[SOLD] [US-OR] Varmilo VA68Mg Magnesium Keyboard with NOS SMK 2nd Gen Clicky Switches (MX Mount) and Custom SMK68 PCB

VelonicV

23 Mar 2021, 08:04

Hey y'all,

Today what I have for sale is something I think is quite special: a Varmilo VA68Mg keyboard with new old stock SMK 2nd Gen Clicky MX mount switches, powered by the SMK68 PCB from LFKeyboards.

The VA68Mg is interesting because the case is made out of a Magnesium alloy, rather than the standard aluminum, and is no longer being manufactured. Additionally, the keycaps are nice and thick dye-sub PBT that I think look (and sound) quite nice :)

The new old-stock SMK 2nd Gen Clicky switches (purchased from TaoBao before they sold out) are light, smooth, and have a very satisfying click, definitely in the top 3 for clicky switches for me. See Chyros's review of them here: https://youtu.be/2CGJ4dtgKVI?t=300

In order to eliminate their inherit spring ping, each switch was opened, its spring ends lubed, and re-assembled. This took a solid week to do, due to the difficulty of opening the switches and fragile parts involved, particularly during reassembly, but the end result sounds very nice (no ping at all).

The keyboard comes with the original packaging (see pictures), and hasn't seen much overall use (~1 month total over the course of 2 years).

There are a few minor issues to note: there's a minor scratch on the right side of the case, the custom SMK68 PCB USB plug doesn't exactly line up with the case (but it still entirely functional, just looks a bit weird), and due to the not 100% compatibility between SMK switches and MX plates the plate isn't 100% aligned (resulting in some slight height differences for some switches on the bottom row, partially fixed with some filler between the PCB and plate) and some of the switches might shift around a bit if heavily pressed on their sides. Please see pictures for more info.

Looking for $320 OBO.

Thanks for looking!

Spoiler:

Sold.
Last edited by VelonicV on 29 Mar 2021, 07:48, edited 6 times in total.

ddrfraser1

23 Mar 2021, 08:23

That’s a nice piece

Palatino

23 Mar 2021, 08:35

Small size, no RGB distraction, traditional colour scheme, SMK switches: that's almost my perfect keyboard! Very nice. If I hadn't got that Suntouch Junior from you, which is kind of similar to this, minus the build quality, I'd make an offer.

vdublove37

23 Mar 2021, 14:33

Awe man, if only this was a full-size! GLWS!

Palatino

23 Mar 2021, 17:08

The only thing I'd change about it is have Home and End instead of Insert and Delete, as personally I never use Insert, and much more often use Backspace than Delete.

VelonicV

26 Mar 2021, 08:34

Bump with price drop

Return to “For sale”