Model M

FFburger75

22 Sep 2019, 16:30

I would like to buy a Model M if anyone has one to sell!
I've been after one for a while and only have memories of sneaking into the computer room at school, past all the BBC Micros to the teachers IBM PC (could even have been a Model F in the late 80s early 90s?) just to click on the keyboard...ahh, nostalgia!!
Anyway, I seem to always miss out on the properly priced ones on eBay and I'm not willing to pay £169 for a Model M that has an RJ45 connector like they all seem to have.
If anyone in the UK has a spare one or one they just don't want anymore (I know, I know) I'll be happy to arrange a decent price with you.
Thanks again and here's hoping.

Fkazim

22 Sep 2019, 17:24

Yes you are doing the right thing not going with the terminal Model M's as they need a special converter. Also the keycaps on the terminal keyboard have weird legends so using these keyboards on daily basis will be pain. With that being said here are some reasonably price Model M's with a UK layout hope that helps.

Model M one on bid but ATM at a reasonable price: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IBM-Model-M- ... 4014545171

Model M two has some missing keys but overall in good condition https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-1984 ... 3573527666

Hope that helps :D

FFburger75

22 Sep 2019, 19:03

Thanks, I've already got that first one in my watched items and will see what's up in a couple of days.
I nearly fell for a listing that had a cut off cable but after going on the part numbers for Model Ms on here I saw that it was a terminal.
Probably why there are listings with cut or 'missing' cables in the hope of someone not knowing or checking.
Thanks for the reply.

Wazrach

22 Sep 2019, 19:13

FFburger75 wrote:
I've been after one for a while and only have memories of sneaking into the computer room at school, past all the BBC Micros to the teachers IBM PC (could even have been a Model F in the late 80s early 90s?) just to click on the keyboard...ahh, nostalgia!!
Anyway, I seem to always miss out on the properly priced ones on eBay and I'm not willing to pay £169 for a Model M that has an RJ45 connector like they all seem to have.
If anyone in the UK has a spare one or one they just don't want anymore (I know, I know) I'll be happy to arrange a decent price with you.
Hiya,

Unicomp make brand new Model M keyboards, offering custom keycap options, windows keys, USB and the option to have a black or beige case. You can also get an "Ultra Classic" , with smaller bezels.

They are a bit creaky and aren't quite as good as the originals in terms of build quality, but the key feel is solid.

People seem to love or hate Unicomp, as the quality isn't 100%, but they're an excellent company with a friendly and supportive team.

https://www.pckeyboard.com/page/category/UKBD

elecplus

22 Sep 2019, 19:18

I am not in the UK, but I do have several of them for desktops, as well as the converters for use on the terminal keyboards. https://elecshopper.com/IBM-1391401-Keyboard-p150544372

FFburger75

22 Sep 2019, 19:42

Hiya,

Unicomp make brand new Model M keyboards, offering custom keycap options, windows keys, USB and the option to have a black or beige case. You can also get an "Ultra Classic" , with smaller bezels.

They are a bit creaky and aren't quite as good as the originals in terms of build quality, but the key feel is solid.

People seem to love or hate Unicomp, as the quality isn't 100%, but they're an excellent company with a friendly and supportive team.

https://www.pckeyboard.com/page/category/UKBD
[/quote]

I was going to get a Unicomp and had an alert set for the Ultra Classic when it came back in stock.
I have heard that the Ultra Classic is the one that isn't as flimsy as the others and they are built better.
However, when I got my notification for an English ISO there was only one in stock and it sold between the time of me getting the email and the time I had the money in the bank to buy it.
That's why I'm asking in here and asking about a little farther and wider than just eBay etc.
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the advice but I was asking for anyone who was selling or willing to sell an actual IBM Model M and not for advice on eBay or Unicomp etc.
I've looked on eBay and i know about Unicomp.
Thanks anyway.

wobbled

22 Sep 2019, 22:46

I personally wouldn't go Unicomp. My Classic from 2014 has randomly stopped working on multiple keys, despite spending 95% of its life in storage.
Sigh.

depletedvespene

22 Sep 2019, 22:53

Fkazim wrote:

Model M two has some missing keys but overall in good condition https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-1984 ... 3573527666
Do be warned this one is actually a rubber dome keyboard.

