Tried to sell 62 Amber Alps for $200 (after having already listed other items separately) and then this happened...

andj00

16 May 2020, 05:50

edit [tldr]: sElLiNg AmBeR aLpZ 4 $200 lulz
Last edited by andj00 on 18 May 2020, 00:19, edited 13 times in total.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

16 May 2020, 07:26

My guy...

mcmaxmcmc

16 May 2020, 07:36

I mean, you can just make a thread about all of the things you're selling... no? That'd certainly be more convenient.

Also, these prices are hilarious, but unfortunately, the comedy has turned stale now... you might wanna give something a change.

andj00

16 May 2020, 08:18

mcmaxmcmc wrote:
I mean, you can just make a thread about all of the things you're selling... no? That'd certainly be more convenient.

Also, these prices are hilarious, but unfortunately, the comedy has turned stale now... you might wanna give something a change.
Oh I can certainly combine everything into one post. Apologies for the inconvenience. I’ll go ahead and condense.

andj00

16 May 2020, 08:19

//gainsborough wrote:
16 May 2020, 07:26
My guy...

Against the rules? Apologies, will condense into one posting. Didn’t mean to be annoying.

andj00

16 May 2020, 08:25

mcmaxmcmc wrote:
Also, It’s been over a year since someone posted loose Ambers on this forum. The last person to post Apple IIc’s asked $275 each.

Don’t really know what you find so funny. Do you have a good cheap source for loose Alps switches you can refer us all to?

mcmaxmcmc

16 May 2020, 08:48

andj00 wrote:
mcmaxmcmc wrote:
Also, It’s been over a year since someone posted loose Ambers on this forum. The last person to post Apple IIc’s asked $275 each.

Don’t really know what you find so funny. Do you have a good cheap source for loose Alps switches you can refer us all to?
It's ironic that reddit mechmarket, where customs people would usually buy switches and would pay high sums for them (note the meme prices of vintage blacks) have these at way lower prices.
I'd also like a link to see the $275 IIc's, just to see who's nuts enough to buy them at that price. I doubt it actually sold.

But you know what's funnier? You also post over there at r/mm too. You know better than that.

As for cheap Alps sources, I just look around eBay for boards that have them, and do some desoldering. That's what you've been doing too, but I guess you want profit more than switches -- more than most of anything keyboard related.

andj00

16 May 2020, 08:54

mcmaxmcmc wrote:
andj00 wrote:
mcmaxmcmc wrote:

It's ironic that reddit mechmarket, where customs people would usually buy switches and would pay high sums for them (note the meme prices of vintage blacks) have these at way lower prices.
I'd also like a link to see the $275 IIc's, just to see who's nuts enough to buy them at that price. I doubt it actually sold.

But you know what's funnier? You also post over there at r/mm too. You know better than that.

As for cheap Alps sources, I just look around eBay for boards that have them, and do some desoldering. That's what you've been doing too, but I guess you want profit more than switches -- more than most of anything keyboard related.
As someone who looks around eBay, you should probably know how much an Apple IIc A2S4100 costs.

The mechmarket posting you're referring to is the one that sold 62 switches for $75 right? You do realize that is not the going rate for Amber alps. If that's not the one you're referring to, are you referring to the one that was listed at $225 then dropped to $175? I'd like to see all these Ambers you're referring to.

What's funny? I shouldn't post things to mechmarket? I should only post to deskthority? I should know better than to post in both forums? Thank you master, thank you for telling me what I should and shouldn't do with my life. Wasn’t aware you ran the show here.

Here is the link you requested: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=23822&p=463733&hilit=amber#p463733

I'd like to see all your links to the cheap Amber alps on mechmarket please.

Thanks.

Edit: Also I guess my time spent tracking down these vintage parts, desoldering and cleaning them at the buyer’s convenience isn't worth anything. :lol:

mcmaxmcmc

16 May 2020, 10:01

andj00 wrote:
mcmaxmcmc wrote:
andj00 wrote:

As someone who looks around eBay, you should probably know how much an Apple IIc A2S4100 costs.

The mechmarket posting you're referring to is the one that sold 62 switches for $75 right? You do realize that is not the going rate for Amber alps. If that's not the one you're referring to, are you referring to the one that was listed at $225 then dropped to $175? I'd like to see all these Ambers you're referring to.

