SA RETRO and SA Nuclear Data

phinix

02 Nov 2017, 21:57

Looking to buy these two sets: SA RETRO and SA Nuclear Data.
Anyone?
Last edited by phinix on 05 Dec 2017, 10:25, edited 1 time in total.

phinix

05 Dec 2017, 10:25

bump

zslane

05 Dec 2017, 18:49

Nobody wants to give up their SA Retro, and Matt3o won't rerun it. Those of us who would love to get our hands on it now are basically screwed.

j0d1

05 Dec 2017, 19:34

Why not rerun it?
It seems like everyone wants it...

phinix

05 Dec 2017, 21:02

zslane wrote: Nobody wants to give up their SA Retro, and Matt3o won't rerun it. Those of us who would love to get our hands on it now are basically screwed.
I dont get it.

Why can't we re-run it?

zslane

05 Dec 2017, 21:09

Matt3o refuses to rerun it for reasons best explained by Matt3o. I think it has to do with Not Enough Demand and the fact that never rerunning it makes existing sets Special (because they are so rare), a notion he likes.

"We" can't rerun it because SP won't rerun it without Matt3o's consent. However, if you want to design a new version of it with your own PETSCII graphics (cuz I wouldn't be keen on the set without the PETSCII kit), by all means go for it and see if you can get someone to run the group buy.

phinix

05 Dec 2017, 21:49

zslane wrote: Matt3o refuses to rerun it for reasons best explained by Matt3o. I think it has to do with Not Enough Demand and the fact that never rerunning it makes existing sets Special (because they are so rare), a notion he likes.

"We" can't rerun it because SP won't rerun it without Matt3o's consent. However, if you want to design a new version of it with your own PETSCII graphics (cuz I wouldn't be keen on the set without the PETSCII kit), by all means go for it and see if you can get someone to run the group buy.
Could we design our own and get Massdrop to run it?

zslane

05 Dec 2017, 21:57

Getting Massdrop to run something is like campaigning for public office. First you have to put the word out (an interest check) and demonstrate enough support from the community to catch Massdrop's interest. In any event, depending on their relationship with Matt3o, they may elect not to run an SA Retro clone out of respect for him. But there's no way to know for sure without giving it a try (or at least putting out feelers with an e-mail to Yanbo).

Phenix
-p

05 Dec 2017, 22:35

may I throw in Maxkey as a second idea? they have SA profile now but their legends are just mmkaay. However the point with a PETSCI set is the new legends: so getting new legend molds done had to be done nevertheless..

(Whoever wants to sell a PETSCI set to me to top my Retro off pm me :) )

zslane

05 Dec 2017, 23:27

The PETSCII graphics on SA Retro are pad printed. Does MaxKeys offer pad printing of front legends?

snuci
Vintage computer guy

06 Dec 2017, 00:08

zslane wrote: (cuz I wouldn't be keen on the set without the PETSCII kit)
Just noticed this last night. How about a PETSCII APL key set? LOL

EDIT: Oh, never mind. I thought they would have had PETSCII too but it's been covered by APL.
Commodore SuperPET APL keyboard
Commodore SuperPET APL keyboard
Commodore SuperPET APL PETSCII - sm.JPG (419.09 KiB) Viewed 29172 times

codemonkeymike

06 Dec 2017, 00:30

zslane wrote: Nobody wants to give up their SA Retro, and Matt3o won't rerun it. Those of us who would love to get our hands on it now are basically screwed.
Never say never, for the right price everything is for sale. One could say the same about Penumbra (had R1 and R2 but will never be run again) but I see sets for sale every once in a while. But they go for more then they sold for originally.

nafsasp

06 Dec 2017, 05:18

phinix wrote:
zslane wrote: Matt3o refuses to rerun it for reasons best explained by Matt3o. I think it has to do with Not Enough Demand and the fact that never rerunning it makes existing sets Special (because they are so rare), a notion he likes.

Remember remember the GMK Retro

Phenix
-p

06 Dec 2017, 10:14

nafsasp wrote:
phinix wrote:

Remember remember the GMK Retro
thats not the same thing as its not the OG producer / profile of the GB:in fact its a different company. Therefore the "personal no-no" by SP w/o Matt3o permission to rerun the set is unlikely.
its the same with a Maxkey SA rerun.. No restriction (well, at least in theory) - using certain novelty wont work out tough (licensed)

phinix

06 Dec 2017, 15:37

I just don't get people who doesn't want to run second round...
If again, loads of people would buy it, why not to do that...

