Tried to sell 62 Amber Alps for $200 (after having already listed other items separately) and then this happened...

andj00

17 May 2020, 22:34

forter4 wrote:
17 May 2020, 22:31
Instead of saying, "Also, these prices are hilarious, but unfortunately, the comedy has turned stale now... you might wanna give something a change," a simple "oh also, your prices might be a bit high. You might have better luck selling them if you lower them a bit"
I agree with this 100%.

zrrion

17 May 2020, 22:36

>has no way to test item and lists as resorted working condition

>Doesn't list that it isn't restored and is rather downgraded (if you're posting on DT then you know full well that the switches are what people buy this for, putting in other switches is a downgrade.)

>Cleverly word listing as "to working condition" avoiding a hard confirmation on if it works while implying that it does

>Prices it at the same price you would expect a unit with the original switches to be priced at, despite the above issues

>No returns

To quote your IIc listing "The keyboard unit was malfunctioning and has been repaired with new parts." What parts are we talking about here? Did you replace the dead ambers with working ambers? Did you replace them with a different alps switch?
This isn't you being more transparent its you continuing to be needlessly vague in what I can only assume is an attempt to swindle someone out of their money. What else could it be if, when confronted about how shady it is to not list that you removed and replaced the switches with switches of a different type, you added a vague sentence that doesn't address the concern that was voiced? This is what I was talking about when I said I didn't trust you to change your behavior. Put a pic of the switch in the listing and put the switch in the description of they aren't original. This isn't hard and lazieness isn't an excuse here, you obviously have the work ethic to harvest from a ton of boards and even to replace switches so it should be no problem for you to properly list your items, but I suppose properly listing your items would mean you couldn't make as much money off of some schmuck that didn't think to message you before hand about the switches.

EDIT: pregnancy tests for men will show positive if you have some rare medical condition. Men can get pregnant as well but I suspect you aren't a mature enough person for such a nuanced discussion.

andj00

17 May 2020, 22:49

zrrion wrote:

To quote your IIc listing "The keyboard unit was malfunctioning and has been repaired with new parts." What parts are we talking about here? Did you replace the dead ambers with working ambers? Did you replace them with a different alps switch?
This isn't you being more transparent its you continuing to be needlessly vague in what I can only assume is an attempt to swindle someone out of their money. What else could it be if, when confronted about how shady it is to not list that you removed and replaced the switches with switches of a different type, you added a vague sentence that doesn't address the concern that was voiced? This is what I was talking about when I said I didn't trust you to change your behavior. Put a pic of the switch in the listing and put the switch in the description of they aren't original. This isn't hard and lazieness isn't an excuse here, you obviously have the work ethic to harvest from a ton of boards and even to replace switches so it should be no problem for you to properly list your items, but I suppose properly listing your items would mean you couldn't make as much money off of some schmuck that didn't think to message you before hand about the switches.
Thanks for your input. Sorry that it’s not up to your standard.

jsahmiens

17 May 2020, 22:54

you're being called out for said shady business and again, have nothing to say in return. I completely agree with zrrion, you need to update your posts, else it's clear as day that you're trying to scam people.

andj00

17 May 2020, 22:56

jsahmiens wrote:
you're being called out for said shady business and again, have nothing to say in return. I completely agree with zrrion, you need to update your posts, else it's clear as day that you're trying to scam people.
Yup, totally trying to scam people. :roll:

andj00

17 May 2020, 23:06

zrrion wrote:
To quote your IIc listing "The keyboard unit was malfunctioning and has been repaired with new parts."
Did you forget the rest of the quote? I can provide it for you here, it went a little something like this:

"For any inquiries, please message me with questions."

TheInverseKey

17 May 2020, 23:07

When you buy a vintage computer on the internet buyers expect to get the original machine with all original parts. If you are modifying the machine from it's original condition then you should go into full detail of what you replaced so that the buyer know the true condition of the machine.

I agree also with Zirron not explaining the full condition of the machine is scam like behaviour. Now not posting the full condition of any item on Ebay will open yourself up to criticism clearly and reports/charge backs.

TheInverseKey

17 May 2020, 23:08

andj00 wrote:
zrrion wrote:
To quote your IIc listing "The keyboard unit was malfunctioning and has been repaired with new parts."
Did you forget the rest of the quote? I can provide it for you here, it went a little something like this:

Buyers shouldn't have to go out of their way to understand what they are buying and if they are be deceived.

andj00

17 May 2020, 23:12

TheInverseKey wrote:
17 May 2020, 23:07
When you buy a vintage computer on the internet buyers expect to get the original machine with all original parts. If you are modifying the machine from it's original condition then you should go into full detail of what you replaced so that the buyer know the true condition of the machine.

I agree also with Zirron not explaining the full condition of the machine is scam like behaviour. Now not posting the full condition of any item on Ebay will open yourself up to criticism clearly and reports/charge backs.
There is a disclaimer that says keyboard parts have been replaced and they can message me with any questions.

I don't need to change the formatting of my items to appease Deskthority users, because believe it or not, there is a whole world of vintage Apple enthusiasts that just like these units for collection purposes or to relive some of their favorite childhood games, not just to harvest switches from.