What's funny? I shouldn't post things to mechmarket? I should only post to deskthority? I should know better than to post in both forums? Thank you master, thank you for telling me what I should and shouldn't do with my life.

Here is the link you requested: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=23822&p=463733&hilit=amber#p463733

Thanks.

Edit: Also I guess my time spent desoldering and cleaning isn't worth anything. :lol:

:geek:
Of course. But if they're priced as such, have you ever wondered why the listings are still up? Maybe it's because... they're too expensive?

And of course, cheaper ones are already sold, because they're actually reasonable -- or Hell, even a good deal.

The mechmarket posting you're referring to is the one that sold 62 switches for $75 right? You do realize that is not the going rate for Amber alps.
To everybody else that may be reading this thread, here's the 62x Amber Alps for $75 on r/mm: https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/com ... ange_vint/

Of course it's not a normal price. Even I bought it. But here's a more reasonable one:
https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/com ... ars_apple/

I'm not saying that your prices on these Amber Alps are absurd, frankly there has been worse cases, though they are high. It's kind of ironic...
are you referring to the one that was listed at $225 then dropped to $175?
I wonder why the seller dropped the prices down... Surely, it wasn't because the price was too expensive, so he had to drop it down so he could actually sell it, could it? Weird that you also have them listed at the same price.

Well, hey, would you look at that. It hasn't sold. Wonder why...

With the same philosophy I should be able to sell my Dyesub AT101 Keycaps for $600 like that one listed on eBay a while back, right? Even then, I can list some crappy keycaps for $1000 for the hell of it, and then reason myself in another post that "since this post (that I previously made) had them priced at $1000, I should totally priced them at $1000!", right?

I won't be able to control you. In fact, it's better that I don't. But I can critique you. You can do whatever you want without any care, but certainly other people will judge.

I guess my time spent desoldering and cleaning isn't worth anything.
Should've already taken that into consideration when you bought the IIc you got the Ambers from. Of course, there's labor involved, but it's not even that much. You have a desoldering station, vacuum and all that. It takes, what, five minutes for you to desolder? Yeah, I don't think that'd make a significant portion of your price. You bought the IIc and can't sell the switches from it for profit when labor is included? Then you've already bought the IIc for too much anyway. Boo-hoo, go cry in the corner.

What's funny? I shouldn't post things to mechmarket? I should only post to deskthority? I should know better than to post in both forums?
Well, I'm not stopping you. It's certainly fine with me, but you might be hitting the wrong audience here... but hey, what do I know. It's certainly fine for you to post in both forums, as that will increase your exposure. But that's like selling pregnancy tests to men, it's rare that they'll need them, and it'll certainly make you look like an idiot if they don't need them.

Thank you master, thank you for telling me what I should and shouldn't do with my life.
Well, I won't be doing that, but I do wish your parents/guardian at least teach you some morals and etiquette... guess they didn't do that, not enough anyway.

andj00

16 May 2020, 10:12

mcmaxmcmc wrote:
andj00 wrote:
mcmaxmcmc wrote:

What's funny? I shouldn't post things to mechmarket? I should only post to deskthority? I should know better than to post in both forums? Thank you master, thank you for telling me what I should and shouldn't do with my life.

Thanks.

Edit: Also I guess my time spent desoldering and cleaning isn't worth anything. :lol:

:geek:
Of course. But if they're priced as such, have you ever wondered why the listings are still up? Maybe it's because... they're too expensive?

And of course, cheaper ones are already sold, because they're actually reasonable -- or Hell, even a good deal.

The mechmarket posting you're referring to is the one that sold 62 switches for $75 right? You do realize that is not the going rate for Amber alps.
To everybody else that may be reading this thread, here's the 62x Amber Alps for $75 on r/mm: https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/com ... ange_vint/

Of course it's not a normal price. Even I bought it. But here's a more reasonable one:
https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/com ... ars_apple/

I'm not saying that your prices on these Amber Alps are absurd, frankly there has been worse cases, though they are high. It's kind of ironic...
are you referring to the one that was listed at $225 then dropped to $175?
I wonder why the seller dropped the prices down... Surely, it wasn't because the price was too expensive, so he had to drop it down so he could actually sell it, could it? Weird that you also have them listed at the same price.