Fkazim

23 Sep 2019, 01:15

depletedvespene wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 22:53
Fkazim wrote:

Do be warned this one is actually a rubber dome keyboard.
Oh damn yes I just realised sorry that one completely slipped past me good spot :D

FFburger75

25 Sep 2019, 09:39

I got one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Old-Stoc ... 7675.l2557

Just waiting on DPD to do their fu***ing job and actually move it out of the drop off depot. Been sitting there for over 24 hours!!!!
Thanks for the advice and whatnot, can't wait for this little clicky bugger to turn up!!

andrewjoy

25 Sep 2019, 09:59

Congrats on the M.

That looks like a U.K made version to me, i had one. They feel slightly different than the early U.S made ones, slightly softer feel. Not bad , just different :).

FFburger75

04 Oct 2019, 12:44

Thanks, It's actually Danish layout but it's identical to the UK one, just different keycaps and it was made in Greenock, Scotland.
I'm in the UK myself and much prefer the UK layout anyway.
I thought it was a bit 'scratchy' when it first turned up and was about to clean it but when I looked inside it's completely pristine.
It was bought as 'new-old' stock but I didn't expect it to be as brand new as it was.
Anyway, it's a delight to type on and even game on with WoW and PoE hasn't hit any problems yet.
If it does become a problem with games I've got a Focus 2001 with Type OA2 clones that I linear modded just for gaming but for now I'm loving my Model M.

depletedvespene

04 Oct 2019, 13:25

FFburger75 wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 12:44
Thanks, It's actually Danish layout but it's identical to the UK one, just different keycaps and it was made in Greenock, Scotland.
Yes. What's printed in the keycaps is the Danish layout but the keyboard itself was built in the UK plant, as most Model M keyboards sold in Europe were.

Enjoy!

depletedvespene

04 Oct 2019, 13:27

Check out the date on that keyboard: 13-12-1999. This is the youngest IBM-branded Model M keyboard I've ever seen in the wild (and quite close to the cutoff date, too).

FFburger75

04 Oct 2019, 17:04

depletedvespene wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 13:27
Check out the date on that keyboard: 13-12-1999. This is the youngest IBM-branded Model M keyboard I've ever seen in the wild (and quite close to the cutoff date, too).
It's built like a tank too. I was under the impression that the later the production, the more 'flimsy' the overall construction.
I'm not sure if that's just a Lexmark and Unicomp thing though as the plant in Greenock was an IBM plant and not company that they commissioned.
I'm not all that knowledgable about the history of Model Ms but that might be a reason?

clickykeyboards

04 Oct 2019, 17:29

Some observational data on model M keyboard weight differences across different dates.
model-m-weights-wcables.jpg
model-m-weights-wcables.jpg (255.83 KiB) Viewed 5809 times
source: http://www.clickeykeyboards.com/model-m ... 1986-2003/

Also some photos of 1986 model M (1390131) vs. 1999 model M (42H1292)

http://www.clickeykeyboards.com/model-m ... m-42h1292/
1390131 (1986).jpg
1390131 (1986).jpg (443.16 KiB) Viewed 5809 times
1390131 (1986) 5 lb 5.8 oz

42h1292 (1999).jpg
42h1292 (1999).jpg (428.89 KiB) Viewed 5809 times
42H1292 (1999) 4 lb 9.2 oz

source: http://www.clickeykeyboards.com/model-m ... m-42h1292/

Donnelly20

04 Oct 2019, 18:03

FFburger75 wrote:
Here ya go spare keycap set and driver for taking it apart and all if youre going down that route. I would recommend offering 80€ plus postage will cost you about 85£ in the end considering your location. https://www.adverts.ie/keyboards-and-mi ... d/18889724

I have just gone about converting my own model m into iso(superiour layout :lol:) but i would ask some more questions about the board first. Looks prestine and judging by the date i dont think itll be a terminal also it looks like it has the much nicer detachable sdl cable from the photos but i could be wrong.

Edit: sorry didnt realise you had got one, nice score a cib model m too bad its hard wired but still nice for the price. The board i have linked would still be a good pick up for anyone looking into model m's

FFburger75

05 Oct 2019, 06:52

Donnelly20 wrote:
FFburger75 wrote:
Here ya go spare keycap set and driver for taking it apart and all if youre going down that route. I would recommend offering 80€ plus postage will cost you about 85£ in the end considering your location. https://www.adverts.ie/keyboards-and-mi ... d/18889724

I have just gone about converting my own model m into iso(superiour layout :lol:) but i would ask some more questions about the board first. Looks prestine and judging by the date i dont think itll be a terminal also it looks like it has the much nicer detachable sdl cable from the photos but i could be wrong.

