[WTB] Model M space bar

Palatino

28 Nov 2020, 18:12

Can anyone sell or donate a spare space bar with stabilizer for an IBM Model M? I have a otherwise lovely Model M raring to go, but the spacebar doesn't register presses, or click. Not a problem with the spring or circuit as other keys work fine if slotted onto it - it must be the space bar itself. Ebay showing plenty of spare keys but no space bars - they must fail easier than others I suppose.
Thank you!

ddrfraser1

28 Nov 2020, 23:35

I'm skeptical that that is the problem. Did you try putting a regular 1u cap on it?

Weezer

28 Nov 2020, 23:42

Sounds like an issue with the way you've got the space bar seated into the keyboard. Try removing the space bar, and then tilt the keyboard so that the back where the cable comes out is still touching the desk but the keyboard is perpendicular to the table, then try slotting the space bar back in. Also verify that the little catch that the spring seats into looks the same on the space bar as on the other keys and that there's no debris inside there.
Last edited by Weezer on 28 Nov 2020, 23:43, edited 1 time in total.

Weezer

28 Nov 2020, 23:42

ddrfraser1 wrote:
28 Nov 2020, 23:35
I'm skeptical that that is the problem. Did you try putting a regular 1u cap on it?
Yeah he said that other keys do work in the space bar barrel.

"Not a problem with the spring or circuit as other keys work fine if slotted onto it"

ddrfraser1

29 Nov 2020, 04:42

Got it. Missed that.

Return to “Want to buy”