Well, hey, would you look at that. It hasn't sold. Wonder why...

With the same philosophy I should be able to sell my Dyesub AT101 Keycaps for $600 like that one listed on eBay a while back, right? Even then, I can list some crappy keycaps for $1000 for the hell of it, and then reason myself in another post that "since this post (that I previously made) had them priced at $1000, I should totally priced them at $1000!", right?

I won't be able to control you. In fact, it's better that I don't. But I can critique you. You can do whatever you want without any care, but certainly other people will judge.

I guess my time spent desoldering and cleaning isn't worth anything.
Should've already taken that into consideration when you bought the IIc you got the Ambers from. Of course, there's labor involved, but it's not even that much. You have a desoldering station, vacuum and all that. It takes, what, five minutes for you to desolder? Yeah, I don't think that'd make a significant portion of your price. You bought the IIc and can't sell the switches from it for profit when labor is included? Then you've already bought the IIc for too much anyway. Boo-hoo, go cry in the corner.

What's funny? I shouldn't post things to mechmarket? I should only post to deskthority? I should know better than to post in both forums?
Well, I'm not stopping you. It's certainly fine with me, but you might be hitting the wrong audience here... but hey, what do I know. It's certainly fine for you to post in both forums, as that will increase your exposure. But that's like selling pregnancy tests to men, it's rare that they'll need them, and it'll certainly make you look like an idiot if they don't need them.

Thank you master, thank you for telling me what I should and shouldn't do with my life.
Well, I won't be doing that, but I do wish your parents/guardian at least teach you some morals and etiquette... guess they didn't do that, not enough anyway.
Thanks for your input. You’re pretty well spoken for a 17 year old.

mcmaxmcmc

16 May 2020, 10:47

andj00 wrote:

Take that to heart, considering that even a 17-year-old lashed a criticism like this to you. :?

You gotta change, man. And it better be for the better.

andj00

16 May 2020, 10:52

mcmaxmcmc wrote:
andj00 wrote:

Take that to heart, considering that even a 17-year-old lashed a criticism like this to you. :?

If someone feels my prices are high they can send me an offer. I’ve made that clear in my condensed post. Thanks for your time.

forter4

16 May 2020, 18:39

mcmaxmcmc wrote:
andj00 wrote:
mcmaxmcmc wrote:

Most people don't have the know-how (although, it is easy), or the time to desolder and clean switches themselves. Not sure why you're getting on a guy for trying to make some money doing the tedious work of desolderings and cleaning all these switches.

Now I'm not sure what he was pricing the amber alps at, but from what I've seen, his other prices were in line with the market. For instance, his blue alps which are at least 9/10, were about $2.50 a pop, which is in line with what I've seen from other people selling good condition 9/10+ blue alps on the boards

forter4

16 May 2020, 18:50

mcmaxmcmc wrote:

He also cleans them...that process is super tedious and time consuming
That analogy doesn't really apply at all. Men have 100% no reason to buy a pregnancy test whereas just about everyone on here would be interested in what he has to sell. Whether or not it's the right price is a different argument
Seems a little unnecessary. Probably the only thing you can maybe have a legitimate gripe about is him posting a multiple threads in a short time span

forter4

16 May 2020, 18:52

mcmaxmcmc wrote:
andj00 wrote:

Well, other than him posting a lot, your criticism is unfounded

mcmaxmcmc

17 May 2020, 02:15

forter4 wrote:
mcmaxmcmc wrote:
andj00 wrote:

Most people don't have the know-how (although, it is easy), or the time to desolder and clean switches themselves. Not sure why you're getting on a guy for trying to make some money doing the tedious work of desolderings and cleaning all these switches.

Now I'm not sure what he was pricing the amber alps at, but from what I've seen, his other prices were in line with the market. For instance, his blue alps which are at least 9/10, were about $2.50 a pop, which is in line with what I've seen from other people selling good condition 9/10+ blue alps on the boards
I would understand that he is trying to make some money off keyboards (I do it myself occasionally), and that desoldering and cleaning is tedious, but when 42/50 of Anj00's posts in Deskthority are in the "For Sale" thread, with none of the other 8 showing any interests in the hobby itself, it really just looks like he's exploiting the community.

