29%
The Impostor
20%

Total votes: 45

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

06 Nov 2018, 22:38

Hi Everyone,

Since today is election day in the US, I wanted to hold a celebratory raffle and see what the community thinks about a couple of different keyboards at the same time.

As many of you know, I recently started working on restoring a bunch of Televideo keyboards that I bought from @elecplus (shout out). I have my own opinions on which board is the coolest but I'm more interested in other peoples' opinions and thoughts.

Out of the ~40 keyboards, they break out nicely into 5 groups which I've nicknamed in my workshop thread.

To enter the raffle, all you have to do is vote on the poll then reply to this post, telling which keyboard you think is the best and why. You don't need to end up siding with the winning board; your opinion alone enters you into the raffle.

Then on this Friday evening (Nov 9th), I'll mix up all the names of people who replied and choose one at random. The selected winner will receive one free keyboard of their choice from this cast of characters (if you have a particular board in mind, I'll do my best to accommodate but I've already sold a few of them). I'll ship the board to you for free, regardless of location.

Below is my 1-sheet'er about the 5 different keyboards. If you have any other questions or need additional information to make your decision, I'd be more than happy to provide any information that I can. I'll provide photos, videos, researched data, really anything.
The SoldierThe PawnThe UnknownThe PatriotThe Imposter
Manufacturernmbnmbnmb(?)nmb(?)wyse
Count12 boards15 boards4 boards2 boards4 boards
Switchlinear white space invaderslinear white space invaderslinear white space invaderslinear white space invaderslinear cherry mx blacks
Variety1 eye2 small eyes2 large eyes2 small eyesvintage
Connector6p6c4p4cps26p6c4p4c
Powervoltage regulatorlabeled 5vlabeled 5vvoltage regulatorpresume 5v
Protocol (guess)something over serialsomething over serialat/xtsomething over serialwyse
The Soldier
Spoiler:
manufacturer: nmb

count: 12 boards

switch: linear white space invaders

variety: 1 eye

connector: 6p6c

power: voltage regulator

protocol: something over serial (just assuming based on the connector)
The Pawn
Spoiler:

count: 15 boards

variety: 2 small eyes

connector: 4p4c

power: labeled 5v

protocol: something over serial
The Unknown
Spoiler:

count: 4 boards

variety: 2 large eyes

connector: ps2

power: labeled 5v

protocol: at/xt
The Patriot
Spoiler:

count: 2 boards

variety: 2 small eyes

connector: 6p6c

power: voltage regulator

protocol: something over serial (based on connector)
The Imposter
Spoiler:
manufacturer: wyse

count: 4 boards

switch: linear cherry mx blacks

variety: vintage

connector: 4p4c

power: presume 5v (based on absence of voltage regulator)

protocol: wyse

scottc

06 Nov 2018, 22:49

I like the Patriot one the most - it looks like a WY60, which is a beast of a board, but subtly different.

Chalba

06 Nov 2018, 22:51

The imposter. Fan of vint blacks, more regular numpad layout and unnecessarily red keys.

Myoth

06 Nov 2018, 22:54

Honestly, the Soldier is definitely the coolest out of the bunchm its industrial colourway, classic keycaps without windows for the lock lights, its massive case and the most important part of it ... the holy F0 !

Thank you for doing this and good luck to everyone !

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

06 Nov 2018, 22:58

Myoth wrote: and the most important part of it ... the holy F0 !
lmao, I've spent a crazy amount of time with these keyboards and have not noticed this till you pointed it out

depletedvespene

06 Nov 2018, 23:12

I have voted for the Imposter—impostor—... impostœr.

Why? Soldier, Pawn and Unknown all have a 1U backspace key and an ANSILHE (ANSI + Low Height Extension) Enter key that I seriously dislike — together, those two misfeatures (YMMV) are enough to far surpass the attractiveness of the "fat numpad" and the supranumpad cluster above it.

Patriot and Impostor share the same layout, with a mostly normal ANSI Enter; the main alphanum block can more or less be beaten into being a quirky 75% (plus a numpad and an F row, where Esc could be moved above without too much fuss). With that tied, the next step is the switches... where the impostor wins, as I guess it would be easier to get blank keycaps for it, to replace a select few of the extant ones.

ZedTheMan

06 Nov 2018, 23:55

I voted for the Patriot.

Liberty branded space invaders!

