IBM 3276 Data Entry Keyboard

zslane

21 Aug 2016, 17:39

How would/could you use one of these today?

chzel

21 Aug 2016, 17:49

Thanks to xwhatsit, these are readily convertible to USB with full customisation of keymaps. If you like tactile clicky switches, beamsprings are (in my opinion, and for many others) better than anything out there.
Really worth the cost and effort to restore.

zslane

21 Aug 2016, 17:59

My understanding is that the "click" of a beamspring switch is relatively modest and understated, almost a suggestion of a click rather than the cacophanous mess that is buckling spring. Would that be accurate?

chzel

21 Aug 2016, 18:08

It's a very "clean" and crisp click, it is from the flyplate hitting its stop, and upon release it hits the PCB. It's not understated or muted in any way. It's loud and clear. The sandwich and the case act like the body of a guitar amplifying the sound. No ring, no ping, nothing.
And the tactile event is marvellous. There is resistance building up and at a certain point it collapses and resistance is removed except for a fraction caused by the outer spring. It's very definitive and while the feel is a bit heavy it's not tiring (provided you have trained on BS before!).

Khers

21 Aug 2016, 18:37

I'd also like to register my interest in one of these, provided shipping is half-reasonable

y11971alex

21 Aug 2016, 18:51

I'd like to have one, please!
zslane wrote: My understanding is that the "click" of a beamspring switch is relatively modest and understated, almost a suggestion of a click rather than the cacophanous mess that is buckling spring. Would that be accurate?
1. find a soda can and push on its wall... that's essentially how the beam spring works and what sound it makes.
2. there are beam spring switch testers found on eBay.
3. there's not much residual echo in the case, but the click is very clear and prominent, especially if you have the solenoid operational. It's not the metal-on-plastic sound that buckling springs make with their barrels. In a way, it's softer, but unmistakable just the same. Its onomatopoeia would be a "pop" sound, rather than the "ping" of a Model F.

zslane

21 Aug 2016, 19:09

So it's like those old cricket toys.

The general design has always appealed to me, but I think it might be too loud and pronounced of a click for me.

But hey, the keycaps are marvelous for sure.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

21 Aug 2016, 19:24

I did not know you had so much IBM love zslane?!? :evilgeek:

zslane

21 Aug 2016, 19:42

I like the pre-PC stuff with the beautiful double-shot sphericals. Seeing them ditch those for relentlessly bland, gray dyesub cylindricals (and on obnoxiously loud, pingy buckling sping switches no less) was like watching the fall of the once great Roman empire...

photekq
Cherry Picker

21 Aug 2016, 19:53

If there are any left I would love one.

seebart

21 Aug 2016, 20:30

zslane wrote: I like the pre-PC stuff with the beautiful double-shot sphericals. Seeing them ditch those for relentlessly bland, gray dyesub cylindricals (and on obnoxiously loud, pingy buckling sping switches no less) was like watching the fall of the once great Roman empire...
That's all? How modrate of an IBM rant. :lol:

Invisius

21 Aug 2016, 21:45

Hope this guy comes through for you all, these are just awesome keyboards all around. I think both the switch and case designs are one of the all-time greats from IBM.

I'd buy one of the displays, but it'd probably cost 200+ in shipping to the US. I don't trust DHL with fragile items, either, after they destroyed a 1500 dollar monitor of mine.

seebart

21 Aug 2016, 21:48

Invisius wrote: Hope this guy comes through for you all
I'm slightly sceptical but that's just me. We shall see.

Firebolt1914

21 Aug 2016, 23:32

I really hope that the seller goes through with this, and goes down the list in order(!)

y11971alex

22 Aug 2016, 00:18

Firebolt1914 wrote: I really hope that the seller goes through with this, and goes down the list in order(!)
Please don't. I'm the seventh :shock:

Wodan
ISO Advocate

22 Aug 2016, 07:24

We also need more xwhatsit controller. I got the second-last controller from Ellipse... Not aware of any other source.

seebart

25 Aug 2016, 15:17

ROUMIAN wrote: Hi to all i have 6 keybords 3276/3278
Unfortunately this seems to have been more of a "euphoric offer" by ROUMIAN, just like I had feared. Did any of you PM him? I did, no answer so far.

Shawnlulis

18 Mar 2021, 16:13

I have several of these and I’m wondering what they’re worth

John Doe

18 Mar 2021, 16:28

Shawnlulis wrote:
Mind sharing some pics?

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

18 Mar 2021, 17:47

John Doe wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 16:28
Shawnlulis wrote:
Mind sharing some pics?
seconded :D

Jacobalbertus1

18 Mar 2021, 23:26

Shawnlulis wrote:
i need to try and get one of these that's not insane I want a 327x but man are they just to much

Return to “Gallery”