[WTB][UK-EU] IBM F XT

0xcf

10 Oct 2022, 00:30

Hello!

i am looking to get a F XT that has been tested to work, would require shipping to the UK.

Been trying to acquire one after getting and using a mini m and membrane buckling springs.
Not a collector, the board will be lovingly used daily :D

Bjerrk

10 Oct 2022, 09:38

Came across this on eBay (no affiliation!) from Donegal, Ireland*:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/295168249810

BTW, contrary to what some would have you believe, the XT works great as a daily driver :P

[*]
Spoiler:
I went to an eBay store I used to frequent
I told the shop lady my money was spent.
I ask her for credit, she answered me "Nay,
such a custom as yours I can have any day."

And it's no, nay, never
No, nay never no more
Will I play the wild auction
No never no more

Muirium
µ

10 Oct 2022, 10:45

169 Euros is a fair price for a nice XT. Buy it now indeed. ;)

The XT was my first mech and a daily for a year or two back when I first joined DT. Definitely doable, as long as you dedicate yourself to typing on that one keyboard instead of a rotation. The layout is different enough to need acclimating to, and only really feels right when it’s second nature.

Besides the layout, they’re top notch boards. Highly recommended. You’ll never touch a Model M again. :lol:

Icarium

10 Oct 2022, 11:47

You must have done some wild remapping to make that lack of bottom row keys work on a daily driver. :)

Muirium
µ

10 Oct 2022, 23:17

Of course. ;)

They’re all in my Soarer box config. The most important ones are up top:

Code: Select all

############################################
# Special IBM PC/XT only layout definition #
############################################

ifset set1
remapblock
layer 0
	f9		rctrl			# Claim bottom function keys for left mods
	f10		lalt
	lalt		lgui
	pad_asterix	fn1			# The vital HHKB style Fn key
	caps_lock	rgui		
“Asterix” was my original trainer for HHKB fn and navigation layer. Besides that, it’s really just using the extra keys to the left as modifiers, as they should be. That’s a trick I still use on my weirder still beamspring.

Bjerrk

11 Oct 2022, 17:27

Icarium wrote:
10 Oct 2022, 11:47
You must have done some wild remapping to make that lack of bottom row keys work on a daily driver. :)
Not really actually :D I mean, you have LCtrl, LAlt and you can map CapsLock to RAlt. What more do you need? :P

Then you can easily find a spot for a layer key using tap/hold logic, and then do all the creative layer shit you can think of 🤪 I even often eschew the mouse and just use the mouse key layer on my XT.

Icarium

11 Oct 2022, 19:56

Bjerrk

11 Oct 2022, 20:13

The Windows key is only slightly more useful than the Windows operating system :P

Meowmaritus

12 Oct 2022, 00:57

Icarium wrote:
11 Oct 2022, 19:56
I found it a lot easier when I realized Ctrl+Escape opens up the Start menu.

Still no convenient stuff like Windows+D for show desktop though

Rezene

12 Oct 2022, 13:49

Ive dailied a f xt for about 3 years, and it was no issue. Simply bind backslash to windows, asterix or caps lock for function, make ` ~ return, and i type just like any ansi board

kbdfr
The Tiproman

13 Oct 2022, 09:10

Meowmaritus wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 00:57
I found it a lot easier when I realized Ctrl+Escape opens up the Start menu. […]
That’s the curse of greenhorns - they often lack knowledge of the past :mrgreen:
As far back as 23 Oct 2011, 15:20, i.e. almost 11 years ago, kbdfr wrote:
23 Oct 2011, 15:20
[…] Indeed everybody happily threw away their keyboards and bought new ones when a new key effecting nothing else than Ctrl+Esc (aka Winkey) was introduced.

Icarium

13 Oct 2022, 13:59

Rezene wrote:
make ` ~ return
What? Do you have a picture? This makes no sense to me. :)

Bjerrk

13 Oct 2022, 14:45

Icarium wrote:
Rezene wrote:
make ` ~ return
Isn't it just to emulate a "vertical" (ANSI-like :( ) enter key?

Meowmaritus

13 Oct 2022, 16:20

~ return is poor man's big ass enter

Icarium

13 Oct 2022, 17:58

To maybe bring this channel back on topic: What's the difference between XT and AT and would OP be interested in an AT as well?

TNT

13 Oct 2022, 18:32

Ooooohhh, I know just the guy who can tell you all about it:
Spoiler:
If you want more on all the F's:

And just for the sake of completeness:
Last edited by TNT on 13 Oct 2022, 21:42, edited 2 times in total.

Muirium
µ

13 Oct 2022, 18:44

Icarium wrote:
13 Oct 2022, 17:58
would OP be interested in an AT as well?
If you’re selling at an attractive rate. In olden times (especially pre-Soarer) ATs were simply priced too highly and automatically ignored by most of us. XT was the working man’s Model F.

zrrion

13 Oct 2022, 21:23

I wish this site had proper moderation and offtopic posts like most of this thread got split into their own threads.

Anyway, I have an XT but I only ship inside the US because I'm lazy. if you have a proxy willing to forward to you LMK and we can work something out

Muirium
µ

13 Oct 2022, 21:31

What’s so offtopic about any of the posts on this thread? They’re almost all about the XT as a keyboard. (And those which aren’t are about the Windows key, which isn’t so wildly unrelated.) I don’t see anything needing moderating.

DT would be a sleepy place if the only posts allowed were offers of XT keyboards as requested. This thread would likely just consist of OP posting the word “bump” 2-12 times before they got lucky (which they hopefully have, with your offer or maybe Icarium’s implied one) or gave up.

TNT

13 Oct 2022, 21:50

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anz ... 5-225-2152

Found this, judging by the last sentence the seller seems to be an Anglosaxon of some sort ;)
The VB means that the price is negotiable. Maybe you get it for cheaper than 200, or make some kind of deal regarding the shipping fees, but imo the one that Bjerrk posted is a better deal.

I mean, did you ever use anything close to XT or AT before, 0xcf? If you think you can handle the somewhat strange layout, I also can absolutely recommend this board. Stellar build quality, exceptional key feel, and so on. It has been my daily for almost two years before I got sucked deeper into the hobby.

Rezene

15 Oct 2022, 13:09

Icarium wrote:
Rezene wrote:
make ` ~ return
I hope im understanding what you mean properly, basically just the `~ key is where the enter key typically is on ANSI so my muscle memory was reaching for that key instead of enter. So i just remapped it to enter so now i cant typo anymore.

macmakkara

22 May 2023, 15:24

0xcf wrote:
10 Oct 2022, 00:30
Hello!

i am looking to get a F XT that has been tested to work, would require shipping to the UK.

Been trying to acquire one after getting and using a mini m and membrane buckling springs.
Not a collector, the board will be lovingly used daily :D
If your still looking i have xt and at for sale. Open for offers. They are on for sale side of market place. And i just added some price from from few searches...

Scarpia

22 May 2023, 18:34

I’ve got an F XT for sale too - I can do €200 plus shipping, but I’m in Sweden so shipping will cost a pretty penny of course.

Return to “Want to buy”