[Closed] Beamspring APL Keycaps!!!!!

Alectardy98

03 Oct 2021, 08:16

Want to buy a full set of beamspring APL caps
Last edited by Alectardy98 on 17 Sep 2022, 20:58, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

03 Oct 2021, 09:51

Want to buy small country. Good one, complete with coastline and mountains. Not one of those crap ones.

TNT

03 Oct 2021, 17:04

Never even knew there were APL caps for beamsprings. Beautiful, but dang, those gotta be rarer than a non-corrupt politician and very expensive :|

Muirium
µ

03 Oct 2021, 17:30

TNT

04 Oct 2021, 09:22

Your archnemesis! Sorry to hear you're still holding your grudge about the DTA 2013

Muirium
µ

04 Oct 2021, 09:28

He was (and occasionally still is) a frenemy of mine more than a nemesis. Always winding me up about my outwardly strange, accented, cold, northern homeland. As he would, the Canadian! Think I might have started it by guessing he had Scottish ancestry! :lol:

The 2013 DTAs were my own best, actually. Only time I ever won one! We never did get around to making awards for off topic and banter. I’m no vintage finds $p€cia£ist or world weary wiki gnome so that was that. :roll:

Alectardy98

11 Oct 2021, 04:37

I mean you guys joke around , but wouldn't this site be the best place to find them. I know there rare that's why I didn't just go to ebay lol.

Muirium
µ

11 Oct 2021, 11:28

Correct!

Just beware you'll need a combination of extraordinary patience, dumb luck, and a truly painful amount of money. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if you had to pay well over two grand to score them. I mean: who wants to pull the APL caps off their beamspring? You'd really have to buy the keyboard.

adamcobabe

11 Oct 2021, 12:01

I think eBay is probably the best option. I found a beamspring with a set on eBay before covid kicked off. I was checking multiple times a day at that time though. It wasn't cheap. Good luck. They are some of the best looking caps ever, IMHO.

Muirium
µ

11 Oct 2021, 12:12

Not cheap, for sure! But how much? I'm just guessing, based on beamsprings in general. Haven't seen an APL for sale in a long time.

invalid mr_a500

19 Oct 2021, 20:05

I tried to log in, but somehow my account has been disabled. Apparently, I'm now an "invalid" - just like in Gattaca.

Anyway, I've got an APL Beamspring - the first APL Beamspring in (known) history to have been converted to USB (thanks to xwhatsit... what a guy...) - and I foresee a time coming soon when society will collapse and I'll need some cash to buy a shitload of toilet paper.

I'm kidding. I have all the toilet paper I'll ever need. But I might need some nutritious gold to eat. I might be willing to depart with my beloved end-game keyboard in order to survive the coming apocalypse. (...which is coming soon)

IBM 3278.JPG

Muirium
µ

19 Oct 2021, 20:07

Hey A500! Have you tried Pandrew's firmware for your beamspring? Highly recommended: It has per-key thresholds. A big improvement.

viewtopic.php?p=480369#p480369

invalid mr_a500

19 Oct 2021, 20:09

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked at it, but it doesn't seem to work with my version of OSX.

Muirium
µ

19 Oct 2021, 20:32

What version’s that? It works on Big Sur certainly, and Catalina I think.

You need to flash your Xwhatsit hardware with Pandrew’s firmware for it to work with the util. His firmware is where the magic lies.

You build your own custom layout specific version of his firmware by using this editor here. (Which works with Safari just fine, I should add.)

invalid mr_a500

19 Oct 2021, 20:47

I'm using Mavericks. I won't go flat. I can't! I won't!

Muirium
µ

19 Oct 2021, 21:00

Here’s to the crazy ones.

The misfits.

The republicans.

The teabaggers.

The round pegs in square ports.

Alectardy98

23 Oct 2021, 00:38

invalid mr_a500 wrote:
19 Oct 2021, 20:05
I tried to log in, but somehow my account has been disabled. Apparently, I'm now an "invalid" - just like in Gattaca.

Anyway, I've got an APL Beamspring - the first APL Beamspring in (known) history to have been converted to USB (thanks to xwhatsit... what a guy...) - and I foresee a time coming soon when society will collapse and I'll need some cash to buy a shitload of toilet paper.

I'm kidding. I have all the toilet paper I'll ever need. But I might need some nutritious gold to eat. I might be willing to depart with my beloved end-game keyboard in order to survive the coming apocalypse. (...which is coming soon)

IBM 3278.JPG
I'll send you a pm, if you are actually willing to sell that beauty

Alectardy98

08 Nov 2021, 01:06

bump

Alectardy98

08 Dec 2021, 03:22

Bump

Alectardy98

13 Sep 2022, 17:08

Still searching for them. I have a really special project that id loves to use them on. Any leads would be vary cool. My current budget is 1200$ for the set if in good condition.

Alectardy98

17 Sep 2022, 20:57

The search is OVER!!!!!! I will update the post to refect this. For people who are wondering i did pay the full $1200 for a set in vary good shape

Muirium
µ

18 Sep 2022, 15:16

I’ll bet you did!

What’s happening to the keyboard they came from? Those beams will feel the cold without their cosy caps on.

shine

18 Sep 2022, 19:08

Muirium wrote:
18 Sep 2022, 15:16
I’ll bet you did!

What’s happening to the keyboard they came from? Those beams will feel the cold without their cosy caps on.
the seller has a set of blues for it :D

Muirium
µ

18 Sep 2022, 20:56

Blues?

I had a set of those I sold to Orihalcon. (Partial pictures from the dev/tty design thread here.) Those beamspring compatible blues were from an IBM card punch machine, and couldn’t cover any more than the alpha block of a keyboard. Are there full blue sets out there?

shine

19 Sep 2022, 10:43

Muirium wrote:
18 Sep 2022, 20:56
Blues?

I had a set of those I sold to Orihalcon. (Partial pictures from the dev/tty design thread here.) Those beamspring compatible blues were from an IBM card punch machine, and couldn’t cover any more than the alpha block of a keyboard. Are there full blue sets out there?

sure, don't you know old selectric keys are beamspring compatible? are exactly the same keys
https://i.imgur.com/sMdW66K.jpeg
Attachments
IMG_1221.jpg
IMG_1221.jpg (2.89 MiB) Viewed 4796 times
IMG_1179.jpg
IMG_1179.jpg (3.42 MiB) Viewed 4796 times

Muirium
µ

19 Sep 2022, 11:38

Yes, I know Selectrics are the same mount. But, as you linked:

What about the mods? All blue works, but it’ll clash badly with the beamspring’s mods. Better than nothing, I guess, but still feels wrong to tear a beamspring from its pride and joy APL caps. These aren’t Cherry G81s, ripe for the husking!

Return to “Want to buy”