Now, serious question - I was thinking of investing some money and build a small production line of caps in Europe.
I don't know what this line would consist of, I'm guessing biggest problem is to get moulds for caps, is that right?
If I decided to run just one set, I mean SA sculpted ANSI set - can someone explain to me what would I need?

t!ng
Awake Sheep

06 Dec 2017, 16:16

I would sell my SA RETRO stuff... but the price is exorbitant :twisted:

mecano

06 Dec 2017, 16:38

Give it away then :evilgeek:

phinix

06 Dec 2017, 16:39

t!ng wrote: I would sell my SA RETRO stuff... but the price is exorbitant :twisted:
Let's hear it :shock:

matt3o
-[°_°]-

06 Dec 2017, 16:41

let's make this thing clear. I don't rerun it because

1) there's not enough interest. the first run made it by a whisker
2) SP SA tooling is booked until January 2123

phinix

06 Dec 2017, 16:47

matt3o wrote: let's make this thing clear. I don't rerun it because

I PMed you on geekhack about it.
How did you measure the interest? Did you run a IC for round2?

zslane

06 Dec 2017, 19:21

phinix wrote: I just don't get people who doesn't want to run second round...
If again, loads of people would buy it, why not to do that...

Now, serious question - I was thinking of investing some money and build a small production line of caps in Europe.
I don't know what this line would consist of, I'm guessing biggest problem is to get moulds for caps, is that right?
If I decided to run just one set, I mean SA sculpted ANSI set - can someone explain to me what would I need?
Well, if your goal is to make a set as close as possible to SA Retro, you would need:

1. A Gorton Pantograph engraver, or equivalent.
2. A set of fixed legend plates (if you are using the stock Gorton typeface blocks).
3. Custom legend plates for the novelty legends.
4. A set of SA molds for the keycap shells.
5. A machine to shoot the legends (shot one).
6. A machine to shoot the legends into the shells (shot two).
7. A machine to pad print the PETSCII legends onto the front of the keycaps.
8. Trained operators to run all of the above machines.

Did you win the lottery recently?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

06 Dec 2017, 19:40

phinix wrote: I PMed you on geekhack about it.
it's unrealistic to think that it could go much better than round 1 the "retro" franchise is very niche. Even if there was interest I'm not willing to wait 1 year for SP tooling to become available again.

Phenix
-p

06 Dec 2017, 20:17

matt3o wrote:
it's unrealistic to think that it could go much better than round 1 the "retro" franchise is very niche. Even if there was interest I'm not willing to wait 1 year for SP tooling to become available again.
Understandable.

However SP tooling time won’t get shorter so why not place the order in X days and wait the year??

zslane

06 Dec 2017, 23:33

Or why not grant permission and let someone else run the group buy?

scottc

06 Dec 2017, 23:49

I have a SA Retro main + pro set that I never really used. SA Profile is no good for me. I kind of want to sell but don't have the time to go looking around for all of the individual caps.

aspenc4

07 Dec 2017, 03:37

scottc wrote:I have a SA Retro main + pro set that I never really used. SA Profile is no good for me. I kind of want to sell but don't have the time to go looking around for all of the individual caps.
Oh man, you’re just begging for people to blow you up on here aren’t you?

:RIP inbox:

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gateron

07 Dec 2017, 17:36

matt3o wrote:
I don't think you have to worry about interest, especially if done though MD.
Look back a few years and compare to todays numbers.

Take GMK Royal alpha, the set was prolonged at MD since it barely hit MOQ (150). A few months ago it was ran outside of MD and almost hit 250.

If you will not wait a year in line for SP, cant you give permission to MD to rerun it?

zslane

07 Dec 2017, 19:36

gateron wrote: I don't think you have to worry about interest, especially if done though MD.
Look back a few years and compare to todays numbers.
I think that's the problem, actually. If Matt3o is using Carbon or Godspeed sales numbers as his metric for (expected) "sufficient interest", then I can understand his position since it is doubtful a Retro round 2 would meet that standard. Of course, I don't agree that a keycap set needs to meet that standard to be worthy of a re-run, but that's not my call to make.
gateron wrote: If you will not wait a year in line for SP, cant you give permission to MD to rerun it?
If MD runs it, who do you imagine would handle the manufacturing? (Hint: it would be SP)

gkubed

07 Dec 2017, 19:49

Wow. Great business for SP.

Am I wrong in thinking you had said a long time ago you wouldn't run PuLSE again, but you did? If that's true, what conditions changed that? If I were to guess, it's that the interest for it was huge. Either way I'm thankful, because I picked up $250 in PuLSE in R2.

Khers

07 Dec 2017, 19:57

gkubed wrote:

Wow. Great business for SP.

Am I wrong in thinking you had said a long time ago you wouldn't run PuLSE again, but you did? If that's true, what conditions changed that? If I were to guess, it's that the interest for it was huge. Either way I'm thankful, because I picked up $250 in PuLSE in R2.
Pulse is mito's set, so matt3o had nothing to do with it.

Return to “Want to buy”