Also, do you really think he actually does more work than just desoldering? In his listings shown there are clearly some dust remaining on the switches. It isn't even as tedious as

I have very high doubts that the switches are actually in that good of a condition. Just remember, the 9/10 is from a guy who is blatantly flipping things and clearly just tags that in the description for it to be more attractive. I doubt he actually knows what "good" Alps feels like.

Also, $2.5 for Blue Alps? Psssh. They don't even sell for $2! Please prove me wrong, because I have plenty of evidence against that. Same goes for the $0.6 for the bamboo White Alps and the $0.8 on the pine variety. Laughable.

I'd say Ambers go around for $2.8-2.9. With it being $2.9, the prices for a batch of 62 goes for a respectable $180. Add some desoldering work to it would being it up to about $192. The $200 he has them up right now is still a little bit high, but at least it wasn't so blatant as the $225 he had on previously.

This isn't even including his antics on keycaps, which I can go on and on about, but I'll keep it short for now.

mcmaxmcmc

17 May 2020, 02:23

He also cleans them...that process is super tedious and time consuming
I doubt he did.
That analogy doesn't really apply at all. Men have 100% no reason to buy a pregnancy test whereas just about everyone on here would be interested in what he has to sell. Whether or not it's the right price is a different argument
It does, but it's in such a rare, obscure, and specific case that you can count as negligible. Same case here. While people might look and be interested in his items, they can trace that item back on eBay and see the obvious price markup, and be disgusted by it. Again, blatantly flipping.
Seems a little unnecessary. Probably the only thing you can maybe have a legitimate gripe about is him posting a multiple threads in a short time span
Well, clearly you've read the whole thread, but I guess you didn't know why I even bothered myself to criticize him. Hopefully I've cleared it up since then.

mcmaxmcmc

17 May 2020, 02:28

forter4 wrote:
16 May 2020, 18:52
mcmaxmcmc wrote:
andj00 wrote:

Well, other than him posting a lot, your criticism is unfounded
Well, other than the lack of prior knowledge and the backstory behind the whole ordeal, your comment is certainly an ignorant one.

andj00

17 May 2020, 03:00

mcmaxmcmc wrote:
17 May 2020, 02:15
forter4 wrote:
mcmaxmcmc wrote:

I would understand that he is trying to make some money off keyboards (I do it myself occasionally), and that desoldering and cleaning is tedious, but when 42/50 of Anj00's posts in Deskthority are in the "For Sale" thread, with none of the other 8 showing any interests in the hobby itself, it really just looks like he's exploiting the community.

Also, do you really think he actually does more work than just desoldering? In his listings shown there are clearly some dust remaining on the switches. It isn't even as tedious as

I have very high doubts that the switches are actually in that good of a condition. Just remember, the 9/10 is from a guy who is blatantly flipping things and clearly just tags that in the description for it to be more attractive. I doubt he actually knows what "good" Alps feels like.

Also, $2.5 for Blue Alps? Psssh. They don't even sell for $2! Please prove me wrong, because I have plenty of evidence against that. Same goes for the $0.6 for the bamboo White Alps and the $0.8 on the pine variety. Laughable.

I'd say Ambers go around for $2.8-2.9. With it being $2.9, the prices for a batch of 62 goes for a respectable $180. Add some desoldering work to it would being it up to about $192. The $200 he has them up right now is still a little bit high, but at least it wasn't so blatant as the $225 he had on previously.

This isn't even including his antics on keycaps, which I can go on and on about, but I'll keep it short for now.
:lol: :lol: You do you kiddo.

enrique.aliaga

17 May 2020, 03:14

I’m with mcmax on this one. This guy’s prices for those keycap sets are ridiculous.

andj00

17 May 2020, 03:17

enrique.aliaga wrote:
17 May 2020, 03:14
I’m with mcmax on this one. This guy’s prices for those keycap sets are ridiculous.
Thanks for your input! :roll:

E3E

17 May 2020, 03:19

So, andj00 is acting like the arguments posed against him, all of which have sufficient evidence to support them, are invalid because of the age of the user who levied them?

Then resorting to underhanded jabs?

