[WTS US-IL] IBM Model M 1391401 Restored with Bolt Mod & New Membrane

TheForgottenKing

20 Jun 2022, 03:04

Hello everyone,

Up for sale I have an IBM Model M 1391401 from 1992.

Cosmetically, this keyboard is in near mint condition. The case and keycaps have almost no scratches, dirt, or wear. The steel backplate has been derusted and is also clean as pictured. The entire keyboard has been thorougly restored. There is only one notable cosmetic imperfection - the left shift key is a Unicomp replacement and so the coloring and font is slightly different (see picture 2, it's subtle). All other keys have their original legends, including the green Alt and SysRq keys and the tan numpad nav keys.

Functionally, this unit has been bolt modded with 8mm M2 bolts, washers, and nuts. This removes the one structural weakness of the M's, the plastic rivets that can fail over time and lead to the membrane losing tension. In addition, I have installed a new Unicomp membrane. This resets the key lifecycle back to the original 25 million rated presses. I have also installed a new rubber protective mat over the membrane to replace the old one, resulting in a deeper and less pingy sound. All keys are perfectly functional. Hairline stress cracks from the barrel plate being curved have been repaired. It comes with the original thick coiled detachable PS/2 cable. It either works natively over a PS/2 connector or using a cheap active converter. I use a $7 Monoprice keyboard and mouse PS/2 to USB converter off Amazon with no issues.

Pricing these is difficult, especially with the new parts, but seeing as some screw modded ones with old membranes just recently sold over on r/mechmarket for $140 and $145 I'll list this at $155 shipped with PayPal G&S or $140 local cash to Chicagoland or best offer.

I will have another one of these coming up soon in a slightly more modified but still good condition. I also have a Model M2 coming soon and a Varmilo VA87MC for sale now.

Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/4lJarKC, if you want any more I can definitely take some. My phone isn't the best and this leads to some pixelation.

I know this is my first post here, but I have some reputation over on Reddit at u/The_Forgotten_King on r/hardwareswap and r/thinkpadsforsale

Thanks for looking!

LambdaCore

29 Jun 2022, 15:57

Tiny chance it happens, but in about over a week's time if you still have it available I might be interested if you ship to the US

TheForgottenKing

26 Jul 2022, 06:03

LambdaCore wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 15:57
Tiny chance it happens, but in about over a week's time if you still have it available I might be interested if you ship to the US
Sorry for the late reply. This one sold but I have another one coming up. It's not in quite as good shape but it's still pretty nice. Missing the IBM and part number badge and so I'm working on replacing both, then I'll sell it for a bit less than this. And shipping to the US is included.

Return to “For sale”