol: .
Never to go off topic (who, me?!?) Howard was the only PM of Australia we even heard about up here. He was your Vlad Putin. And everyone needs one of those! Seems our right wingers just don't have the chutzpah in Europe. They annoy everyone but don't achieve anything as concrete as cheaper Topres!

Halverson

20 Jun 2013, 19:28

002 wrote:
Halverson wrote: I registered before this, and I had to do it as well. The odd thing, I have been using Buyee for Yahoo auctions Japan, and they didn't require me to do this.
Buyee is run by the same people as Tenso. They might just cross-reference your Buyee and Tenso accounts and if you've got the same e-mail registered on both sites?
The weird thing was I was buying items from buyee after the new "law". And only very recently used Tenso again.

pkamb

06 Sep 2013, 04:16

Thank you for this topic; I'm very interested in Japanese keyboard (layouts) due to the 1/3rd width Spacebar key. Figure it will allow me to put modifier/function keys under my thumbs on the extra buttons.

What is the typical shipping cost and time from Japan to the USA?

Topre Enthusiast

06 Sep 2013, 04:47

I wouldn't be able to give you an accurate price on that as I'm in Australia, but my guess would be around the 5000 yen mark for EMS to the States. Of course it also depends on the size/weight of the keyboard you buy too :)

Game Theory
Mr. Despair

06 Sep 2013, 04:58

On the bright-side EMS seems superfast.

tlt

06 Sep 2013, 07:27

I can recommend tenso. The shipping was not that expensive and fast and the service was good.

Ekaros

06 Sep 2013, 07:41

002 wrote:19%...That's pretty ruthless :(
Finland it's 24%, plus tolls if they are sufficiently hi also...

fruktstund

06 Sep 2013, 07:57

Ekaros wrote:
002 wrote:19%...That's pretty ruthless :(
Finland it's 24%, plus tolls if they are sufficiently hi also...
25% in Sweden, I win! 0% additional toll fees on electronics though, which is quite neat. You always get a pesky penalty fee of 100SEK (~11.4€) from the Swedish Post though.

In before the Hungarians I guess. I reckon they have like 27% VAT.

And by the way, EMS really is super fast. It's probably one of the fastest shipping methods available to non-business customers, except for maybe going to the country by airplane and getting your stuff yourself. :)

pkamb

10 Sep 2013, 23:49

Cool, just ordered a Japanese ThinkPad USB keyboard 55Y9024.

Parts number link, if anyone's interested:
https://www.google.com/search?q=55Y9024+thinkpad

Review soon!

rakutenwaxoff

10 Dec 2013, 00:28

I had trouble buying from Rakuten.
I wanted to buy an item so I registered. I didn't really know what I was doing as I don't read Japanese. I was able to register and "win" an auction. Their auction is much different than ebay at least what I am able to understand. So after I won the item I got a tenso account because you must have a japanese address. Then when I used my American credit card the transaction failed.
I tried to correct the problem but emails from Rakuten suggest that I can't complete the transaction because I must have a Japanese issued credit card. I need to review the emails again to be absolutely sure.
The item I want is still being listed and I still want it but chances are not good unless I have a good proxy.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Medowy

10 Dec 2013, 07:44

Very cool guide! Thanks 002!

Looking forward to spend my money...

Return to “Marketplace Help”