WTB weird / interesting / odd keyboard

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

09 Aug 2019, 22:42

I'm looking for some sort of vintage board that I'd classify as obscure and interesting.

I don't have any strict criteria but I'll list off some bullet points for what's going through my mind. None of these are must-have aspects, just some clues.
  • Old[ish]
  • Chunkier/bulkier than necessary
  • Obscure switches
  • Requiring restoration and/or conversion work
  • Interesting/nice keycaps
  • Researchable (e.g. scanned manuals for the computer available online)
  • Well made (I can flex a lot on this since so many interesting boards are cheapos... but nothing beats a tank keyboard)
  • Unnecessarily complicated and/or over-engineered
  • Savable (I'd like to avoid anything that is too far beyond repair)

Wazrach

09 Aug 2019, 22:54

snacksthecat wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 22:42
I'm looking for some sort of vintage board that I'd classify as obscure and interesting.

I don't have any strict criteria but I'll list off some bullet points for what's going through my mind. None of these are must-have aspects, just some clues.
  • Old[ish]
  • Chunkier/bulkier than necessary
  • Obscure switches
  • Requiring restoration and/or conversion work
  • Interesting/nice keycaps
  • Researchable (e.g. scanned manuals for the computer available online)
  • Well made (I can flex a lot on this since so many interesting boards are cheapos... but nothing beats a tank keyboard)
  • Unnecessarily complicated and/or over-engineered
  • Savable (I'd like to avoid anything that is too far beyond repair)
I have an Olivetti ET-101 typewriter module with Olivetti snap-action switches that you can have for free, if you pay for shipping. They feel like Futaba clickies. Very smooth with almost linear feeling. Sharp tactile sound.

I do live in the UK, so international shipping might cost an arm and a leg.

User101

10 Aug 2019, 00:40

Wazrach wrote:
They feel like Futaba clickies. Very smooth with almost linear feeling. Sharp tactile sound.
Very interesting because the snap action switches in my olivetti keyboard felt like crap(its not even dirty). Probably because the board is well-used and I'm sure some lube will fix that. However, the uncomfortably short switch travel killed it for me. Maybe the short travel is specific to my board? How's the travel distance on your typewriter module?

Wazrach

10 Aug 2019, 02:19

User101 wrote:
10 Aug 2019, 00:40
Wazrach wrote:
They feel like Futaba clickies. Very smooth with almost linear feeling. Sharp tactile sound.
Very interesting because the snap action switches in my olivetti keyboard felt like crap(its not even dirty). Probably because the board is well-used and I'm sure some lube will fix that. However, the uncomfortably short switch travel killed it for me. Maybe the short travel is specific to my board? How's the travel distance on your typewriter module?
They feel like.. Fisher Price click switches. It's so hard to describe. I think what kills it for me is the lack of thock. Apart from that, they're pretty smooth and pleasant. They just feel a bit fake... like they're pretending to be clicky?

As for travel distance, I'll whip it out when I wake up in the morning and have a look

kbdfr
The Tiproman

10 Aug 2019, 07:20

Weird keyboards?
Perhaps you'll be interested in this (more info when you read the whole thread):
viewtopic.php?p=109554#p109554

hansichen

10 Aug 2019, 09:56

There was a pretty long article about that board by golem: https://www.golem.de/news/tastatur-kuri ... 28713.html

kbdfr
The Tiproman

10 Aug 2019, 15:13

There's even a thread (by seebart, long time no see) in the German DT section where not only the article is referenced, but where its author himself (Tobi120681) posted:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=16926

Return to “Want to buy”