[FS] IBM 8573-031 Portable P70 Laptop Keyboard

Icarium

19 Aug 2022, 10:32

I don't actually know exactly what this is anymore but I think it it's the keyboard from the title and I vaguely recall that it should have ALPS buckling spring switches. it has wiki/Alps_SKCP_series plate spring switches.

Make me an offer! I have been out of this game for too long to know what things are worth. :D
Last edited by Icarium on 21 Aug 2022, 17:26, edited 1 time in total.

AnnoyedWalrus

19 Aug 2022, 13:08

Damn, that's one pretty thing. Anyone know how hard it is to replace the connector on the cut cable?

I assume it is located in Germany, considering the layout and the location listed in your profile?

Icarium

19 Aug 2022, 13:11

Yes, I'm in Germany and afaik you can easily convert it to USB with a Teensy. Somebody on Discord sent a diagram how to wire it up at some point but I never did it. :oops:

AnnoyedWalrus

19 Aug 2022, 13:34

You're right, it does look fairly straightforward to convert it. I am interested but I don't know what one is worth and I really don't want to lowball you, so I would be very grateful if anyone could help to give me an approximate value of a keyboard like this.

dcopellino

20 Aug 2022, 15:42

They go for 150€+shipping on eBay. At least, so I sold mine (a spare one) in the beginning of the 2021 on eBay.
I love IBM p70 keyboards. The ALPS SKCP series switches feel a little like beamsprings' switches, or at least I think that was the intention of those who designed them, imho. They recall the click of the metal lid of a jar once it has been opened, as others have pointed out. Very satisfying clicky feedback.
It speaks the ps/2 protocol, so you wouldn't even need a teensy, but just an active ps/2 to usb converter to make it work on modern pcs, after wiring its RJ cable up.

The rating of the black variant would deserve a separate speech. Never seen one for sale so far.

AnnoyedWalrus

20 Aug 2022, 16:20

dcopellino wrote:
20 Aug 2022, 15:42
They go for 150€+shipping on eBay. At least, so I sold mine (a spare one) in the beginning of the 2021 on eBay.
I love IBM p70 keyboards. The ALPS SKCP series switches feel a little like beamsprings' switches, or at least I think that was the intention of those who designed them, imho. They recall the click of the metal lid of a jar once it has been opened, as others have pointed out. Very satisfying clicky feedback.
It speaks the ps/2 protocol, so you wouldn't even need a teensy, but just an active ps/2 to usb converter to make it work on modern pcs, after wiring its RJ cable up.

The rating of the black variant would deserve a separate speech. Never seen one for sale so far.
Wow, thank you for your help and interesting trivia! I would be happy to pay 150€ if that's acceptable to mr Icarium.

Muirium
µ

20 Aug 2022, 16:37

Alps buckling spring: pretty cool. 8-)

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

20 Aug 2022, 17:10

These have Alps Plate Spring switches

Icarium

21 Aug 2022, 17:25

daedalus wrote:
20 Aug 2022, 17:10