Proxying out of Japan - Seamail vs. Others

Nasanieru

05 Sep 2020, 23:10

So I found something on Yahoo! Auctions that I would like to get. See my post in the keyboard identification thread to learn more.

The problem here is that due to coronavirus, Japan Post has stopped all higher-priority shipments to the US and are only offering seamail as an alternative. Courier services are also an option: Buyee is offering DHL, with ZenMarket offering UPS and FedEx as well.

The issue here is that I don't want the keyboard getting damaged in transit, which I have a feeling is a high risk with seamail, but at the same time I feel like I'm running a risk with the keyboard being bad rubber domes, as identifying the board proved to be impossible with the given information, so I don't want to overspend.

I can get a protective packaging service with Buyee, but that brings the cost up another 1500 yen, which is high enough to cut the savings against the private air couriers to only around $15, which is not a lot considering seamail takes 2-3 months, while with the couriers I can get the package within a week or so.

Does anyone here have experience with seamail? Or should I just forget the savings for speed and get courier service?

Return to “Other”