WTB - a handful of Matias Quiet Click and/or Dampened Alps switches

Palatino

28 Sep 2021, 13:09

Does anyone have some loose Matias Quiet Click switches kicking around? Just 5 or 10 would be fine, either to buy or borrow. These have a mixed reputation but I’m interested in trying a dampened alps-type switch. Even just the sliders would be good, as rather than soldering these I’d like to stick the Matias sliders inside a black or white alps switch housing for a softer feel and sound (maybe both will be worse!)

I know dampened alps switches rely on a different housing design to dampen the downstroke, with large nodules to meet the rubber in the side of the slider, but I’d also be interested in a handful of these to swap into regular alps housings to see what they feel like - and at least the upstroke would be dampened. Again, happy to have just sliders removed from a switch if that saves on soldering!

Thanks.

Muirium
µ

28 Sep 2021, 13:45

I actually might. They’ll be early ones though. Dunno if they changed them.

thefarside

28 Sep 2021, 15:09

I don’t have the quiet click but I do have the linear version which appears to be the same as the quiet click except for the click leaf being different.

Shoot me a PM if you’re interested. I purchased 200 but only need half for my project and have plenty to spare.

Palatino

29 Sep 2021, 00:28

Thank you - will do!

Palatino

29 Sep 2021, 00:30

Muirium wrote:
28 Sep 2021, 13:45
I actually might. They’ll be early ones though. Dunno if they changed them.
And thank you too. Let me know if they turn up. Your parts shelf/drawer/cupboard is bound to be neater than mine. I can’t sneeze without knocking over a ton of miscellaneous keyboardery.

Muirium
µ

29 Sep 2021, 15:47

Okay so I have rummaged and I have found… 3—THREE—uno dos tres…damped Matias switches. I'll go take a pic. They're actually linearised damped clicky Matiaseses. Someone else did it, and handed them out at a meetup at GitHub HQ some years back. Got the matching click leaves too.

Are 3 enough? All I've got. Thought I nabbed more, maybe I did but I don't still have them.

Here are ze piques:
IMG_9331.jpg
IMG_9331.jpg (195.81 KiB) Viewed 826 times
What you see here is 4x regular clicky non-damped Matias switches, 2x salmon complicated tactile Alps, and 3x hand linearised damped Matias switches, with their original click leaves in a bag.

Computer: enhance!
IMG_9331+.jpg
IMG_9331+.jpg (114.99 KiB) Viewed 825 times
Note the telltale white dampers within. That's the nice thing about Matias using clear plastics. You can see what's present and what's missing.

I can probably spare those salmons if you need them.

Palatino

29 Sep 2021, 23:57

Amazing! I wasn’t salmon-fishing, but if you’re offering, I’d love to try them too. And gosh, it’s getting a bit Marks & Spencer with these adjectival strings: [cue oozing music] “These are not just switches… these are hand-linearised damped clicky Matias switches.” Let me know what I owe you for the fruits of your rummage. Those sliders may be dampened but my enthusiasm isn’t! (Had enough of Matiasome humour?)

Muirium
µ

30 Sep 2021, 13:23

I can just about bear it. Though your determination almost Edgars belief! :roll:

Might as well chuck the lot in a bubble mailer for you. I've nothing lined up for any of them. Already got a salmon in my switch tester stash I think. They're just a random assortment of leftovers from days old.

Return to “Want to buy”