SOLD - [EU-NL] [H] IPCS Datacomp DFK-102 | Focus fk-555 (both blue Alps ) [W] PayPal / IBM boards

blu3beri-hhkb

13 Nov 2022, 12:44

Hi everyone!

Today I will be selling / trading two beautiful blue Alps boards.

I am looking for a good condition non-iso IBM model m (only square badge), ibm model f AT or ibm model m SSK (if it comes with a converter that would be a huge bonus!). I can do trades, or buy it only when I sold on of the boards.

Can also PM me on discord: blu3beri#2230

IPCS Datacomp DFK-102
- SOLD
- I am quite sure it is this model but there is a lack of any branding.
- https://imgur.com/a/9STqufi
- open for offer, as I have not seen many of these floating around.

Recently picked this up hoping I would be able to harvest the switches, but the board was in such good condition that I think someone else will have more use with the original board. It is a German ISO layout and therefore I can't really use it as I prefer ANSI. I am not too familiar with the grading of Alps, but from the ones that I have tried (like 7ish boards) this one is by far the best sounding and smoothest (take smooth maybe with a grain of salt it its difficult to check with a click switch for me).

Focus FK-555
- SOLD (traded for ibm model M SSK
- https://imgur.com/a/DB6G7TJ
- €200

Also recently picked this up from another seller here at Deskthority. My intention was also to harvest the switches, but the FK-555 is just too special / rare of a keyboard to destroy. It comes with some rust spots on the plate, see the pictures. It does not seem to affect anything but its worthwhile mentioning.
Last edited by blu3beri-hhkb on 20 Nov 2022, 21:52, edited 4 times in total.

Muirium
µ

13 Nov 2022, 13:55

I have 3 SSKs, so maybe I could spare one of them for one of these handsome boards…

blu3beri-hhkb

13 Nov 2022, 14:38

Muirium wrote:
I have 3 SSKs, so maybe I could spare one of them for one of these handsome boards…
I would not say no to that ;). Have some pictures? Cheers!

Peter#1369a

14 Nov 2022, 02:00

Messaged you on discord!

Polecat

14 Nov 2022, 03:10

What happened to imgur? Everything is appearing in giant size, as if it was rescaled for smart phones or something?

edit: nevermind, I must have left it zoomed in from a previous view. Beautiful keyboards, GLWS!

Muirium
µ

14 Nov 2022, 11:55

blu3beri-hhkb wrote:
Muirium wrote:
I'll need to take some when I’m home. Can't remember where I've posted them on DT… :lol:

The 3 SSKs are all different. One is NIB, which I'll keep as an heirloom SSK. The other two are in good cosmetic condition and work fine but could use the usual bolt or screw mod. One has more broken rivets than the other, mostly at the top right, making Print Screen etc. a bit light feeling.

How much restoration work are you up for? The iffy one was my first SSK and I used it as-is for a couple of years, no problem. But I know they can be better, so yes I'd want to restore it.

blu3beri-hhkb

14 Nov 2022, 13:44

Muirium wrote:
blu3beri-hhkb wrote:
Muirium wrote:
I'll need to take some when I’m home. Can't remember where I've posted them on DT… :lol:

The 3 SSKs are all different. One is NIB, which I'll keep as an heirloom SSK. The other two are in good cosmetic condition and work fine but could use the usual bolt or screw mod. One has more broken rivets than the other, mostly at the top right, making Print Screen etc. a bit light feeling.

How much restoration work are you up for? The iffy one was my first SSK and I used it as-is for a couple of years, no problem. But I know they can be better, so yes I'd want to restore it.
I have never done a bolt mod but I think I could it if I get more comfortable with the board.

Do you have a preference for which board? I have someone else interested in the fk-555, but since you were first it is your choice!

Muirium
µ

14 Nov 2022, 15:00

The Focus is the tastier of the two, for me. They're both handsome, though, so we can work something out once I've shot pics of my SSKs for you.

fohat
Elder Messenger

14 Nov 2022, 15:19

Muirium wrote:

One is NIB, which I'll keep as an heirloom SSK. The other two are in good cosmetic condition and work fine but could use the usual bolt or screw mod.
I bought one out of Cindy's crop of NIB SSKs what, ~8 years ago? It came out of the box with over half of its rivets broken, including almost all of them at one end.

At this point I have done quite a few bolt mods so it is no particular problem for me, although it is always fussy and aggravating.

Muirium
µ

14 Nov 2022, 15:26

Cindy was indeed the source for my NIB, too, though it’s in a better state with a really nice tight feel. A board like that you keep new in box as a time capsule for the ages. Well, if you’ve already got a regular SSK or two like me.

