[WTB, UK/EU] IBM Model M keycaps for early 90s board... or another whole early 90s Model M

an_achronism

07 May 2021, 18:35

I have various bits and bobs kicking about but not any of the ones I need for this board:
  • F12
  • UK ` ¬ ¦
  • Ctrl (left)
  • up arrow (nav cluster)
And as a secondary priority, I'd also ideally like to find these for it, because they have a small amount of damage or maybe just bad moulding:
  • Alt with green legend
  • Alt Gr
I was planning on grabbing a 1996 one and stealing keys from it but somebody else bought it outright before it went to auction (for more than I reckon it was actually worth tbh).

Frankly, some of the prices people are listing Model M boards for just now are ridiculous, which makes this a bit more awkward than it might otherwise be. I can only assume they don't know what they are but see Model Fs and the like going for multiple hundreds and think "mine is also an IBM so it must be worth that too". Late, Lexmark-era / IMB Greenock Ms with questionable moulding/sublimation listed for £300, £450, etc. Bonkers.

This 1990 one was a bloody state but it's cleaned up quite nicely, even only missing 4 rivets and they're all in places that don't really matter much in terms of affecting function (edges, not under keys). But I need to find some keycaps!

Anybody happen to have any of these? I don't need stems, just the keycaps. I could buy Unicomp ones but they're not 2-part any more and sit at a different height.

Alternatively, if you have a UK Model M (e.g. part number 1391406) that's seen better days, I might buy that and Frankenstein them together. The end goal is to have at least one complete board from as close to the start of September 1990 as possible. If you have one from around then in *good* condition, that could work too.

Wazrach

07 May 2021, 19:23

Hiya, I have exactly those keys if you're interested.

Bjerrk

07 May 2021, 19:25

I have recently read a post which suggests he might be!

an_achronism

07 May 2021, 20:33

Wazrach wrote:
07 May 2021, 19:23
Hiya, I have exactly those keys if you're interested.
Definitely, chuck me a PM!

Return to “Want to buy”