I think that the Patriot has what it takes to save this keyboard country.

JP!

07 Nov 2018, 00:02

Give me liberty or give me...uh well you know where my allegiance lies.

Ame_r

07 Nov 2018, 00:15

The unknown, nice and simple, yet mysterious

JP!

07 Nov 2018, 00:19

Ame_r wrote: The unknown, nice and simple, yet mysterious
The unknown soldier.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

07 Nov 2018, 00:25

SOLDIER: First Class.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

07 Nov 2018, 00:36

The patriot... clearly. Liberty is the most 'murican thing I can think of :D

Lanrefni

07 Nov 2018, 01:02

The Impostor,I'm a sucker for Cherry switches.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

07 Nov 2018, 01:03

//gainsborough wrote: SOLDIER: First Class.
Ooof, that one's a real goober to convert. But it has a bell/buzzer! That has to count for something right?

By the way, here are some sound samples of each.

Riceball

07 Nov 2018, 04:14

Mongo just pawn in game of life.

I voted Pawn, the splash of red and space invader combo was calling to me.

Sangdrax

07 Nov 2018, 04:16

I gotta side with the Pawn. Interesting back, best cap color scheme with sharp bold legends and colors. And a layout that seems like a lot of fun once you can bind keys to whatever you want.

Findecanor

07 Nov 2018, 04:38

Meh. I would only need to pay shipping for a keyboard I do not want.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

07 Nov 2018, 05:17

snacksthecat wrote:
Ooof, that one's a real goober to convert. But it has a bell/buzzer! That has to count for something right?

By the way, here are some sound samples of each.
Mmmmmmmm - SOLDIER sounds the best too!
Findecanor wrote: Meh. I would only need to pay shipping for a keyboard I do not want.
Uhhh... okay? wtf? Hahaha.

wadeak78

07 Nov 2018, 07:54

I voted for the pawn, because I already have one and love it! The white keycaps with gray modifiers and red accents look awesome on the beige yellow case! (please don't enter me in the raffle)

xxhellfirexx

07 Nov 2018, 08:34

Keyboard layout is the most important for me. It doesn't matter how pretty it looks and how good the switches are if the layout requires me to bend over backwards too much. Keyboards like that will just end up as show pieces and I don't have space for that. With that in mind, the patriot and imposter does not have enough modifier keys for daily use. I can deal with the small backspace by pressing both shift keys to do backspace. This leaves the soldier, pawn, and the unknown. Of the three, I like the soldier best because of the industrial look.

marijan

07 Nov 2018, 08:42

Since I never had the chance to try the space invaders, I'd say the Unknown best fits the description :-)
Also, being able to simply connect it to a PS2 port is a huge benefit as I have no idea how to convert the other ones.

Muirium
µ

07 Nov 2018, 10:31

The Stratus branded Solider looks like a General to me. Boss board.

The pawns are my second favourite pick, though every one of these families has its own pros, cons and charm. Even the MX!

Looking at the layouts, ANSI Return is so much nicer than Big Ass, but then I look left of the spacebar. Really got to have at least two mods down there, my main guys, so General Stratus it is!

green-squid

07 Nov 2018, 12:54

I choose the soldier, because
- black coiled cable
- IBM industrial look
- wacky layout, but usable with programming
- linear switches so commando units remain silent for the enemy.
My second pick is the unknown, because he's a poor underdog :)

hansichen

07 Nov 2018, 13:01

The soldier cause it has a nice layout and a pretty industrial look

AdrianMan

07 Nov 2018, 14:00

I choose the Patriot, a little more compact, and the colors + "Liberty" give it a though personality :)

digital_matthew

07 Nov 2018, 15:01

Please put me down for the Soldier. Looks like he's got some stories to tell...

Findecanor

07 Nov 2018, 15:05

I think that one-eyed or large two-eyed (eeeeevil-eyes) Space invaders are the coolest-looking switches, but "The Patriot" and "The Impostor" have the most useful layouts.
"The Soldier"'s layout is a bit too weird IMHO.

lucar

07 Nov 2018, 15:35

Well, You know that I like the Pawn, the red caps give that touch of happyness that makes it stand out

bronz

07 Nov 2018, 16:08

What type of keycaps they all have?

abrahamstechnology

07 Nov 2018, 17:09

The Impostor. I already have a Wyse ASCII as my daily driver and love it.

Return to “Other”