If a Deskthority user wants to buy something off me, I suspect them to look at the warning "The keyboard unit was malfunctioning and has been repaired with new parts. For any inquiries, please message me with questions." and message me from there. If they don't take that upon themselves, too bad.

I think we're done here, we're splitting hairs at this point.

andj00

17 May 2020, 23:16

TheInverseKey wrote:
17 May 2020, 23:08
andj00 wrote:
zrrion wrote:

Buyers shouldn't have to go out of their way to understand what they are buying and if they are be deceived.
If a buyer read my listing, they would know they are buying an item that had parts of it keyboard replaced. Not sure what you're suggesting.

jsahmiens

17 May 2020, 23:17

why are you choosing to be difficult and leave this "message me if you have any questions" clause? because you're trying to scam people.

let me make it clear for you and summarize what has already been mentioned. it is not difficult to add one line to your listing that describes what modifications you made. yet you choose not to include it. by intentionally not including it, you are choosing to open yourself up to potential buyers who will think it is the original machine, and will be screwed because of your "no returns" clause. they don't have the switches they're looking for because you removed them without mentioning it, and you have their money. that is a textbook scam, lol.
Last edited by jsahmiens on 17 May 2020, 23:37, edited 2 times in total.

andj00

17 May 2020, 23:19

jsahmiens wrote:
17 May 2020, 23:17
why are you choosing to be difficult and leave this "message me if you have any questions" clause? because youre try to scam people.

let me make it clear for you and summarize what has already been mentioned. it is not difficult to add one line to your listing that describes what modifications you made. yet you choose not to include it. by intentionally not including it, you are opening yourself up to potential buyers who will think it is the original machine, and will be screwed because of your "no returns" clause. that is a textbook scam, lol.
I've laid out my reasoning. Also, as of a minute ago I made sure to include in the title "(READ DESCRIPTION)". Hope that helps.

jsahmiens

17 May 2020, 23:23

andj00 wrote:

I don't need to change the formatting of my items to appease Deskthority users, because believe it or not, there is a whole world of vintage Apple enthusiasts that just like these units for collection purposes or to relive some of their favorite childhood games, not just to harvest switches from.
like you said, apple enthusiasts wouldn't care about what switches are in the unit. so why not leave information about the switches there? they would read it and, since it doesn't apply to them, would not care.

I'm willing to bet that a large portion of people interested in apple iics (and 5140s, for that matter) are keyboard enthusiasts, so why open up to the possibility of swindling them?
Last edited by jsahmiens on 17 May 2020, 23:25, edited 1 time in total.

zrrion

17 May 2020, 23:24

andj00 wrote:
I don't need to change the formatting of my items to appease Deskthority users
Don't post here then? You've got your reddit account and your youtube account remember? No reason for you to post here if all you do is low-effort for sales that are so low effort that it might as well be a scam.

Edit: ninja'd

andj00

17 May 2020, 23:26

jsahmiens wrote:
>I don't need to change the formatting of my items to appease Deskthority users, because believe it or not, there is a whole world of vintage Apple enthusiasts that just like these units for collection purposes or to relive some of their favorite childhood games, not just to harvest switches from.

like you said, apple enthusiasts wouldn't care about what switches are in the unit. so why not leave information about the switches there? they would read it and, since it doesn't apply to them, would not care.

I'm willing to bet that a large portion of people interested in apple iics (and 5140s, for that matter) are keyboard enthusiasts, so why open up to the possibility of swindling them?
Here are the steps one takes:

1. They look at the item, it says READ DESCRIPTION.

2. They read the description, it says "The keyboard unit was malfunctioning and has been repaired with new parts.
For any inquiries, please message me with questions."

3. They message me if they are interested in knowing more information about the keyboard.

Could you please explain to me where I'm swindling someone?
Last edited by andj00 on 17 May 2020, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.

andj00

17 May 2020, 23:27

zrrion wrote:
17 May 2020, 23:24

Don't post here then?
Nah, I think I'll continue posting here. Thanks though.

Edit: you can choose to ignore my posts though! :D

jsahmiens

17 May 2020, 23:30

andj00 wrote:
jsahmiens wrote:
>I don't need to change the formatting of my items to appease Deskthority users, because believe it or not, there is a whole world of vintage Apple enthusiasts that just like these units for collection purposes or to relive some of their favorite childhood games, not just to harvest switches from.

2. They read the description, it says "The keyboard unit was malfunctioning and has been repaired with new parts.

3. They message me if they are interested in knowing more information about the keyboard.

I've been explaining but I think you just don't get it, or ever will lol.

andj00

17 May 2020, 23:31

jsahmiens wrote:
17 May 2020, 23:30
andj00 wrote:
jsahmiens wrote:

I've been explaining but I think you just don't get it, or ever will lol.
Cool, so let's agree to disagree. Sorry that I couldn't meet your standards.

zrrion

17 May 2020, 23:41

BTW, what is in that IIc? you never responded to that? Sorry that disclosing that information would ruin your scam attempt, but on the plus side it would live up to my standards.

kelvinhall05

17 May 2020, 23:42

lol this thread has become even more a train wreck.