Muirium
µ

15 Nov 2022, 15:36

Scottish winter lighting warning:
Spoiler:
IMG_4431.jpg
IMG_4431.jpg (266.38 KiB) Viewed 3565 times
IMG_4427.jpg
IMG_4427.jpg (32.04 KiB) Viewed 3565 times
IMG_4424.jpg
IMG_4424.jpg (1018.45 KiB) Viewed 3565 times
IMG_4426.jpg
IMG_4426.jpg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 3565 times
IMG_4430.jpg
IMG_4430.jpg (604.64 KiB) Viewed 3565 times
IMG_4428.jpg
IMG_4428.jpg (39.01 KiB) Viewed 3565 times
IMG_4425.jpg
IMG_4425.jpg (291.02 KiB) Viewed 3565 times
Hard to even see the grey and blue label colours, I know! I'll try again when there's actual light. :roll:

Anyway, the Blue label one with the more modern SSK chassis and Lexmark label on the bottom is the one with more missing rivets; still works though and typing on it just now is just fine. Currently, I have its original IBM SDL controller installed, and run it through my Soarer converter.

The Grey label is running Phosphorglow's replacement controller, which has a USB B socket on the back. Think I've got Soarer's controller firmware running on that one now. That controller is solid, I've used it for years, but I don't mind the SDL route myself. It can be installed in either SSK; or indeed any Model M.

The caps are all IBM original two-piece SSK specific with front legends; with the obvious exception of the red Escape key, which is just there for trim: I can put the original Escape key back. Oh, and that little Help key instead of Insert; same story there. :P

The lighting on the last pic is nearest their true colour: Model M beige.

I’m up for trading the blue label one for the Focus, and I’ll throw in the programmable USB native Phosphorglow controller as well as its IBM original and curly cable. Plus native caps, of course. You can have the red Escape if you want it.

It’s a quality board. Tinnie scored it for me from Hong Kong some years ago. My first SSK, I was well pleased.
Spoiler:

blu3beri-hhkb

15 Nov 2022, 17:53

Muirium wrote:
15 Nov 2022, 15:36
Scottish winter lighting warning:
Spoiler:
IMG_4431.jpg
IMG_4427.jpg
IMG_4424.jpg
IMG_4426.jpg
IMG_4430.jpg
IMG_4428.jpg
IMG_4425.jpg
Hard to even see the grey and blue label colours, I know! I'll try again when there's actual light. :roll:

Anyway, the Blue label one with the more modern SSK chassis and Lexmark label on the bottom is the one with more missing rivets; still works though and typing on it just now is just fine. Currently, I have its original IBM SDL controller installed, and run it through my Soarer converter.

The Grey label is running Phosphorglow's replacement controller, which has a USB B socket on the back. Think I've got Soarer's controller firmware running on that one now. That controller is solid, I've used it for years, but I don't mind the SDL route myself. It can be installed in either SSK; or indeed any Model M.

The caps are all IBM original two-piece SSK specific with front legends; with the obvious exception of the red Escape key, which is just there for trim: I can put the original Escape key back. Oh, and that little Help key instead of Insert; same story there. :P

The lighting on the last pic is nearest their true colour: Model M beige.

I’m up for trading the blue label one for the Focus, and I’ll throw in the programmable USB native Phosphorglow controller as well as its IBM original and curly cable. Plus native caps, of course. You can have the red Escape if you want it.

It’s a quality board. Tinnie scored it for me from Hong Kong some years ago. My first SSK, I was well pleased.
Spoiler:
Oh they look amazing! I do have a small preference for the grey one. Would that be possible instead of the blue label one? I can add some money or cover shipping or something. If you would rather keep it I am also okay with the blue one :).

Great that it comes with the converter also, big plus!

Muirium
µ

15 Nov 2022, 17:57

I just like the aesthetics of the grey one a little more, so yes I’d rather keep it. You can definitely have the Phosphorglow controller: I found it very useful, but the aesthete in me still prefers the OG curly SDL cable on my desk! :lol:

blu3beri-hhkb

15 Nov 2022, 18:30

Muirium wrote:
15 Nov 2022, 17:57
I just like the aesthetics of the grey one a little more, so yes I’d rather keep it. You can definitely have the Phosphorglow controller: I found it very useful, but the aesthete in me still prefers the OG curly SDL cable on my desk! :lol:
Alright, makes 100% sense! Do you have like a Discord to finish everything up, with address and all?

Cheers!

Muirium
µ

15 Nov 2022, 23:31

PMed.

Muirium
µ

19 Nov 2022, 21:37

The trade is done. Looking forward to my first Focus, and first OG blue Alps keyboard, and you'll love your first SSK. I sent the better mechanism (I'd swapped them years ago and forgot), besides, I've something in mind for my workhorse SSK, where rivets aren't a problem. To be continued…

Muirium
µ

03 Dec 2022, 11:51

I've got the 555 in my hands now, and duly upgraded its caps. It's aye a looker! Very happy with my trade. Pics here.

Return to “For sale”