Yeah, you're a piece of shit with a superiority complex hiding a weak ego. I hope you wake up sometime soon for the sake of everyone you're trying to dupe as well as yourself.

andj00

17 May 2020, 03:24

E3E wrote:
17 May 2020, 03:19
So, andj00 is acting like the arguments posed against him, all of which have sufficient evidence to support them, are invalid because of the age of the user who levied them?

Then resorting to underhanded jabs?

Yeah, you're a piece of shit with a superiority complex hiding a weak ego. I hope you wake up sometime soon for the sake of everyone you're trying to dupe as well as yourself.
Underhanded jabs? Like when I was called idiotic, moronic and told that I've never felt good Alps before? lol

What else have I done?

zrrion

17 May 2020, 03:58

Can't really tell what else you've done when you have so few posts and no information about yourself in your profile. All we have to go on really is a bunch of for sale threads from a new account with no information or history behind it. Like, even spam bots will fill in information about age and what switches and keyboards they like. You don't even have an avatar. (or listed age for that matter :roll:)

andj00

17 May 2020, 04:01

zrrion wrote:
17 May 2020, 03:58
Can't really tell what else you've done when you have so few posts and no information about yourself in your profile. All we have to go on really is a bunch of for sale threads from a new account with no information or history behind it. Like, even spam bots will fill in information about age and what switches and keyboards they like. You don't even have an avatar. (or listed age for that matter :roll:)
That doesn't mean I'm not active in other communities. Go look at my 7 year old reddit profile. Go look at my youtube page with audio samples of all my keyboards.

edit: just filled out my profile information for those curious :D

zrrion

17 May 2020, 04:04

You are capable of putting that in your profile if you wanted, and I think it is a good idea to do so actually. My point is that your profile here appears to have almost no engagement with this forum that doesn't directly tie to money. That isn't a good look.

Edit: now you look like an account created yesterday instead of an account created 5 minutes ago, that's a start.

andj00

17 May 2020, 04:09

zrrion wrote:
17 May 2020, 04:04
You are capable of putting that in your profile if you wanted, and I think it is a good idea to do so actually. My point is that your profile here appears to have almost no engagement with this forum that doesn't directly tie to money. That isn't a good look.

Edit: now you look like an account created yesterday instead of an account created 5 minutes ago, that's a start.
Thank you for your advice. I'm looking for an avatar now and then I'll be a true Deskthoritarian (is that correct?) haha

dogmantime

17 May 2020, 04:15

You could understand how people might perceive your behaviour within this community as cynical, right? You don't seem to give much of a hoot about your reputation here, and mostly seem only enthusiastic about overpricing your items. When people rightly called you out on it you've been nothing but sarcastic and snarky back so far, you do understand that we're not all idiots right? It would be good to not treat people as if so.

And for future reference please stop abusing the word "pristine", I've seen you use that adjective for boards which have frankly been quite dirty from the pictures you've posted, that is not what pristine means and it isn't honest to pawn boards off like that.

andj00

17 May 2020, 04:18

dogmantime wrote:
17 May 2020, 04:15
You could understand how people might perceive your behaviour within this community as cynical, right? You don't seem to give much of a hoot about your reputation here, and mostly seem only enthusiastic about overpricing your items. When people rightly called you out on it you've been nothing but sarcastic and snarky back so far, you do understand that we're not all idiots right? It would be good to not treat people as if so.

And for future reference please stop abusing the word "pristine", I've seen you use that adjective for boards which have frankly been quite dirty from the pictures you've posted, that is not what pristine means and it isn't honest to pawn boards off like that.
And the other users didn't say anything rude to me to begin with? I don't see you denouncing them for their awful words. That's not right on their part. How do you think I felt when I was treated that way?

Also, noted about your thoughts on the word pristine. I'll take that into consideration thanks.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

17 May 2020, 04:28

Prices aside, what’s more telling of character is the way you conduct yourself in the face of disagreement. You gotta understand that these off-the-wall remarks you are making are to potential buyers - and worse, is part of a small sample size of comments on this website for which serve as the basis for how members will judge you as a seller and a person.

I think a lot of the backlash coming your direction right now comes from how dismissive you are reacting to some pretty valid criticism.

Be respectful and open minded, and the sentiment will be reciprocated.

Return to “For sale”