I am not gonna side with anyone here, I think both sides of this argument are ridiculous. Andj00 isn't directly scamming someone, but leaving out critical information (even if he is willing to give it) is a dick move. Kind of like a car dealership not telling someone buying a used car about a massive oil leak, but oh, they're willing to tell them if they ask!

On the other hand, attacking him for having prices that, from what I can tell, are in line with the rest of the market? Cmon guys. You attack him but not the ebay listings with broken Model Ms for $250? Jeez.

This thread is a shitshow, but please keep arguing since it's fucking hilarious.

mcmaxmcmc

17 May 2020, 23:43

andj00 wrote:
jsahmiens wrote:
Welp, the man himself said it. Clear as day.

andj00

17 May 2020, 23:44

mcmaxmcmc wrote:
17 May 2020, 23:43
andj00 wrote:
jsahmiens wrote:
Welp, the man himself said it. Clear as day.
Indeed!

mcmaxmcmc

17 May 2020, 23:45

kelvinhall05 wrote:
On the other hand, attacking him for having prices that, from what I can tell, are in line with the rest of the market?
I've already laid down my evidence that they aren't.

andj00

17 May 2020, 23:46

zrrion wrote:
17 May 2020, 23:41
BTW, what is in that IIc? you never responded to that? Sorry that disclosing that information would ruin your scam attempt, but on the plus side it would live up to my standards.
Oh didn’t see you asked, my deepest apologies. I’d be happy to answer that question for you, curious potential customer.

The Amber Alps switches were replaced with White Dampened Alps switches in this specific unit.

Thanks for your inquiry!

kelvinhall05

17 May 2020, 23:47

mcmaxmcmc wrote:
kelvinhall05 wrote:
On the other hand, attacking him for having prices that, from what I can tell, are in line with the rest of the market?
Pff I dunno man, they certainly aren't prices that I'd want to pay, but I see plenty of listings with stuff equally priced. He isn't charging too much, it feels to me like he's just waiting for someone who doesn't care about getting the best deal on earth to walk up and buy some Ambers or whatever to put in their build. I see it on Reddit a lot.

andj00

17 May 2020, 23:47

mcmaxmcmc wrote:
kelvinhall05 wrote:
Yeah, full disclosure, I’m now selling my Ambers for $10 more than he wants me to. Lock me up in the cell.

zrrion

17 May 2020, 23:53

andj00 wrote:
The Amber Alps switches were replaced with White Dampened Alps switches in this specific unit.
You gonna update the listing with that info, after all, you've already typed it up here it would be a simple copy paste and the listing would be good to go?
No way in hell I'll buy dampened creams for 130usd though, I don't want to hop on the "prices are too high" bandwagon because I don't pay attention to the market rate for anything and can't speak with authority on the matter, but this is certainly way too high for dampened cream, you would be better off selling the thing without switches IMO.

andj00

17 May 2020, 23:56

zrrion wrote:
17 May 2020, 23:53
andj00 wrote:
You gonna update the listing with that info, after all, you've already typed it up here it would be a simple copy paste and the listing would be good to go?
No way in hell I'll buy dampened creams for 130usd though, I don't want to hop on the "prices are too high" bandwagon because I don't pay attention to the market rate for anything and can't speak with authority on the matter, but this is certainly way too high for dampened cream, you would be better off selling the thing without switches IMO.
Nope you just experienced what it’s like to be a customer. You read something you cared about, you asked about it and got your answer.

Thanks again for your input.

EnthusiastDude

18 May 2020, 00:40

kelvinhall05 wrote:

I am not gonna side with anyone here, I think both sides of this argument are ridiculous. Andj00 isn't directly scamming someone, but leaving out critical information (even if he is willing to give it) is a dick move. Kind of like a car dealership not telling someone buying a used car about a massive oil leak, but oh, they're willing to tell them if they ask!

On the other hand, attacking him for having prices that, from what I can tell, are in line with the rest of the market? Cmon guys. You attack him but not the ebay listings with broken Model Ms for $250? Jeez.

This thread is a shitshow, but please keep arguing since it's fucking hilarious.
He has to be the most reasonable here, I really think that the prices are high, but there are definitely people who'd pay that. Maybe not on DT.

On the other hand, leaving out information that's obviously important for a big portion of buyers is just a very bad move and you can't justify that. You could easily add a picture with a keycap off if you're really too lazy to include it in the description.
And one more thing: please don't make a business out of a hobby.

andj00

18 May 2020, 00:45

EnthusiastDude wrote:
18 May 2020, 00:40
kelvinhall05 wrote:

He has to be the most reasonable here, I really think that the prices are high, but there are definitely people who'd pay that. Maybe not on DT.

On the other hand, leaving out information that's obviously important for a big portion of buyers is just a very bad move and you can't justify that. You could easily add a picture with a keycap off if you're really too lazy to include it in the description.
And one more thing: please don't make a business out of a hobby.
All I can say is I've heard everyone's thoughts. And thankfully it's just a hobby. My personal work is mentally draining, so it's nice to use my hands to do something that doesn't require mental stimulation haha.

Return to “For sale”