Novatouch

phinix

19 Jan 2023, 11:53

I know... I'm must be mental asking for one nowadays, but I think its gonna be easier than trying to mod Realforce for mx caps.
I bought one Novatouch years ago from our Muirium on this forum, but my daughter loved it so much that she took it and now I want topre with mx caps again...
I tried those new Deskeys sliders but those 2u are still crooked as hell, so only way to have proper topre with mx is Novatouch. :cry:

ANSI please.
Last edited by phinix on 13 Feb 2023, 09:47, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

19 Jan 2023, 19:05

You mean you didn’t hack it to pieces for its parts? If that’s so, I take back the PM I just sent you about not wanting to lose another vital body part to the devil for my misbegotten trades. I still feel guilty for that prototype Novatouch. :lol:

phinix

21 Jan 2023, 14:22

Muirium wrote:
19 Jan 2023, 19:05
You mean you didn’t hack it to pieces for its parts? If that’s so, I take back the PM I just sent you about not wanting to lose another vital body part to the devil for my misbegotten trades. I still feel guilty for that prototype Novatouch. :lol:
What? Nooo. I may have lubed it, or if it had rings, I may taken them out, but its all good.
I gave it to my daughter, she liked it so much that I never got it back :)

Muirium
µ

21 Jan 2023, 17:37

Phew! :lol:

phinix

21 Jan 2023, 20:30

I want Novatouch to have proper topre with mx caps. No more modding Realforces with 3rd party sliders that are always crappy.
All I want to have is two topre boards:
Novatouch for mx caps
Stock 55g Realforce r1 ivory.

phinix

07 Feb 2023, 22:57

I was wondering - why CM never repeated Novatouch? Why nobody else tried to do topre keyboard after NT?

wobbled

09 Feb 2023, 01:41

phinix wrote:
I was wondering - why CM never repeated Novatouch? Why nobody else tried to do topre keyboard after NT?
AFAIK the rights to using Topre components simply cost too much for Cooler Master

phinix

09 Feb 2023, 09:19

wobbled wrote:
09 Feb 2023, 01:41
phinix wrote:
AFAIK the rights to using Topre components simply cost too much for Cooler Master
Yeash, I remember hearing that ages ago.

Muirium
µ

10 Feb 2023, 09:42

I think Topre took CM for a ride. The keyboard’s innards were all Topre’s doing, and I suspect CM only made the outer case. Topre was just testing the water for their MX mount project.

What annoys me is how little Topre has done with their MX compatibility since. We should have true Realforces and HHKBs with MX as a 100% equal quality option, or even the whole line and Topre’s cap production transitioned to MX mount. It’s so obviously the way of the future for them, and yet a path only timidly explored with the largely forgotten Realforce RGB.

phinix

13 Feb 2023, 09:52

Yes, it is weird why Topre never picked it up afeter Novatouch. Even Realforce RGB felt like a test and not even similar quality to Novatouch (as I've read, as I never had one).
I wish they made Realforce and HHKB options with MX sliders. Especially with those purple ones like in Nova :)

wobbled

13 Feb 2023, 13:23

It wouldn’t shock me if both the Novatouch and Realforce RGB were Topre doing some tests.
The Novatouch was far from perfect. The plate had a bit too much flex and made it feel less sturdy than a realforce. Plate gaskets help the overall sturdiness by reducing housing rattle, but the Novatouch still had issues with lack of tactility - could never tell if it was the domes that were different or if the MX sliders took away from the tactility somehow.
Realforce RGB was even worse in that plate gaskets are pretty much a necessity, along with custom silencing rings to hide the hideous sound it made.

They’re planning the next HHKB to be MX compatible, I just hope they get it right.

phinix

13 Feb 2023, 13:57

wobbled wrote:
It wouldn’t shock me if both the Novatouch and Realforce RGB were Topre doing some tests.
The Novatouch was far from perfect. The plate had a bit too much flex and made it feel less sturdy than a realforce. Plate gaskets help the overall sturdiness by reducing housing rattle, but the Novatouch still had issues with lack of tactility - could never tell if it was the domes that were different or if the MX sliders took away from the tactility somehow.
Realforce RGB was even worse in that plate gaskets are pretty much a necessity, along with custom silencing rings to hide the hideous sound it made.

They’re planning the next HHKB to be MX compatible, I just hope they get it right.
What kind of plate gaskets did you use in Novatouch?
Do you still have yours? If so, sounds like you don't like it, I could take it off your hands :D

wobbled

14 Feb 2023, 01:48

phinix wrote:
wobbled wrote:

Do you still have yours? If so, sounds like you don't like it, I could take it off your hands :D
I use these
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003 ... 4itemAdapt
And the one I buy is the porons. They fit perfectly.

My novatouch is nowhere near stock now. It had to have a replacement case and now uses deskey sliders instead of the originals and has BKE light domes so not sure if you'd still be into that :lol:

phinix

14 Feb 2023, 10:37

wobbled wrote:
phinix wrote:
wobbled wrote:

I use these

My novatouch is nowhere near stock now. It had to have a replacement case and now uses deskey sliders instead of the originals and has BKE light domes so not sure if you'd still be into that :lol:
LOL, why did you put deskeys sliders instead of original ones?

wobbled

14 Feb 2023, 17:37

phinix wrote:
wobbled wrote:
phinix wrote:

I use these

Because I MX modded my HHKB a while ago and my Novatouch was basically spare bits until deskeys released their sliders

phinix

14 Feb 2023, 22:49

wobbled wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 17:37
phinix wrote:
wobbled wrote:

I use these

Because I MX modded my HHKB a while ago and my Novatouch was basically spare bits until deskeys released their sliders
I see, cool.
Do you like deskeys sliders? Any issues?

wobbled

14 Feb 2023, 23:46

phinix wrote:
I see, cool.
Honestly they are pretty much identical to the novatouch sliders, about time too after years of suffering from JTK and KBDFans sliders :lol: I would love to pick up a Neverest board from deskeys at some point, heard great things about them.

phinix

15 Feb 2023, 09:48

wobbled wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 23:46
phinix wrote:
I see, cool.
Honestly they are pretty much identical to the novatouch sliders, about time too after years of suffering from JTK and KBDFans sliders :lol: I would love to pick up a Neverest board from deskeys at some point, heard great things about them.
I hope its just a matter of time they make TKL :)

Return to “Want to buy”