Small as possible alps pcb/keeb or help with ibm 5140 conversion.

ppCircle

17 Sep 2019, 21:20

I looking for small as it is possible alps pcb which one can handle all ibm 5140 keys.

Old keyboards can be ass well if they work probably with modern computers.

Every switch from ibm gonna be soldered to that pcb so this is gonna be chaotic custom with two pcb's. (should work that way with cherry pcb's etc.?) (why like that? Iam to dumb to convert that keeb :( and can't find anybody in EU who can do it for me)

Ofc in area of EU.

ZedTheMan

17 Sep 2019, 21:53

I can teach you how to convert the keyboard by wiring up to the matrix. No current Alps compatible PCBs will support the layout of the 5140 besides the original, if you want to use all of the keys. It's those damn small keys.

Nuum

17 Sep 2019, 22:37

I followed this guide to convert my IBM 5140 keyboard to USB: viewtopic.php?t=9666
I have an ISO keyboard so I had to change a few things, but it was very helpful nonetheless!

ppCircle

17 Sep 2019, 22:41

ZedTheMan wrote:
17 Sep 2019, 21:53
I can teach you how to convert the keyboard by wiring up to the matrix. No current Alps compatible PCBs will support the layout of the 5140 besides the original, if you want to use all of the keys. It's those damn small keys.
I thinking about do that this way. This is can be use for morons like me

ZedTheMan

17 Sep 2019, 23:38

Uh, I guess that could work??? But there is really no reason to go to that much effort when one can just wire up the matrix to a teensy like in our messages.

orihalcon

19 Sep 2019, 01:59

If someone wants to design the PCB that has a space to directly solder on a teensy and would support Soarer's Controller firmware, I'd consider doing a run of the actual PCBs. Would be pretty cool if there was a full case conversion kit available that had a case that fits the top. and was as low profile as possible. I feel like it would be pretty easy to design a case out of layered acrylic/plexiglass sheets if someone is so inclined to design one. I unfortunately lack the design experience to actually do the designing of either unfortunately. I do think there's enough IBM 5140 keyboard remnants from switch harvesting and IBM 5140's that otherwise have bad drives or screens to have enough interest to make something like 25 such kits like this without doing an interest check. I know some suppliers that could make acrylic parts and PCBs if we have a good looking and working prototype to base it on.

Only thing I'd ask in the PCB design is that switch soldering points be added to split the enter key horizontally and have the soldering points added for a 2U backspace key. The actual keycaps for those two areas would need to come from elsewhere, but definitely worth having the option for.

ZedTheMan

19 Sep 2019, 05:04

Hey, as an update to anyone interested, I can provide layouts and firmware compatible with kbfirmware.com so you can have the matrix mapping done. All you need to do is match it up with your teensy/pro micro pins, and it should*** (I am not liable if it doesn't work) work. I have versions for bigass enter, and ISO layout.

Anakey

19 Sep 2019, 11:11

orihalcon wrote:
Would be pretty cool if there was a full case conversion kit available that had a case that fits the top. and was as low profile as possible. I feel like it would be pretty easy to design a case out of layered acrylic/plexiglass sheets if someone is so inclined to design one. I unfortunately lack the design experience to actually do the designing of either unfortunately. I do think there's enough IBM 5140 keyboard remnants from switch harvesting and IBM 5140's that otherwise have bad drives or screens to have enough interest to make something like 25 such kits like this without doing an interest check. I know some suppliers that could make acrylic parts and PCBs if we have a good looking and working prototype to base it on.
I have already designed and made such a layered acrylic case for the handwired conversion i did earlier this year using original plate and pcb
viewtopic.php?p=446141#p446141
The alpha section would need widening by a mm on each side due to the tolerance being too tight but i can easily do that before releasing the files if they would be of use.

ppCircle

20 Sep 2019, 15:56

Anakey wrote:
19 Sep 2019, 11:11
orihalcon wrote:
Would be pretty cool if there was a full case conversion kit available that had a case that fits the top. and was as low profile as possible. I feel like it would be pretty easy to design a case out of layered acrylic/plexiglass sheets if someone is so inclined to design one. I unfortunately lack the design experience to actually do the designing of either unfortunately. I do think there's enough IBM 5140 keyboard remnants from switch harvesting and IBM 5140's that otherwise have bad drives or screens to have enough interest to make something like 25 such kits like this without doing an interest check. I know some suppliers that could make acrylic parts and PCBs if we have a good looking and working prototype to base it on.
I have already designed and made such a layered acrylic case for the handwired conversion i did earlier this year using original plate and pcb
viewtopic.php?p=446141#p446141
The alpha section would need widening by a mm on each side due to the tolerance being too tight but i can easily do that before releasing the files if they would be of use.
Post is not actual. Already converted with Zed help. Huge thanks to you.

Return to “Want to buy”