Edit: sorry didnt realise you had got one, nice score a cib model m too bad its hard wired but still nice for the price. The board i have linked would still be a good pick up for anyone looking into model m's
Thanks man! I'm still looking for a cheap broken one from eBay and places like that but that's just for the UK keycaps.
I have been in touch with Unicomp and wouldn't mind paying the import and VAT for a set of pearl whites from them but if there is one ubiquitous complaint about Unicomp it's that they have really low standards with regards to their legend printing and I'd hate to pay twice the price only to get legends that are printed all over the place.
There was one fella selling a broken terminal Model M on eBay but the idiot was asking £55 and £10 delivery, needless to say he didn't get any offers and although it's way more than what it's worth, I'd still pay £30-£40 because it works out cheaper than Unicomps keycaps in end.

FFburger75

05 Oct 2019, 06:55

Quick question to anyone who might know: This Model M is PS/2 but it does something that no other PS/2 keyboard (or any board at all for that matter) that I've owned does.
If my computer is switched off, pressing any key on my 'board switches the PC on. What's going on there lol?

FFburger75

05 Oct 2019, 07:02

clickykeyboards wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 17:29
Some observational data on model M keyboard weight differences across different dates.

model-m-weights-wcables.jpg

source: http://www.clickeykeyboards.com/model-m ... 1986-2003/

Also some photos of 1986 model M (1390131) vs. 1999 model M (42H1292)

http://www.clickeykeyboards.com/model-m ... m-42h1292/

1390131 (1986).jpg
1390131 (1986) 5 lb 5.8 oz

42h1292 (1999).jpg
42H1292 (1999) 4 lb 9.2 oz

source: http://www.clickeykeyboards.com/model-m ... m-42h1292/
I'll give mine a weigh and send the pics and results as soon as I've got a decent enough set of scales to do so accurately.
It will be interesting to see the actual weight.
Isn't the difference between the 4Kg and 5Kg models just down to an extra 1Kg(ish) weight of the backplate and not any extra pieces or parts?

Donnelly20

05 Oct 2019, 13:44

FFburger75 wrote:
05 Oct 2019, 06:52
Donnelly20 wrote:
FFburger75 wrote:

Thanks man! I'm still looking for a cheap broken one from eBay and places like that but that's just for the UK keycaps.
I have been in touch with Unicomp and wouldn't mind paying the import and VAT for a set of pearl whites from them but if there is one ubiquitous complaint about Unicomp it's that they have really low standards with regards to their legend printing and I'd hate to pay twice the price only to get legends that are printed all over the place.
There was one fella selling a broken terminal Model M on eBay but the idiot was asking £55 and £10 delivery, needless to say he didn't get any offers and although it's way more than what it's worth, I'd still pay £30-£40 because it works out cheaper than Unicomps keycaps in end.
i totally agree dont buy from unicomp thats where i got my few caps to convert to iso the printing is really low standard on them and they look nothing like the original caps when theyre on the board luckily i have a terminal m122 that i can steal caps like enter and stuff just to make it look a small bit more authentic. I wouldnt advise going with unicomp its not worth the extra vat and import the only reason i did it was because i had them sent to a relative who brought them home with him.

Also that feature your board has sounds pretty cool. i mean on the one hand it can be annoying but on the other be a neat feature. There is some PS/2 boards that have keys for specifically powering on, sleeping and turning off the pc

fohat
Elder Messenger

05 Oct 2019, 15:40

Over the years I have had times when touching any key on the keyboard would cause a computer that was off to power on.

Usually it has happened with Dell AT101s, I can't remember it happening with a Model M. I thought that it was creepy and would not call it a "feature" - I thought of it as an electrical problem. My current motherboard is an ASRock, but I think I remember it happening with my previous Gigabyte as well.

FFburger75

05 Oct 2019, 17:41

fohat wrote:
05 Oct 2019, 15:40
Over the years I have had times when touching any key on the keyboard would cause a computer that was off to power on.

Usually it has happened with Dell AT101s, I can't remember it happening with a Model M. I thought that it was creepy and would not call it a "feature" - I thought of it as an electrical problem. My current motherboard is an ASRock, but I think I remember it happening with my previous Gigabyte as well.
I've got a Dell 102W and that doesn't do it, just the IBM. My motherboard is an Asus Prime X470 which has got a PS/2 connector built-in.
I don't mind it, to be honest, it's not like my computer spends a lot of time powered off anyway. Out of curiosity though, I'm going to change the shutdown command to shut the PC down fully off instead of the 'snapshotted' hibernate state that Windows goes into and see if it does the same.

Return to “Want to buy”