[SOLD] IBM 5251 Beamspring

TNT

20 Dec 2021, 17:27

:duck:
Last edited by TNT on 04 Apr 2022, 17:56, edited 7 times in total.

Muirium
µ

20 Dec 2021, 19:52

A comely beast.

But no controller? Are Xwhatsit controllers really that scarce now?

TNT

20 Dec 2021, 20:07

Muirium wrote:
20 Dec 2021, 19:52
A comely beast.

But no controller? Are Xwhatsit controllers really that scarce now?
I have one, but need it for the 5251 I use. They're still not really hard to come by afaik, at least on eBay there are several listings from overseas. That's why I thought it'd be not really necessary on my part to buy one just to sell it away immediately. You think that might be a dealbreaker for some people?

Muirium
µ

20 Dec 2021, 20:21

Just wondered, as this is the second or third Beamer I’ve seen listed for sale on DT in a row that doesn’t include the controller.

ro0llo

24 Dec 2021, 11:11

You can use pandrews controller, much cheaper. They work great and are compatible with QMK. I use them on my 3277 beamspring.

raoulduke-esq

24 Dec 2021, 14:44

ro0llo wrote:
24 Dec 2021, 11:11
You can use pandrews controller, much cheaper. They work great and are compatible with QMK. I use them on my 3277 beamspring.
I've tried both the SMD and TH versions of the pandrew controller; both are fantastic and extremely pro. Might have to go to multiple sources to get the parts for the TH version, but still WAY cheaper than buying an xwhatsit elsewhere.

TNT

12 Jan 2022, 23:51

Bump, still available

TNT

28 Jan 2022, 17:35

Bump, still available

Jacobalbertus1

01 Feb 2022, 14:00

the painting of that fantastic good condition plate kinda bother me, i clear coat them if they are not rusty

TNT

01 Feb 2022, 15:36

Sorry to hear that. I suppose almost everything is a matter of personal taste in this hobby, but I know why people are icky about preserving those very vintage boards. Seeing it more like a restauration, not a modernization and so on. Its front was in good condition (wouldn't call it fantastic tho), the back not so much, so it definitely needed treatment in some way.

Decided on this colour for two reasons: The paint I used is not some generic spraypaint, it's a "4-in-1" rust stopping enamel. Not a cheap product, and I had leftovers from a previous project, which I didn't want to let go to waste. The options were matte black and this one. The black color is very unpleasant to the touch and seems to attract dust and grime easily (sticks to the surface somehow). Secondly, I thought it couldn't hurt to bring a little bit of colour into it, since it's more of a minor detail when the whole thing is assembled (at least for me). I personally quite like the contrast between the caps and the parts of the plate that are visible. Especially on Beamsprings, where the gaps inbetween caps seem to be rather large.

If this is an absolute dealbraker for someone, I'm willing to completely disassemble both my 5251s and exchange the plates, if absolutely necessary :| . The one in my older 5251 truly is in fantastic good condition.

TNT

24 Feb 2022, 20:02

Bump, still available

TNT

09 Mar 2022, 20:11

Bump, still available

TNT

25 Mar 2022, 00:19

Bump, pricedrop

Return to “For sale”