[WTB] [UK-EU] SGI Bigfoot

zippolupan

10 Jan 2022, 14:18

Hi all,

I'm interested in buying an SGI Bigfoot (granite) with tactile switches (no linearised ones, please).

Let me know if you are willing to part ways with any :)

Muirium
µ

10 Jan 2022, 14:26

I've got one of the pre-PS/2 models that remain unconverted. Here's an ancient pic:

Feels really nice, but I haven't the heart to gut it for a USB upgrade. :lol:

zippolupan

10 Jan 2022, 14:29

That's gorgeous! Do you know what's the process to convert it? I plan to use it at work daily - my IBMs are far too loud and I don't really like linears.

Muirium
µ

10 Jan 2022, 14:34

Well there's the tricky part: it needs either a replacement controller, or the whole PCB. Depends if it has diodes.

I'm a clumsy de-solderer, and when I opened it up to take a looksie, even the anti-static shield was pristine so I got shy at prying any further! Can't remember if I saw diodes or not. (You need them for NKRO. Some vintage boards have matrixes that aren't well optimised for modern use, but NKRO sidesteps that entirely.) But I do remember its original protocol needs 12 volts so it's no mere Teensy USB converter job.

zippolupan

10 Jan 2022, 14:38

Ah, I see. It's not for me, then. I'm very much a novice in this regard and I wouldn't want to butcher it either!

Beautiful board nevertheless, congratulations :)

Muirium
µ

10 Jan 2022, 15:49

Yeah, you’re being wise. It remains my Great Granite Whale, as it were. Perhaps I’ll go take another look now you’ve reminded me I always meant to get on with it. ;)

Palatino

10 Jan 2022, 15:59

If it's tactile (salmon) alps and PBT caps you're after rather than an SGI specifically, I was just getting round to listing my old Dell AT102 if you're interested?

zippolupan

10 Jan 2022, 16:04

The Dell is my fallback plan, as I like the SGI's looks. Let's see if I find one, or I might reach out to you. Thanks!

adamcobabe

10 Jan 2022, 20:27

I've got this one. https://imgur.com/a/FZ7mjO3 I'm in London.

zippolupan

10 Jan 2022, 20:31

PM!

Muirium
µ

10 Jan 2022, 23:33

Good luck scoring one!

I just opened mine up, peeled back the copper tape holding the EMI shield to the PCB, and took a good look around. It's an ALPS PCB, of course, single sided, with nice light white damped Alps switches in very nice shape, topped with PBT dyesubs (ABS spacebar, as ever). Relieved to see it's jam packed with diodes beneath the plate: should have perfectly good rollover! A USB controller replacement looks very doable. Well, if I don't upset the lock LEDs and what looks to be a beeper!

The case is manufacturer marked as ABS, so watch out for yellowing. Mine's pristine but they're not all like that. This one, oddly enough, is dated December 1994. A late date, you'd think, for the SGI protocol model. It may well have been a spare part, boxed for the ages.

I'll take proper pics tomorrow and show it off on the Alps picture thread. She's a looker!

-Space-NATO-

11 Jan 2022, 16:27

I've restored mine recently.

https://imgur.com/gallery/HNoetuI

Muirium
µ

11 Jan 2022, 19:46

All 101 switches have been ultrasonic cleaned and wax modded. I've removed the dampening part of the switch. They feel great now, tactile and no binding at all.
But the damping is the classiest bit about the switches!

-Space-NATO-

11 Jan 2022, 23:30

Yes but it reduces the sound! Which I don't like!

zippolupan

12 Jan 2022, 04:11

Bump! Still looking :)

zippolupan

17 Jan 2022, 11:51

Bumpity bump

zippolupan

26 Jan 2022, 21:05

Bumpy McBumpface

Muirium
µ

26 Jan 2022, 21:06

zippolupan wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 21:05
Bumpy McBumpface
Oh yeah?

zippolupan

26 Jan 2022, 21:34

Sell me yours! :D

Muirium
µ

26 Jan 2022, 23:30

Mine’s not PS/2, as I explained. (It’s midway through getting converted to USB, though. Still to figure out something classy with the ports.)

zippolupan

26 Jan 2022, 23:34

If you can operate a modern computer with it and it's not a fire hazard, it works for me!

zippolupan

26 Jan 2022, 23:38

I have been following your conversion thread very closely, and at the very least you managed to convert me to the cause.

Return to “Want to buy”