WTB: HHKB with a PS/2 interface

ivelegacy

02 Feb 2019, 21:19

hi
I am looking for a HHKB (white plastic) with a PS/2 interface.
I know there were a couple of models in the 2000s.

Let me know if you have, your location, and your price.

Thanks =)

Menuhin

02 Feb 2019, 21:57

don't know what is inside this Lite

https://www.ebay.com/itm/123436659122

ivelegacy

02 Feb 2019, 22:02

thanks, unfortunately, he/she doesn't ship to Italy =(
There is another auction on eBay.

Muirium
µ

02 Feb 2019, 22:30

Why pre-USB? Got a hard use case?

ivelegacy

02 Feb 2019, 22:37

Muirium wrote:
02 Feb 2019, 22:30
Why pre-USB? Got a hard use case?
because I'd like to use the keyboard with my SGI octane2, which is PS/2 and doesn't accept any USB-HID keyboard; besides, I also have another project (sort of vt100 terminal) that requires a PS/2 keyboard.

Both these machines are UUNIX so the HHKB looks perfect.

Converting a USB keyboard to PS/2 *seems* possible by using a USB-shield + MPU, but I don't like this idea while buying an adapter (kb-usb---to--host-PS/2) seems to be very expensive (150 euro + S/H + importing fees).

Muirium
µ

02 Feb 2019, 23:02

Very valid answer! Good luck finding a PS/2 model. It should do the trick very nicely.

I remember some active USB to PS/2 converter out there somewhere. NOT to be confused with passive USB to PS/2 plugs, which of course rely on keyboard-internal PS/2 compatibility which is not there in USB HHKBs. But I don’t have any links, alas. Maybe Hasu would know? He works wonders like USB to USB himself.

ivelegacy

02 Feb 2019, 23:12

active USB-to-PS/2 converters like this (very very expensive).

Polecat

03 Feb 2019, 04:45

I have a beige/white PS/2 HHKB Lite2 here that I'm not using, used but clean. Unfortunately it's rubber dome, not the Topre switch version.

ivelegacy

03 Feb 2019, 13:22

it seems interesting :D
where are you located? any pic?

Polecat

04 Feb 2019, 05:55

ivelegacy wrote:
03 Feb 2019, 13:22
it seems interesting :D
where are you located? any pic?
California. Pics attached.
Attachments
DSCN0363.JPG
DSCN0363.JPG (809.46 KiB) Viewed 3645 times
DSCN0360.JPG
DSCN0360.JPG (806.32 KiB) Viewed 3645 times

ivelegacy

05 Feb 2019, 00:57

sent a PM :D

subcat

05 Feb 2019, 04:29

If things don't work out, I have one of the original models (pre-lite) with Fujitsu's dome with slider design from the year 2000.

Polecat

05 Feb 2019, 05:03

ivelegacy wrote:
PM received and answered. :)

I know it's hard for the youngsters to comprehend, but I don't own a cell phone and I went most of my life without internet, despite the fact I was playing with computers when Billy Gates was still in diapers. I don't have internet during the day while I'm working, so I'm usually only online in the evening.

Hypersphere

05 Feb 2019, 15:21

Polecat wrote:
ivelegacy wrote:

I know it's hard for the youngsters to comprehend, but I don't own a cell phone and I went most of my life without internet, despite the fact I was playing with computers when Billy Gates was still in diapers. I don't have internet during the day while I'm working, so I'm usually only online in the evening.
Wow! I thought I was the last man on the planet to not own a cell phone! I have 9 desktop computers and a laptop (but I very seldom use the laptop) and no cell phone. Not long ago, I was on my way to a conference and needed to rent a car. The agent asked for my cell number, and I told him I didn't have a cell phone. He looked at me as if I were from another planet, and I had to fight with him to finally be allowed to rent the car. I do in fact feel like an alien when I am in places where everyone else is busy thumbing their phones. However, I enjoy the quiet times when I am in transit between offices, unfettered by mobile electronic devices.

samuelcable

05 Feb 2019, 15:30

Polecat wrote:
ivelegacy wrote:

Thanks for the copypasta

ivelegacy

06 Feb 2019, 11:49

I don't have a cell phone, too. Neither I have a smartphone. I don't really like these devices. I am on a laptop when I need to access the internet, but I am a developer, so I usually spend at least 4 hours/day on a computer.

Currently, I am finalizing an Linux/stage4 for a PA RISC machine. This has taken 5 weeks of work, thank God is going to end :D

I wrote about the PM because I thought the forum was not working as expected due to a warning I got on sending PM, but this is probably caused due to my old Windows XP and Chrome. In fact, I am having a lot of these issues at accessing https, and services like Reddit are now not correctly working, or not working at all (Reddit freezes).

Still, have to understand why. Anyway, also browsers like Dillo (the lightest on Linux) do not work.

Ah, technology ...

Polecat

07 Feb 2019, 03:53

Hypersphere wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 15:21

Wow! I thought I was the last man on the planet to not own a cell phone! I have 9 desktop computers and a laptop (but I very seldom use the laptop) and no cell phone. Not long ago, I was on my way to a conference and needed to rent a car. The agent asked for my cell number, and I told him I didn't have a cell phone. He looked at me as if I were from another planet, and I had to fight with him to finally be allowed to rent the car. I do in fact feel like an alien when I am in places where everyone else is busy thumbing their phones. However, I enjoy the quiet times when I am in transit between offices, unfettered by mobile electronic devices.
Glad I'm not the only one. To me it's an incredibly rude intrusion on my personal space. And I prefer to be able to laugh guiltlessly at the idiots falling into open manholes and driving off cliffs while distracted by something far more important.

Polecat

07 Feb 2019, 04:00

ivelegacy wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 11:49
I don't have a cell phone, too. Neither I have a smartphone. I don't really like these devices. I am on a laptop when I need to access the internet, but I am a developer, so I usually spend at least 4 hours/day on a computer.

Currently, I am finalizing an Linux/stage4 for a PA RISC machine. This has taken 5 weeks of work, thank God is going to end :D

I wrote about the PM because I thought the forum was not working as expected due to a warning I got on sending PM, but this is probably caused due to my old Windows XP and Chrome. In fact, I am having a lot of these issues at accessing https, and services like Reddit are now not correctly working, or not working at all (Reddit freezes).

Still, have to understand why. Anyway, also browsers like Dillo (the lightest on Linux) do not work.

Ah, technology ...
No worry, just explaining why I didn't respond instantly.

I had the same https issue recently with my Mac, when the OS and browser could no longer be updated. I haven't done any programming since the days of CP/M and MBasic, so I'm pretty much just another dumb user forced to buy the latest trick.

Return to “Want to buy”