(WTS) IBM Model M [EU-IRL]

Donnelly20

09 Jun 2021, 02:23

IBM Model M for sale. Has been converted to iso from ansi (still has all ansi layout parts). Since it was converted the board was bolt modded. The board also comes with spare parts. A SDL-PS2 cable comes with too.
Asking Price:200€150€ + Shipping. Preferably only ship to EU and UK. Open to reasonable offers :D
Model M.PNG
Model M.PNG (1.72 MiB) Viewed 9279 times
Model M Label.PNG
Model M Label.PNG (1.66 MiB) Viewed 9279 times
PS2-SDL.PNG
PS2-SDL.PNG (1.35 MiB) Viewed 9279 times
Model M Spares.PNG
Model M Spares.PNG (1023.01 KiB) Viewed 9279 times
Last edited by Donnelly20 on 29 Jun 2021, 18:27, edited 3 times in total.

Donnelly20

15 Jun 2021, 16:16

Bump

Donnelly20

29 Jun 2021, 18:27

Price reduced

stefan94452

24 Jul 2021, 21:14

Nice one, I'm really tempt ;)
Are there any pics from the inside?

ifohancroft

11 Oct 2021, 06:38

I may have a chance to buy it in the upcoming month (fingers crossed).
How would you feel about converting it back to ANSI though? (Obviously only if/when I'm ready to buy it)

Muirium
µ

11 Oct 2021, 11:31

That ANSI Return key could be very handy indeed for those interested in my SSK. I'd buy it from you myself if I wanted to hold onto that board.

affenstark

12 Oct 2021, 16:13

ifohancroft wrote:
11 Oct 2021, 06:38
I may have a chance to buy it in the upcoming month (fingers crossed).
How would you feel about converting it back to ANSI though? (Obviously only if/when I'm ready to buy it)
Sorry to disappoint, but I bought this keyboard about a month ago... I never posted in the thread about it though (oops). Also looks like the thread title was never updated...

(P.S. I just made a new account because I thought if I do end up contributing on DT, i didn't want some throwaway username. I'm not trying to be suspicious I promise)

ifohancroft

12 Oct 2021, 23:33

Oh, that's fine. Thanks for letting me know!

kinnounko

04 Jan 2022, 18:22

Pm'd

Muirium
µ

04 Jan 2022, 21:24

I’m still after the ANSI Return if its current owner counts it spare. :P

affenstark

13 Jan 2022, 13:53

Muirium wrote:
04 Jan 2022, 21:24
I’m still after the ANSI Return if its current owner counts it spare. :P
Unfortunately I'm using it myself :)

Muirium
µ

13 Jan 2022, 13:56

Fair answer!

Someone's sending me a Unicomp cap they claim to be much improved, against the lousy 2015 era Unicomp caps I've got. Maybe that'll do the trick. I'll be back pestering if it doesn't! ;)

ifohancroft

15 Jan 2022, 19:28

Let us know how the quality is if you do end up trying them.

Muirium
µ

19 Jan 2022, 11:52

A little envelope arrived, containing a well wrapped little ANSI Return key. Thanks Stratokaster! :D

This is a recent Unicomp 2.25u Return. So let's see if we can spot it among its peers:

Desk Plan.jpg
Desk Plan.jpg (134.1 KiB) Viewed 7555 times
The cold blue winter light's not doing us any favours, but you can see the differences in legends plainly enough. Three different Return keys: three quite different weights of print!

Desk Low.jpg
Desk Low.jpg (90.32 KiB) Viewed 7555 times
And oh yeah, the "Return" vs. "Enter" thing! That's the giveaway: Unicomp's evidently switched over to calling Return "Return" like IBM should have always done. I'm not against it. The legend is an ENORMOUS improvement over that miserable 2015-era Enter of theirs you see on top. Its kerning's a little tight: "Retum" anyone? It's still a bit thick and compressed, as if they're worried about running out of space to print it on, or rather skimping on the stencil! And the baseline is a little low beside the arrow, but overall it's a good bit closer to the IBM SSK original in the middle.

Now, what about the colour? My old Unicomp cap always looked much too pale and creamy brown to match the SSK's own set.

Installed Plan.jpg
Installed Plan.jpg (85.13 KiB) Viewed 7555 times
Apologies for the lighting, which is making everything too monochrome. My pics show hardly any difference, but in reality the old Unicomp cap always stood out. Let me find an older picture… here's a couple of that very cap on my AT.

See what I mean? It always jumps out instantly in real life. I've put this new cap onto the SSK and will report when the light is right to tell. But it's at least most of the way there to matching the original. They upped their game a bit, thankfully. ;)

stratokaster

19 Jan 2022, 19:57

Happy to be of assistance. It does not look too bad, even if I do say so myself :lol:

ifohancroft

22 Jan 2022, 22:52

Thank you Mu! I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures and report when the light is right.

Return to “For sale”